HIGH ping on discord but ingame not

ruka

Discord ping say i have 331ms and stable on around 300ms 

but on the CMD i have average below 100ms

also when i gaming (CSGO , dota2) there is no problem with my connection 

but this discord ping annoy me , like when you play music with bot , it sounds terrible because this ping

Spoiler

Screenshot_28.png

i've already check my firewall and using google DNS for IPv4 and IPv6 still not working

anyone can help?

Is it just on one server or every server?

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

It could be that Discord's servers are (with reference to the network) geographically far away. Or they could be under high load (many people, DoS/DDoS attacks).

It'll probably sort its self out after a while, I'm sure that if many people are noticing it discord will have too and are most likely working on a solution.

Bespoke Software Engineer

Laptop: MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) - 8GB RAM - Intel Core i5 1.6GHz - Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

DesktopGAMEMAX Onyx - AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core (Overclocked to 4.1GHz) - GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Overclocked - MSI NVIDIA GTX 750Ti Gaming 1085MHz - HyperX Savage 8 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 - MSI 970 Gaming - Corsair CP-9020015-UK - Kingston SSDNow UV400 120 GB Solid State Drive

Ping is largely based on server location in relation to you and how many hops it takes for packets to get there. You're pinging Google's DNS service, which will have multiple servers in different locations, so it will be pinging the one closest to you. Game servers you play on may also be closer to you and not take many hops. The Discord server, however, is likely far away and takes more hops. 

Ping isn't a universal number, it is something that changes on a case to case basis. Ping to a server 1 mile away will be much better than ping to a server 1000 miles away. So, you have a ping stat to a server, rather than one, general ping stat. 

1 minute ago, Strayuru said:

It could be that Discord's servers are (with reference to the network) geographically far away. Or they could be under high load (many people, DoS/DDoS attacks).

It'll probably sort its self out after a while, I'm sure that if many people are noticing it discord will have too and are most likely working on a solution.

nono i had this problem since 2 weeks ago or more.... my ping usually is stable at 83ms or below 100ms don't know why

Weird. The server is hosted in Singapur which is not that far.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

2 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

Weird. The server is hosted in Singapur which is not that far.

yeah back in january my ping on discord is under 100ms

but now its stable on 300ms

but the server is the same

1 minute ago, ruka said:

yeah back in january my ping on discord is under 100ms

but now its stable on 300ms

but the server is the same

5 minutes ago, ruka said:

nono i had this problem since 2 weeks ago or more.... my ping usually is stable at 83ms or below 100ms don't know why

It's more than possible that one or more of the servers on there network have failed within the past two weeks. With fail-over like they have they're still able to cope with the load split between fewer servers than before, the only side effect being that there's higher ping for everyone on their network.

Another possibility if that your PC is prioritising other applications networking. If you have Killer™ Ethernet for example, you can prioritise Discord over everything else. You might see minor improvements in doing that.

Laptop: MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) - 8GB RAM - Intel Core i5 1.6GHz - Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

DesktopGAMEMAX Onyx - AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core (Overclocked to 4.1GHz) - GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Overclocked - MSI NVIDIA GTX 750Ti Gaming 1085MHz - HyperX Savage 8 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 - MSI 970 Gaming - Corsair CP-9020015-UK - Kingston SSDNow UV400 120 GB Solid State Drive

1 minute ago, Strayuru said:

It's more than possible that one or more of the servers on there network have failed within the past two weeks. With fail-over like they have they're still able to cope with the load split between fewer servers than before, the only side effect being that there's higher ping for everyone on their network.

Another possibility if that your PC is prioritising other applications networking. If you have Killer™ Ethernet for example, you can prioritise Discord over everything else. You might see minor improvements in doing that.

so this is discord servers problem.... not my internet connection?

8 minutes ago, ruka said:

so this is discord servers problem.... not my internet connection?

It's a possibility. According to their status site all systems are operational https://status.discordapp.com/.

• 6 months later...

I have the same issue on the discord server of my final fantasy XIV free company. It's just this particular server.
My ping is at 280 to 350 and people complain that I talk over other people sometimes, even when I'm not.
Also people sound slightly robotic.
It's been like this for quite some time.
The server is running on the US West server and others don't have this problem. I asked the owner if he could switch server but he won't do it for only one person.

Anything else I could do?