How do you overclock the CPU or gpu in a laptop

Is it possible to overclock the CPU in the dell latitude e6430? I also was wondering if there was a way to overclock the intel HD 4000 graphics.

You don't overclock laptops. The heating is usually already very poor and overclocking just makes things worse. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

1 minute ago, Megah3rtz said:

You don't overclock laptops. The heating is usually already very poor and overclocking just makes things worse. 

Ok. What about overclocking the intel he 4000 graphics?

The multiplier is definitely locked. You can maybe bump the base clock a bit, but the gains would be marginal and stability would suffer.

5 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Is it possible to overclock the CPU in the dell latitude e6430? I also was wondering if there was a way to overclock the intel HD 4000 graphics.

Not recommended, you can damage your components, not to mention you could get a blue screen.

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

2 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Ok. What about overclocking the intel he 4000 graphics?

Can you even oc an igpu?

I don't believe Dell even lets you touch the clocks in their BIOS.

OP, I know you've been wanting to stretch out the performance of your laptop, but a laptop is a closed system (especially from a major system builder) and you can do very little upgrading or improvements to it. I don't know what your story is with it, but if you just bought it recently, you're going to have to live with the fact you bought a business oriented machine that's more or less a potato for gaming.

To reiterate what others have said, you can't/shouldn't overclock anything in a laptop unless it is an enthusiast device with an HK processor and has adequate cooling. Usually these will come with their own overclocking software or pre-determined overclock profiles specially configured for the laptop in question. You would know if you had something like this, because it likely would've cost you over $2000.

The cooling systems in laptops are often designed specifically for the exact hardware and configuration installed. You shouldn't mess with it if you value the life of your device.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

10 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

There are a very, very, very few overclockable laptop CPUs out there, maybe just one, and I've only even heard of one laptop built around one. Basically, overclocking a laptop is an awful idea. Their cooling is terrible for the most part, and I can almost assure you that the cooling on your Latitude falls into that category.

I believe you can overclock the HD 4000 iGPU with XTU, but I do recall several testers who'd tried it saying that it was a terrible idea, with a high voltage draw, lots of excess heat and stability issues in exchange for an extra 3-4 FPS. If you really want to cook your system's guts in exchange for a few frames that mean jack spit when your system is only pulling down 20 FPS anyway, be my guest.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yep, but dependw on board and chip. 

An i5 3340m

3 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

An i5 3340m

If suggest getting a quad core or i7 for that system I'd you want a fast we cpu. If you can a faster gpu get the version of the board with a dgpu. 

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If suggest getting a quad core or i7 for that system I'd you want a fast we cpu. If you can a faster gpu get the version of the board with a dgpu. 

The reason I want to overclock is I play terratech and the main thing that increases performnce is single core speed and your graphics card

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I don't believe Dell even lets you touch the clocks in their BIOS.

OP, I know you've been wanting to stretch out the performance of your laptop, but a laptop is a closed system (especially from a major system builder) and you can do very little upgrading or improvements to it. I don't know what your story is with it, but if you just bought it recently, you're going to have to live with the fact you bought a business oriented machine that's more or less a potato for gaming.

I bought it over a year ago for $100. 

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Still, it doesn't change the fact it's a business oriented laptop that was not meant for gaming in the first place.

Of course it wasn't built for gaming. Gaming laptops are a waste of money. I was just going to do this as a fun project. 

• 1 year later...

You can oc both, cpu and integrated gpu. You need bootloader and usb (rufus) to unlock hidden bios options and change that. I successfully oc my dell e6430 i7-3720qm processor to 4ghz turbo, from 3.6ghz. Keep in mind, i have cooling mod from copper small heatsinks, what are attached to my main cpu heatsink and cooling pad without under-lid. To avoid bsod and other crashes or oc ever further then 4ghz, you also need power brick "overclock" (at least 5 % oc). This maintain regular and higher voltage (it's not harmfull to system, i'm using power oc for about 2 years). I'm gaming on this pc using egpu (gtx 1060) so i have disabled dgpu and igpu, but using the same usb with bootloader, you can achieve igpu (hd 4000) 40% oc.