Oh was that data sensitive now its ours, the perils of using any open port

kiska3

Do you use Airport USB sockets or power points?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Airport USB sockets or power points?

• Yes
    • No
    • Turnip

Source: http://thenewdaily.com.au/life/tech/2017/02/20/juice-jacking-public-risk/

Not a Ryzen thread!

Dubbed ‘Juice Jacking’, the vulnerability was demonstrated last week at the annual RSA Security Conference, in San Francisco, when security outfit Authentic8 set up a number of USB power outlets for attendees to charge their mobile devices.

“The security risks here are obvious … your phone could be silently packed with anything from adware to ransomware. And, if you’re a decision-maker in a big company, you could easily become the target of professional hackers,” said Alexey Komarov, researcher at Kaspersky Lab.

When a smartphone is connected to a USB port, a ‘handshake’ occurs, where the device relays hardware and software information to the USB port so that connected hardware – usually a computer – knows what kind of device is now attached and how to communicate with it.

Using this information, a compromised USB port can then select the appropriate method to defeat security and install malicious software on the device, or simply siphon data from the handset.

So how many people here use Airport power to charge their mobiles or appliances?

I can see a reduction of people using power points or USB hubs at airports now, or people carrying more power banks with them

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

2 minutes ago, kiska3 said:

I can see a reduction of people using power points or USB hubs at airports now, or people carrying more power banks with them

Maybe a 0.01% reduction. Most people won't ever even see this and those that do will forget about it in under five minutes. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

This applies to open usb ports in any location. Starbucks, bus terminals, those information/charge booth across nyc upper east side. 

I shall change the title to reflect this information

This is why I carry 2 power banks

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Maybe a 0.01% reduction. Most people won't ever even see this and those that do will forget about it in under five minutes. 

Yeah, seriously almost slipped it since it had nothing to do with Ryzen...

Haha, jk. No, I don't use public WiFi, and I don't stick important things into dirty unprotected and publicly available slots...

People seem to think I'm crazy and that I read too much Tom Clancy, but the struggle is real. Working as a repair tech, I've definitely learned how ignorant people are to electronics.

This in no way surprises me in any way. But, I don't think the masses of sheople will change habits. Gotta update FB, Tweet about my travels and air port food, and watch endless videos of scantily clad girls doing dumb stuff. I can't do it without charging. Oh, and free WiFi? I love traveling....../s

Does the charge only, no data setting on some androids change this at all?

2 minutes ago, Hogosha said:

Does the charge pnly, no data setting on some androids change this at all?

It still does the initial negotiation with the charger, the only way to stop this negotiation is to short out the data pins OR them not being present

1 minute ago, kiska3 said:

I shall change the title to reflect this information

This is why I carry 2 power banks

Im sure that in nyc its being done. Recently a plan got blocked that would have allowes new yorks free wifi to send notification ads to your phone. And went further to say even if your just using 4g. 

Im sure that their "free" wifi collects data on people who use it. As well as at those info booths. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

6 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

This applies to open usb ports in any location. Starbucks, bus terminals, those information/charge booth across nyc upper east side. 

Not just the upper east side, they're in midtown too, although I don't recall seeing them below that....which is interesting. 

3 minutes ago, Hogosha said:

Does the charge pnly, no data setting on some androids change this at all?

I'm sure not. The only way to guarantee charge only is to have a cable without data pins. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

I was thinking of the same, but on smaller scale

the problem with it is that this method doesn't work with type C since it actually requires handshake between the charger, cable and phone

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'm sure not. The only way to guarantee charge only is to have a cable without data pins. 

Which is not possible with phones that have USB type C connections which I have just learnt from @zMeul

5 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Yeah, seriously almost slipped it since it had nothing to do with Ryzen...

Haha, jk. No, I don't use public WiFi, and I don't stick important things into dirty unprotected and publicly available slots...

People seem to think I'm crazy and that I read too much Tom Clancy, but the struggle is real. Working as a repair tech, I've definitely learned how ignorant people are to electronics.

This in no way surprises me in any way. But, I don't think the masses of sheople will change habits. Gotta update FB, Tweet about my travels and air port food, and watch endless videos of scantily clad girls doing dumb stuff. I can't do it without charging. Oh, and free WiFi? I love traveling....../s

I use a VPN when Im on public wifi.

Does anyone make a USB "condom" that also regulats the power to protect it from over current/voltage?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I was thinking of the same, but on smaller scale

the problem with it is that this method doesn't work with type C since it actually requires handshake between the charger, cable and phone

I thought it only needed a 56k ohm resistor to ground, not a handshake, I have not looked into it but I don't they the data connection needs to attach even for USB type c

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I use a VPN when Im on public wifi.

Does anyone make a USB "condom" that also regulats the power to protect it from over current/voltage?

I don't think so, since it requires the data pins to be present to both the device and the charger for device max current negotiation

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I thought it only needed a 56k ohm resistor to ground, not a handshake, I have not looked into it but I don't they the data connection needs to attach even for USB type c

I recall being much more complicated since the Anker cable "remembering" voltage

---

I also recall something from USB-IF and Intel pushing for chargers to have handshake with the device it powers/charges

9 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Not just the upper east side, they're in midtown too, although I don't recall seeing them below that....which is interesting. 

Same reason that the LES doesnt have cell coverage in the subways lol. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I recall being much more complicated since the Anker cable "remembering" voltage

---

I also recall something from USB-IF and Intel pushing for chargers to have handshake with the device it powers/charges

I could see it that without a handshake it uses the lower current old standard and requires a handshake for quick charge modes. I may skim though the USB 3.1 doc in a sec

this is no different than plugging your phone into a computer you don't own. I know windows phone and android have a feature that requires you to accept a connection before anything can be transferred to the phone.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

19 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

this is no different than plugging your phone into a computer you don't own. I know windows phone and android have a feature that requires you to accept a connection before anything can be transferred to the phone.

iOS too. But it wouldn't be hard to force acceptance of the connection. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I predicted this!!!!!!!  Bow before my superior secureness! Paranoia does pay off!

I'm just kidding. I have always carried a power bank, so I don't have to worry about it.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

I charge my powerbank and use it to charge my phone, my powerbank abuses the USB standard and pulls like 2.5A, while my phone pulls 1A to charge, so by charging my powerbank, I can get twice the energy stored

It's very suspicious that it doesn't specify what devices it affects.  If this only affects rooted Android devices, then who gives a shit.  I bet regardless it doesn't work at all on iOS.  You have to actively allow data transfer on an iPhone when you plug in to USB with a "do you trust this computer" prompt.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)