Will 880k bottleneck 1060 3gb?

R3ep3r

Should I go for a 1060 3gb on my 880k configuration or the CPU will bottleneck the GPU and should I go with a 1050ti?

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

Im not super sure about your CPU but i would say save and get the ti and upgrade down the line.

Well, there's this misconception that running a GPU that is bottlenecked will result in an uplayable experience. I can tell you this: if you buy a 1060 3GB (I have reasons to say that you shouldn't because there are better cards that cost the same, but that's for another time), it will push more framerates than the 1050 Ti in your Athton 880K system. That's true for most games, and even though your CPU will be pegged at 100% the whole time.

So I still recommend investing on a $200-$250 GPU right now because you'll be able to carry it over whenever you decide to upgrade to a more powerful CPU.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Ye it will, pretty badly as well...

on a side note, if you're gonna get the 1060 3GB, get the RX480 4GB and if the 1050ti then the RX470...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I am thinking at the same thing, because if I go and buy the 1060 I will have to upgrade the PSU too since the one I have got it's a shitty one and it doesn't have a 6 pin connector as the 1060 requires while the 1050ti uses only the power supply from the motherboard without any other connector.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

1 minute ago, R3ep3r said:

I am thinking at the same thing, because if I go and buy the 1060 I will have to upgrade the PSU too since the one I have got it's a shitty one and it doesn't have a 6 pin connector as the 1060 requires while the 1050ti uses only the power supply from the motherboard without any other connector.

I see. Well, to be honest you should be replacing your PSU anyway. The one in your system is suspect enough that I am concerned about the integrity of your computer.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Ah, that changes everything then...

Obviously the 1050ti will give you the best bang for the buck (maybe? not too sure actually) where as getting a better PSU now and GPU means that you can keep them for longer and not have to rebuy again down the line. 

IMO, a RX480 4GB and a new PSU would be the best option but it's down to what budget you have :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ah, that changes everything then...

Obviously the 1050ti will give you the best bang for the buck (maybe? not too sure actually) where as getting a better PSU now and GPU means that you can keep them for longer and not have to rebuy again down the line. 

IMO, a RX480 4GB and a new PSU would be the best option but it's down to what budget you have :) 

Keep in mind this is in Romania, prices could be borked af

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Keep in mind this is in Romania, prices could be borked af

Amen to that! My budget is around 475$ for GPU and Monitor and I already picked up something:

I was planning to go for a 1050ti which is around 200, 225$(value converted from RON to USD) and a 24" Dell 1080p, IPS and displayport. And I will still save some money for other upgrades such as a PSU or SSD.

But this morning, I don't know what was in my mind and I searched a bit for a 1060 and how well it performs. 

As a comparison between 1050ti and 1060, 1060 will give me 30 more FPS in Doom(Vulkan 1080P, ultra).

Sidenote: I saw that on the internet that the 1050ti runs at 50fps(without vulkan) and the 1060 could run at over 60-70fps. BUT again.. if I go with the 1060, I am worried about the bottleneck and also I will have to get a newer PSU. 500w with all the connectors and shits.
Sidenote2: 1060 is 250$ on the market, the PSU around 75$(Corsair Builder Series CX500 V2) and the monitor will get the rest.

I really don't know what to do at the moment and I am confused AF.

TO BE UPGRADED:

Amen to that! My budget is around 475$ for GPU and Monitor and I already picked up something:

I was planning to go for a 1050ti which is around 200, 225$(value converted from RON to USD) and a 24" Dell 1080p, IPS and displayport. And I will still save some money for other upgrades such as a PSU or SSD.

But this morning, I don't know what was in my mind and I searched a bit for a 1060 and how well it performs. 

As a comparison between 1050ti and 1060, 1060 will give me 30 more FPS in Doom(Vulkan 1080P, ultra).

Sidenote: I saw that on the internet that the 1050ti runs at 50fps(without vulkan) and the 1060 could run at over 60-70fps. BUT again.. if I go with the 1060, I am worried about the bottleneck and also I will have to get a newer PSU. 500w with all the connectors and shits.
Sidenote2: 1060 is 250$ on the market, the PSU around 75$(Corsair Builder Series CX500 V2) and the monitor will get the rest.

I really don't know what to do at the moment and I am confused AF.

Oh you play DOOM. Get a RX 470, should cost less than the 1060 3GB and push more framerates. And maybe that price difference will let you get a good PSU.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Oh you play DOOM. Get a RX 470, should cost less than the 1060 3GB and push more framerates. And maybe that price difference will let you get a good PSU.

Ohh no, I did not say that I play or I want to play Doom xD; I just watched some benchmark tests on youtube on how well does a 1050ti perform vs. 1060 and I saw some noticeable differences between them two. That's why I picked that 'Doom' game in that comment above xD 

And believe me.. Now I am running on a GT430 and I can play less than 5 2016 games with more than 30fps. 

After this upgrade.. I will surely have what to play.

TO BE UPGRADED:

Ohh no, I did not say that I play or I want to play Doom xD; I just watched some benchmark tests on youtube on how well does a 1050ti perform vs. 1060 and I saw some noticeable differences between them two. That's why I picked that 'Doom' game in that comment above xD 

And believe me.. Now I am running on a GT430 and I can play less than 5 2016 games with more than 30fps. 

Doesn't matter whether you get a 1050ti, RX470, RX1060 3GB or a RX480 4GB, you'll be able to play triple As at ultra mostly :) (okay, maybe not the 1050ti for 60fps in most)

I'd say either RX470 or a RX480 with a new PSU if possible as both cards are capable and although the RX470 is slower than the 1060 3GB, you can expect it to last a little longer at higher settings as that extra 1GB of vRAM really is quite important now :P 

Here's numbers on RX 470 and 480 in DOOM, vulkan.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti,4787-4.html

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2510-doom-vulkan-vs-opengl-benchmark-rx-480-gtx-1080

These are just to give you an idea because with an Athlon 880K, you'll be getting less fps just in general. But you can expect the AMD 470 or 480 to do DOOM at really high framerates.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Many of the mentioned cards are good options, even the 1060 3GB. It alwasy depends on what you want to spend max and what fits your price range. Tehre is always somethign said for a better card if you spend more, there are also 1070s 1080s and Titan Xps.

But would say pick something that can run decently now and whatever otehr parts you upgrade like PSU make sure it is decent. That way you can get something that won't hold you back for future upgrades. You will have issues with that CPU depdning what games you play, but assuming you want triple A titles, you willl need to upgrade to new platform soon.

Pick something form the tier list. All of tier 3 and above are PSU's that should last years.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

My 760k bottlenecks my 280X by quite a bit.

I'd try to get a better CPU, like an i5-6400.

As some people told me, it's better to have less eye candy but a nice and steady frame rate, than having the game running at Ultra and it being super choppy.

And yes, when I, play FH3, even at the lowest settings, it's choppy as hell because my Athlon can't handle the physics :|

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

do you have a T.V. you can use as a monitor for a while? that would free up some money.

1 hour ago, LabRat said:

do you have a T.V. you can use as a monitor for a while? that would free up some money.

Sadly no. I have a 17" monitor only with VGA connector and I really want to go change it for a 24" full HD

TO BE UPGRADED:

Since you said you have a non full HD monitor, the rx 470 is the best choise imo, no need spending more (bottleneck and rx470 still kicks ass in 1080p).