The Toaster Project(and everything happaning with it)

Update:

A wild update apears!

For those that didnt notice, i made the LAN PC 5.0 just last week, but its not replaceing this computer. i might get another 1050TI though and another SFX PSU and keep both because its pretty awesome actiually :D Anyway ASRock are proveing they are awesome once again by offering to RMA the board i bought second hand lol! so i shipped it off to their Netherlands RMA department just a few minutes ago. Its massively cheaper to RMA this board then finding a new and board it seems so i guess this is pretty nice. Will probably just get a new board because im pretty sure i broke like the chipset part of it xD Will have to look into WHY it broke once i get it back though, could be that the way i have it mounted in the case shorts something and thats what killed it after about half an hour... Thats all for now, dont worry its not dead just the motherboard is :P 

Hope you guys are enjoying this project because i find it really fun to work on! :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

Wait what? An update?

Yep, here we go! Update and more or less completion of the project! Got my board RMAd with ASRock, and the ASRock part went smooth but the postal was horrible because PostNord is terrible. Wont go into the details of that but they handled it really poorly and this could have been completed about a week ago if it wasent for them fucking up. Motherboard arived in the stupidest cardboard box i have ever recived anything in, but there was bubble wrap and foam enough to cover the fact that the motherboard box was just flying around if you shook it -_- Got a cooler backplate i wasent suposed to as well, dosent fit the C7 in any way but thanks i guess ASRock? The first thing i noticed when i unpacked the mobo was that something was different, and i couldnt place exactly WHAT was diffrent. turns out they changed the heatsink for the VRM, no clue if this design is any better or worse but it goes pretty well with the airflow through my cooler so thats something. rest of the board seems identical exept this one dosent have a fuckd up CMOS battery holder and the RAM slot isnt chipped. Anyway i POSTed it and it worked just fine, installed everything, this time doing a better job of cable management then before even, and i didnt tape down the PSU, will do that later. Anyway booted into windows 10 just fine and passed a few hours of IXT so its probably fine. did some overclocking on the 1050TI and it seems to hit a wall before 2100MHz, it can get to 2100MHz but no matter what the voltage it will crash after a bit. anything above 2100MHz just freaks out the card and the driver and requres a restart of the computer lol.

pictures:

Spoiler

DSC_0067.thumb.PNG.a665dffca7589c4e042d4f97f88543d8.PNG

DSC_0069.thumb.PNG.70f1df6e0a51ec5c3ce7b61e84ba08ae.PNG

DSC_0068.thumb.PNG.f6855690448067f84506b83d23f79db5.PNG

DSC_0070.thumb.PNG.808501fe1cf87505045c29240dab5917.PNG

DSC_0071.thumb.PNG.b610048325162522eee775a799d59244.PNG

DSC_0072.thumb.PNG.a33bb05935818b5a6e2c680811725b8e.PNG

DSC_0073.thumb.PNG.255b8fccba469ea8be9bbde2210dbc7b.PNG

Max CPU temp was about 81C after 45min of IXT, but i will try to get a 80mm fan from somewhere so i can stuff it in the back and exhaust air, because there is no actiual exhaust from the case beyond passive flow and the small amount the GPU poops out the rear.

There are a coupple things left to tidy up:

Exhaust fan

Front panel lights

Front power button

Tapeing down the PSU

Benchmarks

Thats about it for now, next update i have no clue when its going to be tbh, might work on this a bit this weekend, i have no clue.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

• 3 weeks later...

you know that RAM i skipped on? ok you probably dont il be honest but i skipped on getting 2x4GB 1886MHz DDR3 for €30 back when building the LAN PC 5.0, but anyway i got 4x4GB 2133MHz DDR3 for €52 just now! :D that will be going into Northern Bee, freeing up the 2x8GB 1886MHz from Northern Bee to be put in the Toaster! this is a pretty nice upgrade and now i just need something like a GT 1030 and a new SFX PSU and i can have BOTH the LAN PC 5.0 and The Toaster alive at the same time! Anyway much text for little update but this will be an awesome addition to the Toaster, quite the upgrade going from 4GB to 16GB xD 

Builds:

Spoiler

• 4 months later...

5ae02542ea67c_icantbeliveitsnotdead!.png.0f6eb7342d56212d74861ff3cf66d650.png

Yah i actiually did stuff with it! Found a Maximus VI Impact with a screwed socket for €30 and bent all the pins back. One pin is missing though so if you have a stick of RAM in the outer slot it throws a no memory installed code(55). Without it it seems to be just fine so current specs of the Toaster Project would be:

CPU - I5 4690K

GPU - GTX 1050TI

RAM: - 1x8GB of HyperX Red DDR3 1866MHz

Mobo: - AS(s)US Maximus VI Impact

Cooler: - Scythe big shuriken 2 rev b

Storage: - 1TB 7200rpm HDD

PSU: - BeQuiet! - POWER 2 300W 80+ Bronze

Case: Fujitsu Scaleo C(:x)

Also its got an SSD and DVD burner in there but i barely use the DVD burner and the SSD is pretty much dead. i have another SSD so im probably swapping it in soon.

here are the latest pictures of it:

Spoiler

9gEpzT6.jpg

S3YSmXR.jpg

jyfYMn8.jpg

79H3PPE.jpg

OhIr7si.jpg

0kPONwp.jpg

PIdwnmb.jpg

IMO the new mobo looks really nice in there, with the added bonuses of not needing to carry with me a bunch of adapters and shit everywhere. and i got it for just €30 which is nothing compared to the €120 the fully working boards go for :D being an ASUS board im sure il have problems with it but so far it works great!

I will be bringing the Toaster to Nordsken which is a big convent/LAN here in Sweden if anyone cares, also brought it to the last NTI LAN and it was perfect but that was before the mobo swap.

Thats it for now, been ages since the last update but it finally happaned lol

Builds:

Spoiler

• 5 months later...

Huh... I remember my old Pentium 4 3.2 doing at least 2 in win7 performance...

• 3 weeks later...
Spoiler

0bd.jpg.50ab7b9c25568c8431fa9b5c1093faa0.jpg

wat? an update again? yep, kinda?

anyway got my hands on an M.2 drive, an NVME 256GB one made by Intel and well, the Toaster has this nice motherboard that happens to be one of the very few M.2 slot equipped 4th gen boards :D it wont be used as the boot drive right away but the plan is to in the future not have to have a 2.5" SSD in the Toaster so i can use my A400 120GB drive for a new project i have in mind :) 

performance compared to a slightly used Kingston A400(the boot drive):

Spoiler

NVME 256gb:

nvmebenchmark.PNG.cff89fc88b706e8d401c163605afdcd9.PNG

A400 120gb:

satabenchmark.PNG.a86606dd6e95b1a64236e2467caa0416.PNG

not quite sure why the A400 scores so damn slow in Crystaldisk but its almost as good in ATTO but whatever. also the strange dip on the NVME 24mb write is probably just a one time anomaly, didnt run more than one pass.

thanks for reading, this computer is really one of my faves and it does it job perfectly :D 

Builds:

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

Hello, I actually have the exact same case, but I cannot get the PSU nor the 5.25 + 3.5 inch drive caddy out of the case, could you perhaps explain how you did it?

Thanks in advance.

13 minutes ago, dontmindme32 said:

Hello, I actually have the exact same case, but I cannot get the PSU nor the 5.25 + 3.5 inch drive caddy out of the case, could you perhaps explain how you did it?

Thanks in advance.

You have a 2005 Fujitsu Scaleo C? Woah... Il post pictures once I get home and have detailed instructions for you. If there is anything, please ask because this is my favourite computer I have ❣️

Builds:

Spoiler

Ha thanks mate, 

From what I know my parents bought it around 14 years ago, according to a nicely preserved label under the cover it was made on the 24th of December 2004, it served them well before being replaced with an Athlon x2 Compaq, I only just recently pulled it out from the basement after finding it at the bottom of a cabinet filled with boxes and wires, I still have all the original parts in pristine condition (Albeit its fair share of dust), except for the PSU wires that I had to mutilate as they were smeared in some disgusting glue which was likely used to keep them together, but the glue just ended up smearing onto the drive caddy and my fingers.

54 minutes ago, dontmindme32 said:

Ha thanks mate, 

From what I know my parents bought it around 14 years ago, according to a nicely preserved label under the cover it was made on the 24th of December 2004, it served them well before being replaced with an Athlon x2 Compaq, I only just recently pulled it out from the basement after finding it at the bottom of a cabinet filled with boxes and wires, I still have all the original parts in pristine condition (Albeit its fair share of dust), except for the PSU wires that I had to mutilate as they were smeared in some disgusting glue which was likely used to keep them together, but the glue just ended up smearing onto the drive caddy and my fingers.

Yah the PSU wires has some wrapping which gets disgusting, I still have all mine left on there though. Did you get the PSU out? It's the easy part as it was a couple screws in the back, unplug everything on the motherboard and then just start pulling and stuff iirc. Some wires are stuck to the 3.5" but those came off iirc. It's been quite a while since I removed the PSU and it only took an hour or so and after that it's never gone back in because that's where my SSDs are now :P

Here is how you removed the 3.5" and 5.25":

Start by taking of the shell so it looks like this:

IMG_20181221_213325.thumb.jpg.96b4ce43cc7ceba0e0476dfeb7f6ae54.jpg

Then grab the handle:IMG_20181221_213331.thumb.jpg.9efc0eb24ad30913c0ad31c85bc4b698.jpg

And lift up, should swing open very easy. Looks like this once you have it lifted:

IMG_20181221_213340.thumb.jpg.a3edb08df0a1f4ea63d0c44a06c79e03.jpg

-end of part one-

Builds:

Spoiler

Oh sweet, I got the first part right,20181221_215600.thumb.jpg.eb1d95c16fe368f55bee9e592d54832e.jpg this is the current state of my system, and nope, the PSU is still stuck in, there seems to be no screws in the back of it, though there is one in a position I simply can't reach with my current tools. I'll likely attempt to borrow something from my neighbour tommorow if I don't find an alternative.

-part two-

now pull up on these two tabs so they come up a little bit:

G08Vgl3.jpg

DnU12Io.jpg

and then grab the handle again and lift it back and up and it should slide right out almost frictionless :) 

to get the HDD out you need to open this tab here:

AFgLmq2.jpg

like this:

WWhRQyD.jpg

and then the HDD part slides about one centimeter up and then you can just lift it straight off.

to get the 5.25" out you now just pull on the tabs on the side like this(i remember mine were extremely hard to do the first time but now they are easy) :

tFa2MmR.jpg

from there the 5.25" disk drive slides right out and there are similar tabs on the 3.5" and you can just pull the HDD out once they are open(quite a bit of friction with that though)

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dontmindme32 said:

Oh sweet, I got the first part right,20181221_215600.thumb.jpg.eb1d95c16fe368f55bee9e592d54832e.jpg this is the current state of my system, and nope, the PSU is still stuck in, there seems to be no screws in the back of it, though there is one in a position I simply can't reach with my current tools. I'll likely attempt to borrow something from my neighbour tommorow if I don't find an alternative.

sweet man, looks like your 3.5" bay is missing and that the system in general has been pretty much robbed of stuff, the RAM is gone and no rear fan. im guessing you did that but im also guessing you want to do something like i have with mine so that dosnt matter much :P 

the PSU has two tabs(visible in your picture right on where the PSU sits in the middle of the picture) and it needs to unhook from those so it needs a shove forward

Builds:

Spoiler

Yeah I pulled out most of the old stuff as it was beyond obsolete and was just blocking my screwdrivers, but I have it all laying right beside me.

And wow wasn't expecting such a screwless design from a computer lik e this, got the PSU and drive bay out now, except for this screw which is the bane of my existence, I have no tool that can reach it (All my screws don't fit or are slightly too long) so I suppose I'll see what I can do tommorow, but thanks alot mate I would have been stuck in the same spot for quite a while without it ?

20181221_224926.jpg

2 minutes ago, dontmindme32 said:

Yeah I pulled out most of the old stuff as it was beyond obsolete and was just blocking my screwdrivers, but I have it all laying right beside me.

And wow wasn't expecting such a screwless design from a computer lik e this, got the PSU and drive bay out now, except for this screw which is the bane of my existence, I have no tool that can reach it (All my screws don't fit or are slightly too long) so I suppose I'll see what I can do tommorow, but thanks alot mate I would have been stuck in the same spot for quite a while without it ?

use a screwdriver at an angle? could work?

im happy to help with anything regarding the Scaleo C, i really like the frame size and what i have done with mine :D 

Builds:

Spoiler

Yeah I've certainly tried it at an angle, but they either don't fit or slightly miss it due to their length, I'll try and search more thoroughy for something that fits tommorow, cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2017 at 4:08 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

The Toaster Project

Wellcome to the Toaster Project thread AKA My dream case finaly in my hands!

This isnt something thats going to be haveing an update every week or anything like that

this project is going to take quite a bit of time, about 6 months most likely because of my planed hardware and my funds.

The plan is to make this the new LAN PC and to take it to LAN parties.

What im going for isnt going to be top specs nor is it going to be to do everything 100% proper,

its all about the fun, the experience and the result of The Toaster Project.

Background:

I fell in love with this case and cases similar to it back at the start of 2016, i had seen a similar case to this used as a archive server with full custom PCBs from about ~1990, it was small, lacked a front panel but it was tiny and heavy as a brick, i didnt think much of it back then but then the LAN PC came around and i started to think about SFX PCs a bit more and started searching around for old cases. i found one of these for "cheap" but i had no money back then, the entire budget for the LAN PC 1.0 was about $120 and i coudlent get one. My affection for this case and similar cases was further reinforced when i saw in my highschools storeroom a verry similar case to this, ITX, this shape and retro looking. there are sevral cases like this, media center cases from the 2000's and earlier, i bid on about a month back and i bid a resonable $35 and shipping and then some other person in the forum thread went "$80 cash, il pick it up in 20min" and i had no chance to compete with that bid so i got nothing from that but just today i pulled out my phone during math and saw i had a notification about more results for me watch on a local sales forum, they are usiually nothing special, just idiots selling shit to eatchother but i saw the ass of this one and knew i had to have it. I bid $30 and pickup instantly and i got it.

The Plan:

The current plan is to put an ITX motherboard and a Ryzen 3 CPU in in paired with probably a the same GTX 660 or if i have cash enough something new. For now however its my side machine for older games like NFSU2. seeing as the hardware im aiming for isnt out yet this project is going to take a while and im going to do a compleate rebuild of my main computer after the summer(thats the plan atleats) so this project is a bit on the back burner but right now im going to be doing some stuff with it, il be setting it up in some way pretty soon, probably this weekend and then il just keep updating this thread every time something happens regarding The Toaster Project. 

Pictures:

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20170228_164502.jpgIMG_20170228_164535.jpgIMG_20170228_164554.jpgIMG_20170228_164513.jpgIMG_20170228_170438.jpgIMG_20170228_170332.jpg

*Placeholder for inside the computer shots that i havent taken yet*

Specs:

Here are the specs in its starting form:

CPU:--------Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz

GPU:---------------- NVIDIA FX 5500

RAM:--------------------- 2x1GB DDR

Storage:---------- 1x80GB IDE HDD

WiFi:- It has WiFi thats really great

That is all for now, hope you enjoyed the read and like the project because for me its personaly going to be increadably fun, its going to take quite a while but in its current form i can play NFSU2 on it and im pretty much fine with that for now, its going to be quite the journy untill this PC is completed. Also if anyone happens to live in Sweden and has a LGA1155 ITX motherboard hit me up in PMs and this project will move along pretty quick seeing as i wont have to wait for Ryzen 3 if i shove my I7 2600 in it lol.

Thanks for reading :D

Razer Toaster?

1 minute ago, KevinSenni said:

Razer Toaster?

no Razer for me, only Razer thing i own is an Nostromo :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

• 9 months later...

ah yes, enslaved computing power

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

3 minutes ago, GrockleTD said:

ah yes, enslaved computing power

ah yes, enslaved necro

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

ah yes, enslaved necro

lel. at any rate, i definitely want to try something like this at some point, but i should probably finish my other 2 PC's first...

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

Just now, GrockleTD said:

lel. at any rate, i definitely want to try something like this at some point, but i should probably finish my other 2 PC's first...

if you ever do, make sure to tag me :)

Builds:

Spoiler