Amplifier How many Speakers Could I use?

Lazmarr

I have a Marantz PM6006, which has two speaker Terminals on the back. In the manual it states that these can be used for Bi wiring OR for four speakers. However when using 4 speakers it must be between 8-16 Ohm;

marantz_pm6006_08.jpg?

My current speakers are a pair of Dali Zensor 1 which are 6 Ohm. Would it be possible to add in another pair of Zensor 1 for a total of 4 speakers?

How does the maths work?

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Well if the manual says that you need 8-16ohm speakers if you connect 4 of them, then connecting four 6ohm speakers isn't really something that is supported.

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

It's a modern amp and I assume it has protection so it probably won't explode or anything.

If you dare you can connect them and see if they get loud enough. 

Might produce some problems long term. I don't really know enough to give an answer to that.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

See  http://manuals.marantz.com/PM6006/NA/EN/OBAOSYzoqyqbwq.php

It accepts speakers with impedance between 4 ohm and 16 ohm in either A or B ... so naturally when you have both A and B populated, you add the impedances (separate values for each channel) and you get the minimum impedance of 8 ohm.  Should be a maximum of 32 ohm, but the amplifier is probably "tuned" for lower impedances and doesn't like high impedance speakers.

So when you put two 6 ohm speakers, the impedance will be 12 ohm, which will be fine as it's between 8 ohm and 16 ohm... so yeah, you should be fine with those pairs of speakers.

So basically that just means you could use speakers with impedance higher than 8 ohm in either A or B, but you can't use 4 of those with impedance higher than 8 ohm, as it will be above the maximum allowed of 16 ohm.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

See  http://manuals.marantz.com/PM6006/NA/EN/OBAOSYzoqyqbwq.php

It accepts speakers with impedance between 4 ohm and 16 ohm in either A or B ... so naturally when you have both A and B populated, you add the impedances (separate values for each channel) and you get the minimum impedance of 8 ohm.  Should be a maximum of 32 ohm, but the amplifier is probably "tuned" for lower impedances and doesn't like high impedance speakers.

So when you put two 6 ohm speakers, the impedance will be 12 ohm, which will be fine as it's between 8 ohm and 16 ohm... so yeah, you should be fine with those pairs of speakers.

So basically that just means you could use speakers with impedance higher than 8 ohm in either A or B, but you can't use 4 of those with impedance higher than 8 ohm, as it will be above the maximum allowed of 16 ohm.

Oh right. I see. I had been trying to read up on it but came across parallel and series wiring instead and became utterly confused haha.

So when using two outputs I just add the pairs of speakers together?

So if I have a pair of speakers which are 6 ohm and I want to add another pair of 6 ohm, which will occupy the second set of terminals, then it becomes   6+6(ohm)=12 ohms?

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2017 at 4:02 PM, Lazmarr said:

So if I have a pair of speakers which are 6 ohm and I want to add another pair of 6 ohm, which will occupy the second set of terminals, then it becomes   6+6(ohm)=12 ohms?

Might be a bit late but I wanted to add this:

Really depends. Are the terminals from that channel connected in series or in paralell?  

Series makes no sense since then if you'd connect only one speaker, it wouldn't work so it must be in paralell.  

If the speaker are in parallel, the total impedance of two 6 ohm speaker will be 3 ohm. You could look up Ohm's Law but I won't bother you with it here.  

Thats why you need at least 8ohm speakers if you connect two of them to one channel, since in the end it will be a 4ohm load for the amp. And 4ohm is the minimum that the amp is rated for.

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-