How to install Ubuntu on my SSD?

I've got an empty ssd I want to try Linux on. I downloaded the file from the Ubuntu website and transfered it to the ssd. What else do I need to do? When I put the ssd in the computer I intend to use it on will it be able to recognize and install from those files? Really new to this aspect of pc.

you gotta burn the .iso file to a DVD or USB drive and boot from it to install it on the SSD.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

burn the iso to a cd/dvd or put it on usb drive

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/burn-a-dvd-on-windows

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

boot the media and follow the instructions. back up your data first and also prepare a windows repair disk in case you mess up somewhere

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

you gotta burn the .iso file to a DVD or USB drive and boot from it to install it on the SSD.

I got an SD card I can use. Will see if I can figure out how to do that in the morning.

Look up how to dual boot Ubuntu with an existing Windows installation. During the install select the SSD to be the only part of the PC affected. Doing those things should keep you clear of any problems and get what you want :)

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

21 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

I got an SD card I can use. Will see if I can figure out how to do that in the morning.

Just don't touch it after you burned the .iso. B|

Kolt L

Web developer

7 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

burn the iso to a cd/dvd or put it on usb drive

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/burn-a-dvd-on-windows

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

boot the media and follow the instructions. back up your data first and also prepare a windows repair disk in case you mess up somewhere

I used that Rufus thing and I got to the last step and I get an "error: access to the device is denied"

Should I change the "FreeDOS" dropdown to "ISO Image"? Because in that last step on that page it shows it set to that, but there's no specific step telling to change that.

EDIT: That did not fix anything, and now I've tried it on a USB drive as well and I get the same error.

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Can you still open up the flash drive from Windows Explorer?

Yeah.

9 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

I used that Rufus thing and I got to the last step and I get an "error: access to the device is denied"

Should I change the "FreeDOS" dropdown to "ISO Image"? Because in that last step on that page it shows it set to that, but there's no specific step telling to change that.

EDIT: That did not fix anything, and now I've tried it on a USB drive as well and I get the same error.

Do you mean you're running it from the flash drive?  Nothing should be accessing the flash drive atm.  That means no open files on it and no programs running from it.  Both the ISO and Rufus need to be on your computer, not the flash drive.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Do you mean you're running it from the flash drive?  Nothing should be accessing the flash drive atm.  That means no open files on it and no programs running from it.  Both the ISO and Rufus need to be on your computer, not the flash drive.

Oooooh. Okay thanks. Will get on with that.

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Well now it starts, but it gets part way through and says "Error: Image Extraction Failure".

11 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Well now it starts, but it gets part way through and says "Error: Image Extraction Failure".

Click the # icon in the bottom right corner to get the hashes of the ISO, then (assuming you downloaded the latest one) see if the MD5 one matches any of these hashes. If it doesn't, you have a corrupt image and need to redownload.

You can use Ctrl+F on the web page to search for the value instead of comparing each letter/number individually.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Click the # icon in the bottom right corner to get the hashes of the ISO, then (assuming you downloaded the latest one) see if the MD5 one matches any of these hashes. If it doesn't, you have a corrupt image and need to redownload.

It does not match any of those. Alrighty then. I'll get back here in a bit to tell of how it goes this next time around.

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

You can use Ctrl+F on the web page to search for the value instead of comparing each letter/number individually.

Okay It worked this time. Now all I gotta do is try it out on my other system, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow for that because I'm too busy today unfortunately.