What OS(s) do you use, which OS do you prefer & why?

pipnina

I imagine most here will be running Windows since, you know, games n stuff. But I thought it would be cool to have a thread about OS usage and preference. I made a little survey thingy on google forms to go along with it, too.

Personally, I'm a Linux kinda person. The only real trouble I've encountered with the OS so far is X11 (which is, thankfully, being replaced by wayland) and Nvidia's crummy drivers. Besides that, I wish more programs supported it, because It's really nice :(. OSX.12 is pretty cool, too, despite it requiring apple hardware to run.

I use Windows, because of games sure, but also because I'm used to it. I'm not adverse to Linux but eh, I've poked at Windows for so long that I can usually fix problems on my own without consulting the interwebs. Usually.

I don't really care for macOS anymore, at least on the GUI side. Its UI/UX paradigms don't sync with how I expect things to work enough that it's not worth it to me to deal with it.

After ages of hating Windows with a passion for being buggy I'm pretty happy with W10 Pro. It's not that it's well designed but I k ow Windoze well enough that I know where everything is. It's stable now, but some functions and Windoze drivers are crap

That's an F in the profile pic

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Win 7 on Main Computer at work, 10 on work laptop, 10 at home. I prefer 10 because it's like 7 but even better optimized for current gen hardware and software, and its a better start menu than windows eight point puke

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Linux itself is amazing, I have Linux Mint on my storage drive and it really is a joy to use. Though the support is just not there yet, so I just use Windows 7. I'm staying far away from Windows 10, hopefully by the time Windows 7 gets too old I'll be able to switch to Linux full time, if not I'll have to dual boot.

Also, Linux can install to flash drives, which is just AMAZING! It's so cool!

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

That survey is rather unclever.

1. It assumes that there are only 32- and 64-bit architectures.
  2. It assumes that everything not listed is either "freeBSD-based" (did you mean "FreeBSD-based"?) or "Other" - which might or might not be a useful field. How did you intend to evaluate the results when everyone just puts an unformatted list of systems into that field?
  3. Why can I only choose one preferred OS when I have 3?

Personally, I'm a Linux kinda person. 

I can totally see that.

Write in C.

2 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

That survey is rather unclever.

1. It assumes that there are only 32- and 64-bit architectures.
  2. It assumes that everything not listed is either "freeBSD-based" (did you mean "FreeBSD-based"?) or "Other" - which might or might not be a useful field. How did you intend to evaluate the results when everyone just puts an unformatted list of systems into that field?
  3. Why can I only choose one preferred OS when I have 3?

I can totally see that.

I guess I should have phrased the question differently. Maybe "if you could use only one operating system for the rest of your life, which one would you like it to be?" would be better?

Well, I wasn't sure whether to include ARM etc (although, ARM has 32 and 64-bit versions now? I think maybe architecture in general is a slight misnomer here anyway).

I know very little about the BSDs. That possibly (probably) shows?:D

There are even 36-bit machines. (Those are mostly quite old though.) 

Yes, it shows. 

Write in C.

On 3/3/2017 at 5:37 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

I use Windows, because of games sure, but also because I'm used to it. I'm not adverse to Linux but eh, I've poked at Windows for so long that I can usually fix problems on my own without consulting the interwebs. Usually.

Linux has way more advantages than common errors.

5 hours ago, Gachr said:

Only errors I've encountered on my desktop linux so far is steam's fonts being a bit weird sometimes (not too big an issue) and my screen refresh rate needing to be set manually at each boot for some reason.

My LAPTOP, however, with the infamous Optimus technology, basically doesn't work. Although this is much more nvidia's fault than Linux'.

2 hours ago, pipnina said:

Only errors I've encountered on my desktop linux so far is steam's fonts being a bit weird sometimes (not too big an issue) and my screen refresh rate needing to be set manually at each boot for some reason.

Try fixing a problem where you can't delete a folder/file because you don't own it. And you can't sudo chmod because you don't own it. And you can't sudo chown because you don't own it.

8 hours ago, Gachr said:

And yet Linux doesn't suit my needs, so it doesn't matter how many advantages it has.

12 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Try fixing a problem where you can't delete a folder/file because you don't own it. And you can't sudo chmod because you don't own it. And you can't sudo chown because you don't own it.

And yet Linux doesn't suit my needs, so it doesn't matter how many advantages it has.

Dunno what you did to get file permissions that messed up...

If your user doesn't have sudo privileges, you'd need to sign in on a user that does. If no users are a member of the sudo group... you've done something very very wrong :) 

If it doesn't suit your needs, that's fine. People can use whatever OS they want as long as they're comfortable. No-one is saying otherwise.

2 minutes ago, pipnina said:

Dunno what you did to get file permissions that messed up...

If your user doesn't have sudo privileges, you'd need to sign in on a user that does. If no users are a member of the sudo group... you've done something very very wrong :) 

I did have sudo privileges. It was more of a file ownership thing that I solved by making an account with the same user ID as whoever owned the file.

If it doesn't suit your needs, that's fine. People can use whatever OS they want as long as they're comfortable. No-one is saying otherwise.

I'm glad you think that way.

I remember being fine with Windows for years. When I first heard about Linux, I was of the mindset that if you can't play games on it, what is the point? So I never took it seriously. But as I became a little more educated and learned that you could run a fair amount of games on it and you could dual boot, I finally gave it a try. The biggest draw for me was the security. Plus, I just wanted to try something new.

I installed Ubuntu 5 or 6.XX (forget), and it didn't take long before I had it installed on multiple machines, was installing it for friends and family, and was using it as my primary OS. The only reason I use Windows anymore is for the games I can't run in Linux. I've actually been stuck in Windows 10 most of the time lately because the Dish Anywhere app runs horribly for me in a VM. I really miss being in Linux but I have to be honest, I've taken quite a liking to Win 10. Even so, I'm going to pick up a splitter and run a long HDMI cable into my office (I already have two going through the wall, why not add another? lol) from the Dish receiver so I won't need to use the Dish Anywhere app anymore and believe me when I say, I look forward to spending most of my time in Ubuntu again.

I run Ubuntu Gnome btw. On both my laptop and desktop. On my laptop, it is incredibly rare for me to even boot into Windows since I don't game on it at all.

So yeah, I absolutely love Linux even though I'm not very good with a terminal. When things work, it is incredibly easy to use. I love the security it brings. I love that it is free and open source. I love that it requires so little effort to maintain and keep secure. There was a time when I would bash Windows all the time and hated using it even when I had to game. But if you take care of it, Windows isn't really that bad. I still question some layout and design choices sometimes but overall, I don't mind using it anymore. But I still prefer to be in Linux.

On my desktop, I run Windows for games and Ubuntu 16.04 for anything else (mostly programming).

On my MacBook, I run Linux Ubuntu, but I also have macOS installed for video-editing and Windows for games, paired with my external 960.

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

I use mostly Arch Linux and Windows 10, just Windows on the desktop, both on the laptop and just Arch on the spare PC. I know a fair bit about both the OSs so I do just fine in either. Plus IMO the wiki and the forums are excellent, way better a resource than anything Ubuntu or Fedora have.

Mine of choice and preference since forever is what Linus decided to call Win9,5 now, I love Win10 rightfully customized.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I have Win10 and Linux (KDE neon). Video performance on Linux kind of sucks compared to Windows since the drivers are worse (60-120 FPS vs 200-300 FPS in TF2 on the itemtest map with an Nvidia 960m), but it's not unusable. I don't game much anymore, so I can stay in Linux 90% of the time now. It's so much more comfortable and easy to customize than Windows. Every time I come back to Linux after using Windows for a bit, it like the moment when you get back home from a long trip and lie down on the couch.