• Comodo
    • AVG
    • BitDefender
    • None
    • Panda
    • Malwarebytes "even though it's not anti-virus"
    • IObit
    • NOD32

Norton Security + Symantec Endpoint Security for NAS...though to be honest I probably don't really need Norton at all...

1 hour ago, Icuw1pc said:

I wouldn't really count that one, as 90% of the devices I have come into my store with infection issues have either that or Norton.

How many of those devices have an active subscription and isn't just expired? In my experience at the shop I worked at, most of them were expired because people just never bothered renewing it after the 30 days free when they first got their PC.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

24 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Defender + common sense is all you need lol

even though it is all you need in most of the cases, and if you do get a virus you could always try ComboFix, it doesnt hurt having a good antivirus like Kaspersky and Nod, they are just your last resource as good practices comes first...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, Icuw1pc said:

I wouldn't really count that one, as 90% of the devices I have come into my store with infection issues have either that or Norton.

Despite its flaws (I've been told it has some) Norton is still one of the most effective and highly rated AV programs.  No reason to leave it off your poll.

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

I use AVG free and Malwarebytes Free

Why not use the paid Malwarebytes?  It's super cheap (I got a boxed thing of it at a Walmart for like $25.) and adds active protection.  The free version lacks that I believe.  

47 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Mine isn't on the list, ESET Nod32 Antivirus.

What's "ESET Nod32"?     I haven't heard of it.

36 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

i'm using Bitdefender along with malwarebytes. 

Me too.  I had been using Norton and for the most part was happy with it but last fall when my Norton subscription ran out I asked on LTT and some users here said Bitdefender is better and some ratings I was shown seemed to confirm that so I switched to Bitdefender Total Security 2017 along with using the paid version of Malwarebytes since the free version it lacks active protection.  

I was just going to use Bitdefender's Internet Security version but I found and bought 2 copies of the 2016 version for cheap on eBay (brand new of course) and was able to freely upgrade it to the 2017 version.  So I used one copy on my main desktop and put the other on a computer I built for my friend for her birthday.  

12 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

even though it is all you need in most of the cases, and if you do get a virus you could always try ComboFix, it doesnt hurt having a good antivirus like Kaspersky and Nod, they are just your last resource as good practices comes first...

Common sense is good but not everyone has it. lol  

Accidents/homest mistakes do happen so I prefer to keep my computer armored up in an AV sense.  

What's ComboFix?

I would NEVER trust a Russian AV program like Kaspersky.  I'm pretty sure I'm read they have or had ties to the KGB or something bad.  For real I mean.   Basically that they aren't trustworthy IMO.  I wouldn't trust programs from Russia or China to be safe to use.   

Kaspersky...just because.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

I've been using nothing for years. Regular usage with general common sense to internet dangers is more than enough.

5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What's ComboFix?

Removal tool for generally more advanced users. Was a common tool used by repair shops, and places like GeekSquad back in the day. 

9 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Why not use the paid Malwarebytes?  It's super cheap (I got a boxed thing of it at a Walmart for like $25.) and adds active protection.  The free version lacks that I believe.

Because free is always better than paid, IMO.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Bitdefender + malwarebytes. Can't go wrong.

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

32 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Despite its flaws (I've been told it has some) Norton is still one of the most effective and highly rated AV programs.  No reason to leave it off your poll.

funny joke

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

i use malwarebytes and eset

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

9 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Because free is always better than paid, IMO.

Even if it lacks an important feature?    Some forms of malware can get on your computer even if you're being careful.  Like a drive by download I believe it's called.  

Active protection helps keep things like that from happening.  

Would I prefer free?  Yes of course.  But when paid keeps me safer I'm ok with it so long as the price is fair.  And $25 for 3 computers covered by Malwarebytes for a year is very nice.  

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Perhaps you could explain what you mean?

Norton is shite. Always has been and probably always will be. Still, it'll be used by masses due to their brownnosing tactics for OEMs.

bregsit

Spoiler

1 minute ago, imPixelTV said:

Norton is shite. Always has been and probably always will be. Still, it'll be used by masses due to their brownnosing tactics for OEMs.

If it's shite it's very well rated shite that is proven to be effective.  It's not perfect.  Nothing is but you can't discount that it is shown to work.  

6 minutes ago, imPixelTV said:

that used to be the case.... not anymore. it gets decent ratings and its no longer bloated as it was in the past

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d  Motherboard:  Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite  RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 16GB DDR5 6000   GPU:  Zotac RTX 4090

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair SHIFT RM1000x  Display:  ASUS AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC

Common sense is the only anti virus you need. All anti viruses do is add laggy shit to an otherwise speedy pc. 

360 Total Security. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

For all those that use a 3rd party anti-virus :

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/01/antivirus-is-bad/

I will continue to use antivirus software on my PC, but I also keep all of my programs up-to-date, and only install what I need/use. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

defender has goten better over the years

in 8 and 7 it was S**H

but in 1 it really has matured to a point where it could be considered to be used as a standalone anti-virus

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

34 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Even if it lacks an important feature?    Some forms of malware can get on your computer even if you're being careful.  Like a drive by download I believe it's called.  

Active protection helps keep things like that from happening.  

Would I prefer free?  Yes of course.  But when paid keeps me safer I'm ok with it so long as the price is fair.  And $25 for 3 computers covered by Malwarebytes for a year is very nice.  

I run a scan once a week and have had no issues.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

I am seeing that none and win defender are more liked so far, I may use AVG, (I don't trust my parents) that occasionally use my pc, and I had a bad time with windows defender when I somehow got a key logger, whilst I was on vacation for a couple of days and my dad went online (gawd nvr again).

AVG or even another AV is just peace of mine that less knowledgeable people when it comes to the internet use my pc, and that it's safe.

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

-snip-

https://www.eset.com/int/home/antivirus/

http://combofix.org

You could just google, I don't see why try making it sound bad or anything, those are legit softwares.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

How many of those devices have an active subscription and isn't just expired? In my experience at the shop I worked at, most of them were expired because people just never bothered renewing it after the 30 days free when they first got their PC.

Almost every single was was active. I usually don't work with home users really so my clients are cheap. Most are small buisnesses and medium sized corporations. 

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000