Nintendo online serice will be $30 a YEAR or less.

GoodBytes

In an interview with Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima  by the Japanese newspaper The Nikkei. The big question on the cost of the online service was asked, and the president answered.

Based on his answer, we can see that the company is still evaluating the cost of the service.

NintendoSwitch_hardware_Console_03.0.0.j

He says that the service would cost between 2,000 yen and 3,000 yen per year, putting it in the $17–$26 US range. Usually prices of things are rounded up. So it will probably be $20 to $30.

In an interview with Japanese newspaper The Nikkei, Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima said that the service would cost between 2,000 yen and 3,000 yen per year, putting it in the $17–$26 range. Though details are light at the moment, the service will cover multiplayer gaming as well as offering users a free classic game download each month.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/1/14474430/nintendo-switch-online-service-price

While the free game per month situation is shitty, what do you feel about the price?

In comparison, the XBox One and PS4 online service is $60 US per year.

Would you prefer to have a free game which you may or may not already have, like the XBox One and PS4 online service but pay more per year, or are you ok with what is being offered by Nintendo? Of course, having both is ideal, or at least get those free SNES/NES games for free all the time, but ignoring this, what do you think?

I am glad it's cheaper then the competition but it is annoying to have so many monthly services. I want to get the switch but I am waiting for more info and some reviews.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

For me it really depends on the games.  I'm not paying for online if there aren't games that have a worthy online experience.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

that's cool, only reason i am buying it is so I can play with my family face to face. the nes games are a bit of a letdown, my pi Gameboy handles all of that. 

I think all the prices to do with the switch are certainly not value for money in the current situation I mean £59.99 to pre-order some games which really don't look like full priced games and not even mentioning the fact an Xbox One and PS4 are currently cheaper than the Switch's pre-order price, despite all that I still plan on buying one, but back to my original point, I think these high prices are to make up for the other consoles which didn't perform so well, e.g Wii U 

Oliy Barrett

Founder and Web Developer at discordbots.org

I'll pay into it. I didn't have a WiiU and splatoon seems fun so I'll get it for that. Beyond that I'll probably hit up Mario Kart online as well.

Edit: 30 dollars a year is extremely cheap though.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I don't know why you guys are complaining about paid online to begin with.

In any case, not too bad.

I think the issue is that there's never been any "online" worthy games in the past that would warrant paying a fee for.

But does the switch work for those on the ISS? will those services work as those intrepid explorers plan the first space BBQ?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

The Nintendo 3DS has it right with the Pokébank. If I want to use it (and only it, which is the case) I pay $5 a year subscription.

Paying an unreasonable blanket fee is toss

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

15 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I don't know why you guys are complaining about paid online to begin with.

In any case, not too bad.

I think the biggest issue is the fact that their online service doesn't offer the same incentives that Sony and Microsoft offer. Microsoft and Sony both give free titles for the user to keep indefinitely, while Nintendo deactivates the "free game" after every month, in favor of a different title. Had Nintendo intended to charge the same amount as Sony and Microsoft for their online service, I would have passed on it. However, $25-$30 a month, being half the cost, is a pretty enticing offer, even without keeping the free game.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

So Nintendo are the nickle and dime champions of the console world?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

4 minutes ago, Kierax said:

So Nintendo are the nickle and dime champions of the console world?

And people love them for it.

It's like a cult, i just don't understand

1 minute ago, potoooooooo said:

And people love them for it.

It's like a cult, i just don't understand

GF is really into her Pokemon I just don't get Nintendo full stop.  

I feel sometimes Nintendo looks at a solution that makes sense and works for others and thinks;

"no we won't do that, we will do the opposite".  

I spend way more than $30 on Twitch each week and that's just on watching other people play games, hell yeah I'll get the online service. :)

-KuJoe

I personally wouldn't even be playing online to begin with anyway. I barely even play online games on my PC, much less on a console of all things. 

But $30 a year seems relatively good, especially if it offer a free game per month for that price, it'd be cheaper than buying 12 different games and 1 month is generally more than enough to finish said game... Unless those free games are something like, NES classics or whatever, in which case, not worth it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I personally wouldn't even be playing online to begin with anyway. I barely even play online games on my PC, much less on a console of all things. 

But $30 a year seems relatively good, especially if it offer a free game per month for that price.

you get to keep the game only for that month, considering psn lets you keep that game for life long as you have an account, it will be interesting to see how fans react to this.   

8 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

you get to keep the game only for that month, considering psn lets you keep that game for life long as you have an account, it will be interesting to see how fans react to this.   

fans are not happy about it, from what I am reading. Some even says to not bother having anything.

-_- I'll do nothing of the sort until I'm fully tired of CSGO.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

44 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

But $30 a year seems relatively good, especially if it offer a free game per month for that price, it'd be cheaper than buying 12 different games and 1 month is generally more than enough to finish said game... Unless those free games are something like, NES classics or whatever, in which case, not worth it.

41 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Sony lets users have 2 free PS4 games per month, with the licenses lasting so long as one has a PS+ subscription. I believe they also let PS+ users claim 1 or 2 free PS3 games if they have a PS3 as well. Then there are copious discounts on digital downloads for slightly older AAA games and various indie/smaller developer/ foreign games.

Microsoft lets users have 2 free games for Xbox One, and 2 for 360, per month, and offer some discounts as well with XBL Gold.

Games on both systems range from $10-60 (usually it's one indie, one slightly older AAA and combine come around $50-60)

Both of their services cost $60 if one goes for a full year.

So, as it stands, for $30 on the Switch's premium subscription, one might get one 'classic' game per month (likely older N64, Gamebube, and DS titles that go for $5), and have a license to it for a month.

Not a huge selling point for me, and I doubt that many people outside Nintendo's most extreme fanboys are going to care either.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Sony lets users have 2 free PS4 games per month, with the licenses lasting so long as one has a PS+ subscription. I believe they also let PS+ users claim 1 or 2 free PS3 games if they have a PS3 as well. Then there are copious discounts on digital downloads for slightly older AAA games and various indie/smaller developer/ foreign games.

Microsoft lets users have 2 free games for Xbox One, and 2 for 360, per month, and offer some discounts as well with XBL Gold.

Games on both systems range from $10-60 (usually it's one indie, one slightly older AAA and combine come around $50-60)

So, as it stands, for $30 on the Switch's premium subscription, one might get one 'classic' game per month (likely older N64, Gamebube, and DS titles that go for $5), and have a license to it for a month.

Not a huge selling point for me, and I doubt that many people outside Nintendo's most extreme fanboys are going to care either.

You also have discounts on the Switch... but no info. Well the whole thing is no info... I think Nintendo is still working it out all the details.

Alright better than xbox and PS4 (No, I don't want the "OMG FREE GAIMZ!!" from Plus, why don't they offer a cheaper option to just play online, cheaper as in fucking free if possible)

It's still about 30 too expensive but hey if there's compelling titles and decent tablet functions I might be on board.

-------

Current Rig

-------

14 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

i have a pi game for all my retro games, people who i want to play multiplayer are going to be in the same room. the subscription is not for me unless they have a killer feature. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i have a pi game for all my retro games, people who i want to play multiplayer are going to be in the same room. the subscription is not for me unless they have a killer feature. 

I've got in i5/HD7750 build for emulation, and the emulators I use can run on a decent i5 laptop or low end desktop, with little setup, with multiplayer capability as well. So farm the Switch overall isn't for me unless they have a good selection of games that aren't just Pokémon.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I've got in i5/HD7750 build for emulation, and the emulators I use can run on a decent i5 laptop or low end desktop, with little setup, with multiplayer capability as well. So farm the Switch overall isn't for me unless they have a good selection of games that aren't just Pokémon.

Sadly, emulators still lags behind.. Heck, SNES emulator are still not great. Some big title games still have issues on that system. Sure, you can boost the game graphics, but if you have performance issues, or graphical glitches, it ruins the game. Sure it might be excellent with some games, but not all.