Server Room Vlog Series

On 2/24/2017 at 9:22 AM, JackHubbleday said:

Can anyone answer something for me RE: "New Whannack/Whannock Server"

So Linus stepped on the power strip right? Which caused Whannack/Whannock server to reboot, as it did the POST checks with the fans etc..

BUT,

Why did it reboot? Is it for some reason not connected to the UPS? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it their main production server? Surely it would make a lot of sense to have that on the UPS?

I don't know if I'm missing something or have mistaken the role of Whannack/Whannock server but I think any server needs a UPS connected due to the nature of them and the price etc...

Can anyone shed any light? I'm purely curious.

Kind Regards,

Jack

If im not mistaken he stepped on a switch coming from the UPS. So it basically cut the connection to the UPS, hence killing everything! :)

On 23-2-2017 at 11:26 PM, nicklmg said:

Each of the partner products comes in at some point during the 3-part series :)

Ep. 2 should come this weekend, with Ep. 3 coming later next week!

It'd better comes today!

2 hours ago, Jamie42 said:

It'd better comes today!

They released a video on the ass covering maneuver by EVGA, the iCX cooler

On 2/27/2017 at 7:36 AM, KuJoe said:

The cage nuts are snap to put in and take out (literally) with this nice little tool (I never leave home without it):

cage_nut_tool.jpg

I think I have that took kit :)

1 hour ago, en1gMATIC said:

I think I have that took kit :)

It was a gift from HP, our rep took my team out to lunch one day and handed those out.

-KuJoe

On 3/7/2017 at 10:28 AM, KuJoe said:

It was a gift from HP, our rep took my team out to lunch one day and handed those out.

I've got an old official branded Compaq service technician screwdriver, freakin amazing. I think it's about 30-35 years old, best tool I have. It'll open and unscrew anything from HPE and basically every other server manufacturer. The handle isn't too wide and bulky and the bits use super tough metal that never wear down, like ever.

Hard to see but end screws off and that's where the bit's go in.

165507-500x500.jpg

On 3/4/2017 at 5:48 PM, WillOliver said:

If im not mistaken he stepped on a switch coming from the UPS. So it basically cut the connection to the UPS, hence killing everything! :)

Thank, I wasn't sure where the switch was that's all. I thought it was behind the UPS lol 

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

And we're still waiting for part 3! This is not "fine".

6 hours ago, celebrir said:

And we're still waiting for part 3! This is not "fine".

Been waiting for it as well. This server room cleanup series has been one of the most interesting stuff from LMG in a while.

But it's "coming soon" apparently.

23 minutes ago, FireFall said:

when is it coming

My guess is Sunday 

On 2/23/2017 at 2:24 PM, TheSnakeyGamer said:

Can someone please tell me what Linus was using to clean the servers as I have been looking for something like that for a while.

Air compressor.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

What are the RGBW kits he was using? I'm looking for some with magnetic strips like the one in the video. 

Thanks, :)

all that work to keep everything running smoothly and safely but yet it appears the server room has sprinkler heads why not remove them and replace them with a gas flood system (fire suppression) 

19 minutes ago, brisky44 said:

all that work to keep everything running smoothly and safely but yet it appears the server room has sprinkler heads why not remove them and replace them with a gas flood system (fire suppression) 

Because to have a sprinkler removed is typically expensive thing to do, and it's not something an untrained professional can do. It also means additional down time due to all electronics being moved away because there will be water coming down when it happens, and the time it takes to properly test the lines for leaks after working on them.

Plus, by the time sprinklers typically kick in, whatever triggered them would already have caused unrepairable damage to the systems anyways.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

That top youtube comment and Linus' reply are absolutely hilarious

58 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Because to have a sprinkler removed is typically expensive thing to do, and it's not something an untrained professional can do. It also means additional down time due to all electronics being moved away because there will be water coming down when it happens, and the time it takes to properly test the lines for leaks after working on them.

Plus, by the time sprinklers typically kick in, whatever triggered them would already have caused unrepairable damage to the systems anyways.

obviously would have to get it professionally installed as requires maintenance etc.

gas flood is designed to extinguish a fire at an early stage using an aspirating smoke detection system which will detect smoke well and truly before flame is present.

most systems have separate stages stage 1 warning giving time to stop gas release in a false alarm

Stage 2 been gas release. 

sprinkler system can be removed from server room easily by professional isolating the system and draining isn't a big task and removing from area to allow for new installation of gas flood pipes and heads.

if a small electrical fire was to occur by the time it is detected by the sprinkler system the equipment will be damaged by the fire its self then the additional damage caused by the discharge of the sprinkler.

This is why I gas flood system is better as it will detect smoke before it turns into a flame releasing the gas (fm200,inergen) changing the environment type so combustion cannot occur which will stop any damage to gear and data and any risk of fire

Linus this is just a suggestion and if you ever want to change your server room to something better you should have went with something like this.

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/acousticfoam/acousticfoam.html

It would have been a better solution for sound proofing and you would not have to worry about dust or have to use any other material to cover it like you did to cover the jean insulation.... This is similar to what they use in music recording studios..

Also when it comes to hanging that insulation you hung up I would have used these instead of nails..These nails have a washer on them that gives a better hold and support which would not pull through as easy as nails do..

https://www.amazon.com/Ideal-Security-Inc-W4005BX125-Polyhead/dp/B005TE3A5Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489292361&sr=8-1&keywords=insulation+nails

The way that fabric was folded/put into place, as well as how the padding was put was horrible. Not talking about nails.  

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.