Samsung 950 Pro and Samsung SM951 in Raid 0 a good idea?

davidst95

Hi, I have a 512GB Samsung 950 Pro in my Asrock X99/USB 3.1 mATX motherboard that has an I7-6800 and 64GB of RAM.   My friend offered me an extra 512GB SSD SM951 he has for $150 which I think is a really good deal.   He just wants to get rid of it because it's sitting on his self for awhile.   Is it possible to a combine the 950 Pro and SM951 together in a RAID 0 in my desktop?   I assumed they are almost the same drive.   l believe the 950 Pro is the retail version, and the SM951 is Samsung's OEM version.   If I do this, I would have to use a PCIe M.2 adapter for the second drive.   I'm not worried about using up PCIe slots because I have GTX 1080 and I have no plans to do SLI since I don't have a 4k monitor.    I assume using a PCIe slot would not be an issue because the M.2 slot on the board uses the same PCIe lanes as the PCIe slot.   Finally, I should have asked this first, is this setup even worth doing?   Am I going to see a big difference in speed on my Desktop?   I'm a developer that works from home half the week and I require multiple VMs running for my projects.  The other half of the time I'm just playing games. 

I hope my question was clearly articulated enough to make sense :-)   Thanks for any advice.

David

I think the M.2 slot in the X99 board uses the "CPU" PCIe lanes, not the PCH, PCIe lanes.  It's not possible to hardware raid because the CPU has no instructions on how to do that.

Ahh, I guess both of the replies solved my question :-)  I guess I should have done a little more research on the difference in chipsets.   I guess I'll put in the other NVMe drive in an external case with a 10gb/s + type-c connection.   Thanks for again for the info!

David