Slightly iffy idle temps

HelplmChoking
Go to solution Solved by HelplmChoking,

Update, there was a 10 degree difference between core 1 and 8, so I took the cooler off, cleaned off the paste... and I don't have any. So just got back with some Arctic Silver, tightened the cooler more than before and now I'm idling in the low 40's. Cheers for the help everyone!

So my E5-2670 (8c/16t, OC'ed to about 3.0GHz @ 1.12V) idles at about 55-60 degrees with ample airflow and a 212 Evo. Is this a normal temp for sandy bridge? Should I be looking to lower it? Should I have the voltage set to auto rather than a constant?

I used to get these temps on my old FX, but that was expected.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

212 Evo is a budget cooler. For those CPU's it might be on the little side of performance. Sandy bridge is not the coolest, but think that it should be able to go lower. If you want a excellent air cooler that ahs Noctua performance but for a nicer price, see if the Scythe Fuma is available.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

it gets a bit hot, i suggest you buy a aio or get a beefy cooler like dark rock pro 3

$$$ though :P Ah well, I suppose it's worth it. What sort of temp drop should I expect? I'd love something around the 10 degree mark. I might switch the voltage to variable as well.

1 minute ago, Rangaman42 said:

$$$ though :P Ah well, I suppose it's worth it. What sort of temp drop should I expect? I'd love something around the 10 degree mark. I might switch the voltage to variable as well.

go into used market 

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

go into used market 

Not really a thing in NZ, it's all just stock coolers.

12 minutes ago, Gonio said:

212 Evo is a budget cooler. For those CPU's it might be on the little side of performance. Sandy bridge is not the coolest, but think that it should be able to go lower. If you want a excellent air cooler that ahs Noctua performance but for a nicer price, see if the Scythe Fuma is available.

Oh yeah, that looks really good. I don't think it's available here though, which is a shame.

6 minutes ago, Gonio said:

The mentioned Dark Rock Pro is also a very good one.

Yeah, I guess I'll just drop the cash on it. I was considering an AIO, but they cost even more and don't seem to offer much more performance. Plus they seem louder. 

Sadly, it's also 5mm taller than my evo, which is already touching the foam lining of my case...

If anything that chip should be idling in the mid to high 40s. Could you have messed the mount up or perhaps there's not enough thermal paste/it dried up?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

42 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

If anything that chip should be idling in the mid to high 40s. Could you have messed the mount up or perhaps there's not enough thermal paste/it dried up?

I'll have a look, it may even be dust as it was running unfiltered basically in the open. After I finish work I'll pull the cooler off, remount and redo the paste. 

Update, there was a 10 degree difference between core 1 and 8, so I took the cooler off, cleaned off the paste... and I don't have any. So just got back with some Arctic Silver, tightened the cooler more than before and now I'm idling in the low 40's. Cheers for the help everyone!