Noise coming from laptop

Guest lilbman

Hey guys,  

there is a noise coming from my Alienware 15 R3.  You can hear it in the audio recording; it sound's similar to a hard drive but not consistent and it sounds electrical.  It is coming from around my RAM/SSD area.  Voice_001.m4aVoice_001.m4a

Hello,

First off, thank-you for submitting an actual sound link!!! It sounds like a fan is grinding imo. Have you dropped your PC recently?

(Also, just for a fail of the day, it's a 7 second song clip that loaded on iTunes, super quiet, so I put my headphones on 100... Mistake was made when a Black Veil Bride song auto-played after the clip was up. RIP headphone user, me.)

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

2 minutes ago, LukeS said:

Hello,

First off, thank-you for submitting an actual sound link!!! It sounds like a fan is grinding imo. Have you dropped your PC recently?

(Also, just for a fail of the day, it's a 7 second song clip that loaded on iTunes, super quiet, so I put my headphones on 100... Mistake was made when a Black Veil Bride song auto-played after the clip was up. RIP headphone user, me.)

LOL sorry to hear about your earsxD

No, I have not dropped it recently.  I have been putting it in my backpack, but I always make sure that I set it down softly.

Since I have posted the question, it has stopped(for now), but I plan on taking a look later on tonight.  How should I go about checking that the fans are working properly?

1 hour ago, LukeS said:

Hello,

Sound is coming from a RAM slot.  Could it be the mobo?

2 hours ago, lilbman said:

Sound is coming from a RAM slot.  Could it be the mobo?

ram can make noise? if you think its the ram/ssd replace them both to find out.

are you talking about the noise at the 2 second mark and at end of the clip?

18 hours ago, mad dudy said:

ram can make noise? if you think its the ram/ssd replace them both to find out.

are you talking about the noise at the 2 second mark and at end of the clip?

Yeah, the RAM is making noise, which means that it is the motherboard.  

Yes, it was the noise at the two second mark.  That sound that sounds like a fan is hitting something plus the noise at the two second mark.

Hmmm interesting. If you think it is the SSD or RAM, remove them and put them back. They're normally on the outside of the laptop for easy access. Try doing that before doing anything else. Could your laptop frame be loose? I know that I've had laptops in the past where if I pressed against the case, the fan noise would be reduced because over time the casing became loose. A normal phenomena.

Also, you noted that you put your laptop in your backpack. I don't know how your transport yourself, but I should mention that the jostling motion is enough to batter the laptop to be 'dropped' or have diagnostics of a 'dropped' laptop.

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

36 minutes ago, LukeS said:

Hmmm interesting. If you think it is the SSD or RAM, remove them and put them back. They're normally on the outside of the laptop for easy access. Try doing that before doing anything else. Could your laptop frame be loose? I know that I've had laptops in the past where if I pressed against the case, the fan noise would be reduced because over time the casing became loose. A normal phenomena.

Also, you noted that you put your laptop in your backpack. I don't know how your transport yourself, but I should mention that the jostling motion is enough to batter the laptop to be 'dropped' or have diagnostics of a 'dropped' laptop.

I do not think it is the SSD.  It could be that the RAM is loose.  It isn't the frame-it is coming from the motherboard because the noise is electronic.  It's like that buzzing you hear from speakers.

The compartment that I put the laptop is padded and right by my back.  It is extremely likely that the motion of me walking affected it, but it is possible.  The couple of days prior to when I discovered this, it had not been in my backpack.  For all I know, this noise has been there all along.