Apple plans to adopt UMC/UC-E6 as well as USB C and Lightning

matsvg

So... Apple is planning to use a "new" port on their "i" devices. 

The connector is (as I understand) mainly used by Nikon today and is called a "UC-E6" or a "Ultra Mini Connector", but Apple is apparently calling it a "Ultra Accessory Connector" or "UAC".

" This makes the issue a little more positive, even though we had wished Apple went all in on the USB C, and not the fact that we now end up with three plugs also in the Apple universe."

" The new plug is to be used for connecting accessories for iPhone and iPad, and will in some cases to replace USB C and Apple's Lightning-standard "

What do you guys thinking about this? 

Sources:

http://itavisen.no/2017/02/06/na-skal-apple-ta-i-bruk-usb-i-tillegg-til-usb-c-og-lightning/ (Norwegian)

https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/06/apple-ultra-accessory-connector-uac-mfi-made-for-iphone-headphones/

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/02/no-apple-isnt-developing-an-all-new-port-for-accessory-makers/

4 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Why not just use USB-C ?

seriously... why they have to be different? it's a flipping connector... just use the stupid thing that is freely available. 

I mean if you walk into an apple store and BUY an iPhone and a Macbook Pro THEY DON'T EVEN CONNECT TO EACH OTHER!!! out of the box

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

A is for Apple

A is for Absurd

A is for ASININE. 

/s

So apple does it again, being so innovative and all. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Those little connectors on cameras suck. On a lot of consumer cameras those things are used to plug into a computer. This is a bad move. They should've stuck with some standard that everyone, but Nikon (they like to experiment) uses.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Well it wouldn't be Apple if they weren't trying to take the Universal out of Universal Serial Bus...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Title is a bit confusing as the info given implies they plan to stop using USB C and lightning where as the title does not

Regardless in this day and age going proprietary is a bad idea, even for apple

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

why the fuck are they choosing these odd outdated connectors. its the child of usb b micro and usb b mini. its the second one from the left. like literally what is the pro's of using this connector over something else?

1280px-Usb_connectors.JPG

Lightning was awesome, we finally had a tiny reversible connector. Then along came USB-C, which is ever so slightly bigger but much more capable.

Sadly, UC-E6 uses basically a Micro-USB connector, which we all know are purely awful to try and plug in, being the wrong way around on all but the 3rd try (totally defying physics in their evilness).

So, Apple. What we really, really want is for you to either improve Lightning, leave it alone or use USB-C.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

1 minute ago, tlink said:

why the fuck are they choosing these odd outdated connectors. its the child of usb b micro and usb b mini. its the second one from the left. like literally what is the pro's of using this connector over something else?

1280px-Usb_connectors.JPG

Hmmmm it means people need to replace Lightning headphones? Which I don't get, because the lightning connector was awesome, way ahead of it's time.

1 minute ago, Rangaman42 said:

Hmmmm it means people need to replace Lightning headphones? Which I don't get, because the lightning connector was awesome, way ahead of it's time.

well i wouldn't really say way ahead of its time but they where early to the mainstream party. apple has such a huge fanbase of people that are really dependent on their products (whether fanboyism or application specific). there where always other solutions to the market but not mass adoption. reversible usb type a has been a thing for ages, they all died off too just like lightning will when apple drops support. nothing is holding up that market but them. usb type c was a way better way to implement it, but even that has fuckups like confusing optional features and such.

1 minute ago, tlink said:

well i wouldn't really say way ahead of its time but they where early to the mainstream party. apple has such a huge fanbase of people that are really dependent on their products (whether fanboyism or application specific). there where always other solutions to the market but not mass adoption. reversible usb type a has been a thing for ages, they all died off too just like lightning will when apple drops support. nothing is holding up that market but them. usb type c was a way better way to implement it, but even that has fuckups like confusing optional features and such.

Yeah sorry that's what I meant, they were making small, reversible connectors popular very early on. There were a few reversible Micro-USB connectors around but they were quite niche and never included with a device (to my knowledge). USB-C is the real replacement for Lightning, being very slightly larger but carrying much more along the cable (sometimes, it's hard to tell these days) but we will have to see where this goes.

What reason could apple possibly have to switch from lightning to to UC-E6, a non apple proprietary standard that is bigger, less durable, and non reversible. I really doubt this will come to fruition as it makes literally zero sense -- pushing FireWire made sense, switching to lightning made sense, removing the headphone jack can arguably make sense, using only type c on the Macs makes sense..... This makes no sense.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/02/no-apple-isnt-developing-an-all-new-port-for-accessory-makers/

Here it says that Apple is adding this port to the MFi program on request from licensees, and not replacing any. 

When contacted for comment, Apple told us that it was adding the port to the MFi program at the request of licensees, not because it's trying to push licensees to support a new kind of connector.

2 minutes ago, JoseGuya said:

Here it says that Apple is adding this port to the MFi program on request from licensees, and not replacing any. 

So you can connect something like a Camera directly to an iPad/iPhone. That makes a lot more sense. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Kill the headphone jack, bring on an ultra obscure completely worthless connector.  It's not even worth a golf clap from Shia LeBeouf

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

14 hours ago, TrigrH said:

Why not just use USB-C ?

Because that would limit Apple's ability to make their devices thinner, and we know Johnny doesn't like things not getting thinner.

Ye ole' train

Why on earth do people call things "Ultra" like theres not going to be something better in a couple years?

Company is so far up their own ass they just dont care that they are fucking over their own customers and the customers are starting to get sick of it.

Though there will always be the die hard fans that buy it anyway, so apple will keep churning them out.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

24 minutes ago, silberdrachi said:

Why on earth do people call things "Ultra" like theres not going to be something better in a couple years?

Company is so far up their own ass they just dont care that they are fucking over their own customers and the customers are starting to get sick of it.

Though there will always be the die hard fans that buy it anyway, so apple will keep churning them out.

Just like there will always be people who bitch and complain about everything and don't even bother to look into the details of the news they're complaining about. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

12 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

What reason could apple possibly have to switch from lightning to to UC-E6, a non apple proprietary standard that is bigger, less durable, and non reversible. I really doubt this will come to fruition as it makes literally zero sense -- pushing FireWire made sense, switching to lightning made sense, removing the headphone jack can arguably make sense, using only type c on the Macs makes sense..... This makes no sense.

Wouldn't be able to get them Apple rumor clicks without making up Apple rumors.

Some of you need to read the articles, this isn't a replacement for the lightning connector. I wouldn't know what it's for tho, maybe a partnership we don't know of yet.

...also, it's not confirmed, so don't get your panties in a twist just yet.

38 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Because that would limit Apple's ability to make their devices thinner, and we know Johnny doesn't like things not getting thinner.

the s models of iphones alsways get slightly thinker 

I lurk a lot