Do i need a HDMI 2.0 cable to play with a PS4 Slim at a 4K TV?

Slazyel

Hi guys,

Do i need a HDMI 2.0 cable to play with a PS4 Slim at a 4K TV?

I am currently playing with the hdmi cable that comes with the ps4 slim (don't know if it's 1.4, can anyone confirm?) in a 4K TV. I know that the TV Upscales, but that's the point. Is the upscaling considered as 4K to the hdmi communication?

For example: I play NIOH on action mode (i think it's 720p60hz), and i would like to know if because of that it's showing the 60 frames or just 30 because of the hdmi cable that is not 2.0.

the ps4 slim does not and cannot output anything in 4k. You'll need a ps4 pro for that.

So to answer your question, no you don't need a hdmi 2.0 cable. you're only sending max 1080p to ur tv.

I have no signature

What goes through the HDMI is what the PS4 outputs (in this case 720p). The upscaling happens after the TV receives it.

There are two speeds in HDMI cables, it doesn't go like 1.4,  2.0 and 2.1 needed their own versions. Hi-speed and standard speed.

Standard speed is so old that I doubt they'd pack it to anything anymore. It's more on what your PS and TV support. So, buying a new cable will likely not help your situation.

As far as I know, they TVs doesnt upscale, since (I think) they dont have the horse power to do It. I know upscaling isnt a heavy task but they run their own OS and their own apps (all of this running at 4k) and they dont have much spare resources... So I would say that unless you dont hace a PS4 pro which upscales itself, you wont have any 4k video in your TV.

Now regarding the hdmi cable, if you were to own a ps4 pro, you would need a hdmi 1.4 (I think, I might remember It wrong, just make a little seach into wikipedia and you'll find the specs for each hdmi standard) at least to stream 4k content to your TV.

1 hour ago, Maxinfamily said:

-snip-

TVs absolutely do upscale. The TV is taking 720p or whatever signal and resizing it to be fed to the 4K panel. 

The quality of upscaled image can and will vary though.

47 minutes ago, Jalmio said:

TVs absolutely do upscale. The TV is taking 720p or whatever signal and resizing it to be fed to the 4K panel. 

The quality of upscaled image can and will vary though.

Well, yeah, they show the 720p on the full size of the 4k pannel, but they dont do any kind of rendering. Sorry, It was a missunderstanding with the terminology.

Edit: this is as far as I know.

Guys, one more question:
My 4k tv supports HDR, and it's said that the PS4 Slim supports it too. Will HDR "On" work fine with my ps4 slim Upscaled or just with a native 4k ps4 pro?

1 hour ago, Slazyel said:

Guys, one more question:
My 4k tv supports HDR, and it's said that the PS4 Slim supports it too. Will HDR "On" work fine with my ps4 slim Upscaled or just with a native 4k ps4 pro?

If I remember correctly, HDR is only on the pro. The slim is just original PS4 slimmed down, right? If however both the console and TV support HDR, it's not a concern.

@Maxinfamily

Well, technically it is also rendering, I guess:D (not as drawing the 3D image, of course but as post processing)

6 hours ago, Jalmio said:

What goes through the HDMI is what the PS4 outputs (in this case 720p). The upscaling happens after the TV receives it.

The PS4 outputs 1080p.

2 hours ago, Slazyel said:

Guys, one more question:

58 minutes ago, Jalmio said:

If I remember correctly, HDR is only on the pro. The slim is just original PS4 slimmed down, right? If however both the console and TV support HDR, it's not a concern.

HDR is available on all PS4 systems. https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/system---hardware/sound---screen/ps4--how-to-get-hdr/ You just need a TV that can support HDR10.

As an aside, HDR is not something that's affects performance. All shading is done in FP32 per channel. HDR output just changes how the renderer downsamples the color information.

37 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The PS4 outputs 1080p.

OP said 720p so I went with that.  It varies with different games and settings anyway, am I right?

37 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

As an aside, HDR is not something that's affects performance. All shading is done in FP32 per channel. HDR output just changes how the renderer downsamples the color information.

That's interesting indeed. Gotta read more on it.

Nioh was an example. Action Mode is 720p@60 and Movie mode is 1080p@30.

The console outputs whatever resolution you set it to regardless of what the game renders it at. Basically, the console is doing the scaling, not the display.

20 minutes ago, Jalmio said:

That's interesting indeed. Gotta read more on it.

HDR in games is a technology that's over 13 years old now. Though the way games have done it up to this point is hokey at best.