reduce % of CPU, is it possible?

So i was tinkering around on how to reduce my temps of my processor even further, when i wanted to try something, but couldn't find a solution.

Not sure if it is even possible, but eh, can you reduce the maximum output of your processor to 90% instead of 100%?

This would reduce the strain on the processor and in turn, reduce the temperatures...in theory.

So i was wondering if this was possible or not.

Currently on a laptop, so any advanced bios methods would be out of the question for me.

i7 processor, in case it matters (intel tweaking programs for example)

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

For windows 10 this will let you, not sure if its the same on other windows versions.

Start menu > power options > whichever plan you're on, "change plan settings" > change advanced power settings > processor power management > maximum processor state > setting : 100%(usually this by default if you're on high performance power plan) you can change to whatever % you like.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

Start menu > power options > whichever plan you're on, "change plan settings" > change advanced power settings > processor power management > maximum processor state > setting : 100%(usually this by default if you're on high performance power plan) you can change to whatever % you like.

If i do this, the CPU still goes to 100%, but with reduced clockspeeds, it does not alter the %.

It also drops the speedboost options, so that would be not beneficial as well.

If you have certain programs you know are CPU hungry and don't mind a performance hit, there are programs out there which let you throttle them.

BES for example is something I use on my work laptop to throttle google drive uploader, since I don't care if it takes longer to sync my entire hard drive when I make changes, but I do care when it causes the fans so spin up so much my battery gets killed.

edit: I really need to spell check things...

1 minute ago, WarWeeny said:

If i do this, the CPU still goes to 100%, but with reduced clockspeeds, it does not alter the %.

So you want to actually cap the maximum usage at 90% but still have the full clock speeds? I dont think thats possible though some programs might have the option for it.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Unless you're using a used condom for a heatsink, why are you so anal about temps?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

2 minutes ago, AthrunZ said:

If you have certain programs you know are CPU hungry and don't mind a performance hit, there are programs out there which let you throttle them.

BES for example is something I use on my work laptop to throttle google drive uploader, since I don't care if it takes longer to sync my entire hard drive when I make changes, but I do care when it causes the fans so spin up so much my battery gets killed.

edit: I really need to spell check things...

That tool is quite niffty, need to look into that, thanks for the sugestion!

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

So you want to actually cap the maximum usage at 90% but still have the full clock speeds? I dont think thats possible though some programs might have the option for it.

That was the idea, i do not mind using a 3rd party software to get there.

Was pretty sure it was not possible in windows itself, but maybe i overlooked something.

3 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Unless you're using a used condom for a heatsink, why are you so anal about temps?

Lower temps are always nice to have.

Especially if you consider the money going into high-end laptops, i'd like to use it for as long as possible, and reducing temp, means longer usage out of it.

8 minutes ago, WarWeeny said:

That is because now it is 100 percent of the 90 percent, thus why the core frequency is smaller.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Ignoring the hilarious visual, there can be some legitimate reasons, beyond just trying to say you're being tech savvy or something stupid like that.

I'm pretty worried about temps on my laptop at work. I work at a factory; usually I sit in a cube and do things remotely, but when I need to go down to the factory floor and work for a few hours, it's critical my battery life isn't impacted by the fans going nuts cooling off my processor if a background process decides to chew up a ton of processing power (google drive is notoriously bad for my poor i5).

It can be the difference between my poor Toshiba getting 6 hours or 3 hours of battery. 

u cant do this without sacrificing performance..if this is not enough you can reduce the maximum processor state to 95%(performance difference is not noticeable) someone already mentioned how to do that.

both works.

16 minutes ago, Hunter06 said:

u cant do this without sacrificing performance..if this is not enough you can reduce the maximum processor state to 95%(performance difference is not noticeable) someone already mentioned how to do that.

both works.

Throttlestop was exactly what i was looking for actually (linked in the video)

Thanks for the video!

7 hours ago, WarWeeny said:

That tool is quite niffty, need to look into that, thanks for the sugestion!

That was the idea, i do not mind using a 3rd party software to get there.

Was pretty sure it was not possible in windows itself, but maybe i overlooked something.

Lower temps are always nice to have.

Especially if you consider the money going into high-end laptops, i'd like to use it for as long as possible, and reducing temp, means longer usage out of it.

I haven't put more than 15 minutes into my temps and my GPU never passes 65C at around 35%ish fan speed, and my CPU doesn't pass 60 with the pump at quiet and the fans at 800RPM now that the paste has cured (keeping in mind that my Pentium genuinely could benefit from a delid, hence why I asked for an AIO for Christmas and not a new GPU even though that really needs replaced too).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)