Server Room Vlog Series

Really awesome project, loved episode 2; Just would love to watch Episode 3 and am willing to pay if an Admin got back to me about my floatplane subscription :P hint hint

I hope SEGA doesn't make a copyright claim for the Sonic sound effects. They have a history with YouTubers.

They really need to plug that ModMic into a cheapo USB soundcard. The reason they don't sound good out of the box is because they're almost always not getting enough juice from the mobo. 

𝙶𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢 𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚕

I seem to have picked up on something that hasn't been mentioned yet: Right in the beginning of Episode 1 Linus says that he needs room to build a PetaByte memory system working with Seagate. The question I have about that is: Does LTT actually have a use for a PetaByte of memory?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Server needs some RGB goodness.  Otherwise enjoying the series.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

7 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

I seem to have picked up on something that hasn't been mentioned yet: Right in the beginning of Episode 1 Linus says that he needs room to build a PetaByte memory system working with Seagate. The question I have about that is: Does LTT actually have a use for a PetaByte of memory?

There is definitely some overkill (like in everything at LMG), also due to the partnership/sponsorship.

However... my guesses.... they will definitely do some kind of RAID so capacity is reduced. They likely shot hours of video every day, in very high resolution, and after the edits they probably archive everything. So if you look into mid-long term they will probably manage to fill it up...

Kind of a little surprised that LTT hasn't set up a render farm to complete their rendering faster - isn't that how all the big companies do it? yes i know, expensive blah blah...

I was just thinking during the video that instead of those blasted cage nuts, you guys could have used rack studs, from rackstuds.com.  I've always wanted to use them but haven't had the opportunity yet.

Just now, Devryguy81 said:

I was just thinking during the video that instead of those blasted cage nuts, you guys could have used rack studs, from rackstuds.com.  I've always wanted to use them but haven't had the opportunity yet.

The cage nuts are snap to put in and take out (literally) with this nice little tool (I never leave home without it):

cage_nut_tool.jpg

-KuJoe

29 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

The cage nuts are snap to put in and take out (literally) with this nice little tool (I never leave home without it):

I need one! I've completely murdered my fingers on those little fucks.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

I need one! I've completely murdered my fingers on those little fucks.

Sometimes they come with cabinets or boxes of cage nuts depending on the brand, I used to have a really nice one but it didn't fit in my tool kit that well, it looked like this one: https://www.datacentergear.com/hot-deals/cage-nut-tool.html

-KuJoe

On 2/23/2017 at 6:26 PM, nicklmg said:

Each of the partner products comes in at some point during the 3-part series :)

Ep. 2 should come this weekend, with Ep. 3 coming later next week!

Woohoo!! *Just a tad excited, clearly*

11 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

8k video uses ALOT of space especially when uncompressed if they start putting 8k footage on there it will be full within 3 years i bet you your talking about 40GB for 10 mins of footage (based on how much my 4k uncompressed footage takes up) 

I lurk a lot

Why is showing the recording of the server room a security risk?

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

2 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Why is showing the recording of the server room a security risk?

Maybe if someone hacked into any equipment there, they might get visual feedback of their successes.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d  Motherboard:  Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite  RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 16GB DDR5 6000   GPU:  Zotac RTX 4090

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair SHIFT RM1000x  Display:  ASUS AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC

Who is Johnny, the UPS and switching guy, who is helping Linus?

On 3/2/2017 at 1:34 AM, LT16 said:

Who is Johnny, the UPS and switching guy, who is helping Linus?

Its me,

No just kidding.

I do not believe he is a full time employee, he just helps out with anything server related. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

Its me,

No just kidding.

I do not believe he is a full time employee, he just helps out with anything server related. 

Yup, he is their contracted IT guy.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 hour ago, FireFall said:

When is PART 3 coming????

Probably today, they said late this week earlier in the thread.

33 minutes ago, FireFall said:

Thanks for the reply....

NOT today, today is Friday so today is WAN SHOW

1 hour ago, FireFall said:

OH NOOOOOO! WANT WAN SHOW AND VIDEO BOTH!!!!!!!

Pay for Floatplane then :D 

8 hours ago, FireFall said:

OH NOOOOOO! WANT WAN SHOW AND VIDEO BOTH!!!!!!!

watch the WAN show, they mention the next part coming in the next week