AMD Ryzen HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED!!!

DocSwag
7 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

Yeah they can all be overclocked, I'm aware of that. I just tried to say they won't do a very good job on overclocking compared to Intel chips since the lower (x)W. 

um.. please explain your reasoning here?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, MValuableP said:

I don't remember. If you saw Linus' video there was the part about them having lower (I believe TDP) such as 65W or 95W on the higher models.

65W TDP goes to the 1700, 95W TDP goes to the other two. And no, that doesn't really affect overclocking, it just means it'll produce less heat (probably).

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

I don't remember. If you saw Linus' video there was the part about them having lower (I believe TDP) such as 65W or 95W on the higher models.

Remember when you start overclocking, the chips doesn't have to run within their normal TDP.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

4 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11143/amd-launch-ryzen-52-more-ipc-eight-cores-for-under-330-preorder-today-on-sale-march-2nd

2686D925-5790-4704-AFDF-F880984D6ACD-2385-000004B323B8150B_tmp.png

92282D70-0A7A-4780-BC94-E9E4A93F6FD5-2385-000004B326C63B7E_tmp.png

52% IPC? So by the looks of the benchmarks Ryzen is slightly behind Broadwell ipc, so about Haswell or so. HOWEVER, those prices though! It seems all the leaks were real, and we really are getting an 8 core CPU for $330!!! Ryzen, it seems, is gonna completely shake up the CPU market wit amd pricing 8 core CPUs at 1/3 of the price they used to be!!! Holy crap!!! 

The CPU market, it seems, is ready for a HUGE shake up now! What are you guy's thoughts?

EDIT: So I just watched the LTT Ryzen video, and it seems that the cooler these CPUs will ship with comes with RGB! I know some of you will say this is too much, but I think it's a great move. Tests have already shown the wraith is on par with the 212 evo in performance and is just a bit louder, so adding RGB means that for budget (ish) users they might not even need an aftermarket CPU cooler anymore! That's reall neat IMO and only adds to the Ryzen value proposition.

EDIT 2: Thanks to @SCGazelle, I've realized that it seems a lot of AM4 mobos have been listed on Newegg. You can't order them yet, but they are there. Most will be released within a week of March 2nd. The X370 boards seem to start around $160 but most are at least $200, so it's an X99 equivalent, and the B350 boards are priced around z170/z270. You can check the mobos out here.

Im Most interested in the AMD Ryzen 3 1200x. It is the Best of the AMD Ryzen 3 Seres SUPER PUMPED. 

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i dont see why this would be the case? AMD can just drop CPUs with more cores aswell. games are already benefitting quite a bit from having 8 threads and games are being programed to use more and more threads all the time. the I7 7700K winns today because it has the clockspeeds, anyone on 3rd gen core I or older would see improvements moveing to Ryzen, maybe even those on 4th gen. but as i said Ryzen isnt for the mid range value gamers right now, its for the budget guys, the mid teir streamers and content creators and for the high end content creators and benchmark junkies. 

AMD could also just counter that will more core spam, not really anything stopping the core spam exept for costs which are about equal for both companies. AMD could easely drop a 12 core with second get Zen for the consumer market unless there is some fundemetal problem with that in the architecture, they have a 32 core with SMT called Naples on the way to be launched later this year based on the same architecture as Ryzen so i cant see why we cant have a 12 core later. For now Intel has the win for the gamers but if AMD can get second gen Zen to run at 5GHz on air then the competition is going to get even closer. if Intels slides are anything to go by Coffelake will just be another Kabylake with a clock speed bump and no real increase in IPC

Sure thing! I agree with what you said, but then again, it comes down to the consumer, and do we really need 12 cores? I mean, gamers wont (yet for a looooong time), maybe HEAVY multitaskers, but for the standard consumer, 8 cores will be more than enough, and then the race becomes irrelevant when releasing 12 cores, because there'll be no consumer base for it (other than the extreme enthusiasts). But a counter-argument to this would be pricing. Intel have not been touched by AMD for a VERY long time. These prices are a statement of battle. A battle to be the "best" in the business. It's great for us as consumers, and if it becomes a reality that these prices for 8c/16t will be the norm (or it'll go even cheaper), then sure, why not go for a 12c/xt CPU if it's about the same price as a 6800k is now. But then every post on here will become kids linking PCPP's with 12c/xt CPUs for their Minecraft monster machine ;)

The dream:

Spoiler

Project Malachite (in progress):

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

9 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

65W TDP goes to the 1700, 95W TDP goes to the other two. And no, that doesn't really affect overclocking, it just means it'll produce less heat (probably).

I might have misheard, but I thought it meant a lower loft for overclocking. My bad, and apologies if I'm misinformed.

@Bananasplit_00 might be the reason here, sorry :/

The dream:

Spoiler

Project Malachite (in progress):

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

46 minutes ago, techstorm970 said:

Wait a second...

Now I have to choose between the Ryzen logo and CHEEZITplier...

Dammit...

With the power of Photoshop (or Gimp) why choose?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

For people wondering about EU pricing, things are looking very good. A Dutch retailer has put up pre-order pages and they are as follows

1800X - €559 - https://azerty.nl/product/amd/2590740/ryzen-7-1800x-processor-3-6-ghz

1700X - €439 - https://azerty.nl/product/amd/2590742/ryzen-7-1700x-processor-3-4-ghz

1700 - €359 - https://azerty.nl/product/amd/2590743/ryzen-7-1700-processor-3-0-ghz

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

18 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

AMD might have a good binning process, and the 1700 might not an optimal overclocker (perhaps it takes more power to reach the same speeds as the 1700X and 1800X), earning it a spot as the 1700. We can extrapolate that there is the possibility for that to occur based on the TDP groupings of these chips, we just can't say with any certainty that said possibility is true.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

17 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Great idea!

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

Man this is funny. The motherboard I've picked out to preorder is only available for preorder on the online stores that don't have the CPUs to preorder. Having to buy things separately and end up paying more taxes. Government plot I tells ya.

Man , im thinking of ditching my 4690k for the 1700X ... worth it ? 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

39 minutes ago, Prysin said:

best board compared to what? a pile of shit?

go look at Intel boards, go look at what TOP END Z170 or Z270 offers... then go look at Ryzen, we are getting second tier Haswell/Skylake boards... SECOND TIER, as top tier RYZEN boards

Oh yeah?

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero with AM4 socket

https://www.techpowerup.com/230297/asus-rog-crosshair-vi-hero-flagship-motherboard-detailed

http://hothardware.com/news/asus-rog-crosshair-vi-hero-am4-x370-ryzen-motherboard-gets-unboxed-on-video

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666

• i7-7700K
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

18 minutes ago, Centurius said:

For people wondering about EU pricing, things are looking very good. A Dutch retailer has put up pre-order pages and they are as follows

1800X - €559 - https://azerty.nl/product/amd/2590740/ryzen-7-1800x-processor-3-6-ghz

1700X - €439 - https://azerty.nl/product/amd/2590742/ryzen-7-1700x-processor-3-4-ghz

1700 - €359 - https://azerty.nl/product/amd/2590743/ryzen-7-1700-processor-3-0-ghz

Since I'm Dutch and know what it says:

Only the 1700 seems to come with a stock cooler for now (the Wraith Spire). Both the 1700X and 1800X don't have a cooler bundled with them at this time, or Azerty's info is wrong and the X series do have a Wraith cooler.

Ye ole' train

50 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Well, the R5 6C/12Ts should be around $250.

I know it will, it's a pity AMD isn't mentioning them anywhere for a same-date launch as the R7 series.

Ye ole' train

10 minutes ago, ColonelThunder said:

Man , im thinking of ditching my 4690k for the 1700X ... worth it ? 

I have a 4690k as well but i wouldn't really do that.
IPC seems to be similar to Haswell/Broadwell, unless you need the extra cores/threads.
I'm waiting until Zen+ to upgrade (which won't be for a while)

"If you ain't first, you're last"

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

sure it will be close, in some cases, others not. But you have to look at teh whole ecosystem. Look at the boards, the partners...

With this big a launch, you expect the board partners to bring their BEST boards out at launch. You know, the "Maximus EXTREME" brand. The top end boards. The expensive boards...

And what is on display? two tiers/generations behind intels current offerings... Sure there will be more feature rich boards eventually. But nobody is going to wait 6-18 months for a better board. They want RYZEN now, when there is hype.

RYZEN is doomed to flop. Even if the chip is pretty good, the boards, the overclocking, the actual TDP (please, as if 8 cores 16 threads is 95w in Prime95 or during Folding at home).  AMD also raised the bar for cooling. Given their decent stock cooling, you cannot just grab a 50$ cooler, because it will only improve things marginally, instead you need to go directly to 75-100+$ coolers... Which means any serious overclocking is going to cost you more then what you currently need on Intels offerings.

Just face it. RYZEN, IS, NOT, THAT, GREAT.

in some cases is all you need. The cpu market is a market of use case after all. Even with intel's line up, the choice is all about use case. So i dont understand your argument here.

As for motherboards Ive seen plenty of boards with modern feature sets. Some with USB 3.0, 3.1, and type c all on one board. 

Any system builder worth his salt (most of us here on ltt forums) wait for the parts we want. For other we recommend based on what they need. if Ryzen is the price/perf king then it will be recommended right out of the gate.

95w tdp is base clock and everyone including you knows that. No one buying the X series cpus are going to care because we expect it to be higher than that. Same story with intel. Any AMD didnt raise any bar, since as Im sure you know anyone who overclocks expects to pay more for cooling. Your arguments again do not make sense as what you described is what is currently true in the market place and for intel.

A decent cooler to do any meaningful OC on intel cost 75+. And if you mention those low end cheap plastic evo coolers then please don't even bother responding to this point.

You have no evidence to claim ryzen isnt that great. Any point you mentioned is either already true of intel or is simply a fallacy. But, again, I am quite sure you are aware of all of this, so its interesting to me how you make these arguments to begin with.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

34 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Ta-daaaa!

mghm.PNG

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666

• i7-7700K
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD

1 minute ago, techstorm970 said:

Ta-daaaa!

mghm.PNG

It'd be better if you replaced Mark's irises with the Zen logo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

54 minutes ago, Prysin said:

best board compared to what? a pile of shit?

go look at Intel boards, go look at what TOP END Z170 or Z270 offers... then go look at Ryzen, we are getting second tier Haswell/Skylake boards... SECOND TIER, as top tier RYZEN boards.... And you call second tier Haswell/Skylake boards for "top end". Go away, just go the fuck away man. you ain't got a clue about performance parts.

But the thing is, it's not like $200 X99 boards are much better than Z270 or Z170 $200 boards. The difference is very little. So it doesn't really matter. Do you mind showing how the X370 boards are comparable to second tier skylake and haswell boards?

And the other thing is, the prices of Ryzen! Sure, in terms of everything, Ryzen might not directly compete against the 6900k due to less PCIe lanes and whatnot, but the thing is it's 2 times cheaper! The IPC might be slightly behind at Haswell levels, but the clock speeds are higher which puts Ryzen in competition with Broadwell-E. And the PCIe lanes don't matter that much, since at most you only need 2 way SLI which only needs 16 lanes (x8/x8 has been shown to be more than enough even for cards like the Titan XP), so you still have 8 lanes for whatever you want-m.2 drives, whatever. 

I don't think Ryzen is quite as good as Broadwell-E in terms of features (it doesn't have quad channel or as many pcie lanes and the chipset probably has less stuff too), but it's still AMAZING, since in terms of performance it's on par with Broadwell and maybe even Skylake (though I'm not sure about Kaby Lake). 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

11 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It'd be better if you replaced Mark's irises with the Zen logo.

gmj.PNG

Better? :P

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666

• i7-7700K
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD

1 minute ago, techstorm970 said:

gmj.PNG

Better? :P

Now I want Ryzen sunglasses.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

you guys need to actually look into what a HIGH END BOARD is. A Hero board is not high end. It is the "budget OCer" in ASUS's lineup.

You guys are so fucking stuck up your rear ends with hype, you cannot see the forest for trees.