Discord is now asking for your money in the form of "Discord Nitro".

AlTech
7 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Not that I disagree with you, but an argument can also be made that if you make a commitment you should stick with it. If you give your word that an app will go free and you go back on your word that's a violation of trust. Has nothing to do with the app being your property or not, it has to do with not making commitments you can't keep.

It's also an expense that has to be funded. Sometimes, details need to change so that a service can stay afloat. In this case, Discord is still free, but a payment gives access to more features and allows the team to keep building the hardware side of things so that they can feel comfortable while coding software.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

as long as they don't hide features that are realy usefull behind this 100% optional plan i see no problem.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

It's also an expense that has to be funded. Sometimes, details need to change so that a service can stay afloat. In this case, Discord is still free, but a payment gives access to more features and allows the team to keep building the hardware side of things so that they can feel comfortable while coding software.

Again, not that I disagree, but that's exactly the reason a lot of companies keep certain things to themselves. There's a fundamental difference between A) releasing a free product, keeping it free for a while, and adding paid service bonuses, and B) releasing a free product, telling people there will never be paid service bonuses, and then releasing paid service bonuses.

If you're not absolutely sure that details won't change, sometimes it's better to keep those details to yourselves, especially with a small development team like the Discord one.

2 hours ago, Daring said:

A stable Linux build is out now. Windows 10 Mobile, probably gonna be concurrent with the release of Half-Life 3.

If I was allowed to call you a troll right now then I'd have no issue doing so.

I have had direct contact with discord and they hinted at being in the process of developing it.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

If I was allowed to call you a troll right now then I'd have no issue doing so.

I have had direct contact with discord and they hinted at being in the process of developing it.

Just tryin' to be funny.

My dumb friends rarely talk on Discord, it's mostly Telegram. On that note, still bettertl than Skype. 

Why dont u mention the price ???

Sounds fine to me as far as it stays free. Good move considering how popular it is. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

3 minutes ago, Thony said:

Why dont u mention the price ???

price is in the image.

it's $49.99/year or $4.99/month

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

They want $50 USD a year for a messaging app?

I get that they need money, but considering how much competition there is, that is entirely free, that's just too much. Cut that in half and now we're talking.

Because honestly, I'm looking at the features it has, "compared to skype"... Then I compare that to Trillian and suddenly it's not worth it when Trillian has a lifetime subscription for $60 and nearly the same features (except in-browser and channels?)

Except its basically honorware with benefits. The perks  are profile pics and large file uploads. Its something you buy to support the devs, not because its necessary to use the program.

- snip-

12 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

My dumb friends rarely talk on Discord, it's mostly Telegram. On that note, still bettertl than Skype. 

Yeah. It seems that skype and TS are the most common mediums, but discord is the best IMO.

- snip-

Nitro has been a thing for a while, this is just the first time they are showing it of in the patchnotes lol. anyway im not sure what il do, might pay becaue i was early on the Discord train and i love it to bits but i also dont like to pay for anything i can get for free(legaly) so ikd, untill it gets to a worse state then Spotify free(yes im still using this pice of shit i dont have enough MP3s yet :( ) i dont think il pay anything even tho one of my major complaints have been the upload limit and that emotes are server restricted :/ 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

32 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Nitro has been a thing for a while, this is just the first time they are showing it of in the patchnotes lol.

This is not necessarily true.

For many countries it has not been available until this release. Since December it's been available in one or two countries to try it out.

I have no problem funding a program that can edit time and space. Noticed this on my PC today.

mJ4rokP.png

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, deviant88 said:

free is the only right price

There is still the usual free option, they are adding another one to finance themselves. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

price is in the image.

it's $49.99/year or $4.99/month

Im a dumbass :D thanks. Thats like twitch subscription which already is pricey. I dont like this pricing.

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

9 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

A programmer's invention (property?) should be his own. If he wishes to change to a paid service, he should be allowed to do so as it is his/her time being poured into the project and not the end-user's (barring beta testers). 

i honestly disagree with that. yes its their invention, but its also part of a lot of people their lives. they have full rights to complain if they wish so. just because its free and they don't own it doesn't mean that they are not dependent on it. and im not saying that the developer should listen to them, but if that creates a backslash than its the developers own fault for not listening or introducing it wrong.

8 hours ago, TetraSky said:

They want $50 USD a year for a messaging app?

I get that they need money, but considering how much competition there is, that is entirely free, that's just too much. Cut that in half and now we're talking.

Because honestly, I'm looking at the features it has, "compared to skype"... Then I compare that to Trillian and suddenly it's not worth it when Trillian has a lifetime subscription for $60 and nearly the same features (except in-browser and channels?)

Sure there is free competition that is little to no different. This is aimed at people who like to specifically use Discord and want to contribute to the cause. Not about saying "Oh hey you can now give us money for something you get elsewhere for free or cheaper". Think you're missing the point. 

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

28 minutes ago, Thony said:

Im a dumbass :D thanks. Thats like twitch subscription which already is pricey. I dont like this pricing.

yeah I think the price is a little steep.

Also I don't like how it's trying to be a Generic Type A Business Price with a $.99 at the end.....

That pisses me off because the $.99 is for tricking people into thinking they're spending less money than they actually think they are.

Edited by AluminiumTech
Fixed a mistake

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

That pisses me off because the $.99 is for tricking people into thinking they're spending more money than they actually think they are.

I thought .99 is tricking them into thinking its less... I mean 5 and 4.99 might make a difference. 

But screw the money talk or Im gonna get into US not including TAX in their pricing and then jump off a bridge :D

5 minutes ago, Thony said:

I thought .99 is tricking them into thinking its less...

yeah that's what I meant xD.

I'm very tired lol.

5 minutes ago, Thony said:

But screw the money talk or Im gonna get into US not including TAX in their pricing and then jump off a bridge :D

lol

I dig it, even if I didn't I don't see a problem they havent took away any free features and personally i think its one of if not the best VoIP tools going so its cool with me if this is what keeps the servers online then i say go for it i can think of plenty of people that would pay for this for sure 

I lurk a lot