Is it ok to flash the shield tablet to android 7.0 from android 6.0?

Xtreme Gamer

I know that the android 7.0 update launched for shield tablets and wanted to know that if I downloaded the recovery files (not just recovery img) from nvidia if I could flash that instead of doing the ota update method. Or if I am in an area with no data connection at all, if I could flash 7.0 files then. One of my reasons is because until we know that root and maybe xposed is out for android 7.0, that I could use native 7.0 features then when I need my device rooted, flash back to 6.0 and restore my rooted rom. Is that an ok thing to do?

Side question: Is ok to lock the bootloader through fastboot oem lock either if i am on a rooted stock rom or a rooted custom rom or if I need to unroot but want to stay on the stock or custom rom that I am using at that time. Or would relocking at all the bootloader mess it up?

Thanks for the help!!

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu