7700 vs 7700K what should i get?

rottomer

i'm planning to upgrade my pc and i am not sure what cpu and motherboard i should get.

is the difference in clock speed that important? i never tried cpu oc but if it not very difficult i think i can do it.

i have a air cooled cpu cooler so i dont think i can oc that much.

1-What are you upgrading from?

2-What cooler do you have? What's its name?

3-What are planning to do with your PC?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

For my budget build at the time I went for i7-4790 and I regret nothing. Main deciding factor was the price difference between non-k and K version. The 20% price difference wouldnt provide 20% performance increase. 

If your budget is tight get non-K
If you can spend extra or need more performance (are you using yopur PC for work ? Will u keep this CPU for over 4 years ?) then get K version.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Or go for the red team.

46 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

1-What are you upgrading from?

2-What cooler do you have? What's its name?

3-What are planning to do with your PC?

1. i5 4570

2. Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 CO

3. gaming mostly maybe coding 

Just now, rottomer said:

1. i5 4570

2. Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 CO

3. gaming mostly maybe coding 

What GPU do you have? Doesn't look like a necessary upgrade to me. 

Pascal laptops guide

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

What GPU do you have? Doesn't look like a necessary upgrade to me. 

gtx 980

i get really bad performance on bf1. need to play on low settings and still get massive fps drops. 

2 minutes ago, rottomer said:

gtx 980

i get really bad performance on bf1. need to play on low settings and still get massive fps drops. 

Hmm I don't think its a CPU. An i5 4570 is more than capable at running the game above low. Does this occur in other games? Are you playing in DX 11/DX 12?

Pascal laptops guide

54 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

If you can I would wait for Ryzen to show some benchmarks.

I am not in ha hurry that much.

When is it lunching?

21 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Hmm I don't think its a CPU. An i5 4570 is more than capable at running the game above low. Does this occur in other games? Are you playing in DX 11/DX 12?

Mainly Cs go and it workes fine

I am using DX 11

Also when I play the CPU usage is almost maxed

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

march 2nd

I can wait for that

3 minutes ago, rottomer said:

I can wait for that

if the 1700 can overclock well you could get an 8 core for 329 usd that would be also good for gaming. i mean it really depends on how the gaming benchmarks turn out but an 8 core would be quite useful if you have programs that you use that can utilize them. 

12 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

if the 1700 can overclock well you could get an 8 core for 329 usd that would be also good for gaming. i mean it really depends on how the gaming benchmarks turn out but an 8 core would be quite useful if you have programs that you use that can utilize them. 

The only CPU intensive one is bf1 

1 minute ago, rottomer said:

The only CPU intensive one is bf1 

then i would probably wait for price drops. i know i saw the 6700k for 260 usd at microcenter if you do in store pickup so it seems there may be some price drops of intel chips after the ryzen launch. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

then i would probably wait for price drops. i know i saw the 6700k for 260 usd at microcenter if you do in store pickup so it seems there may be some price drops of intel chips after the ryzen launch. 

i am not from the us 

i will see the benchmark result when ryzen lunches and will check my local store if they even going to get ryzen cpu and motherboards 

@rottomer 

If it were me I would wait for the ryzen performance to be shown and then make a decision but if an i7 is what you want i would put it like this, if you want to spend the time and efffort to overclock to show a little more performance get the k series along with a overclockable motherboard, if not then you can save a bit by getting the non k series

48 minutes ago, hellochicken said:

@rottomer 

If it were me I would wait for the ryzen performance to be shown and then make a decision but if an i7 is what you want i would put it like this, if you want to spend the time and efffort to overclock to show a little more performance get the k series along with a overclockable motherboard, if not then you can save a bit by getting the non k series

Without oc do you think the extra performance of the k is worth the extra money?

And do.you think this motherboard is good for some slight oc 

Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P

@rottomer

If you are thinking of a new motherboard and processor I would wait for more ryzen performance benchmarks to be shown then to make a decision though if you want to for intel the extra performance of the k series without a overclock is normally not worth it but if you overclock it then it will perform better and for a motherboard as long as the manufacturer says it supports overclocking and the motherboard has the features you want it should be good but if you do plan to overclock make sure you have good cooling and much patience

1 hour ago, hellochicken said:

@rottomer 

Without oc do you think the extra performance of the k is worth the extra money?

And do.you think this motherboard is good for some slight oc 

Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P