Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

gtx 1070 with i5-6600k or i7-6700k for gaming

I really can't decide if I should get a i5-6600k or i7-6700k CPU for my new building, First I have the concern if the i5 will get obsolete for future games sooner that I think and maybe it will bottleneck the gtx 1070 I'm planning to get. I don't have the budget right now to afford the i7 but I can wait about 2 months and get it. Is it worth to wait and to invest on the i7 for a pc that will be mainly for gaming?

 

Full build:

  • case: corsair spec alpha.
  • CPU: i5-6600k or i7-6700k
  • cooling: CM hyper 212x
  • RAM: 16 GB corsair vengeance LPX.
  • GPU: GTX GeForce 1070 Gigabyte G1 Gaming
  • MB: Gigabyte z170x gaming 6
  • PSU: EVGA 750 80+ bronce semimodular.
  • HDD: 1 Tb WD 7200 rpm
  • SDD: 240 Gb samsung 850 evo

If you have any other comments about the other components (compatibility or just some advices) i'll appreciate them.

 

Thanks for your comments.

Link to post
Share on other sites

An i7 will last you longer, that's for sure. there are games that will happily use an i7.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

An i7 will last you longer, that's for sure. there are games that will happily use an i7.

i will add go for a i7 if you can afford it 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Afabril said:

I really can't decide if I should get a i5-6600k or i7-6700k CPU for my new building, First I have the concern if the i5 will get obsolete for future games sooner that I think and maybe it will bottleneck the gtx 1070 I'm planning to get. I don't have the budget right now to afford the i7 but I can wait about 2 months and get it. Is it worth to wait and to invest on the i7 for a pc that will be mainly for gaming?

 

Full build:

  • case: corsair spec alpha.
  • CPU: i5-6600k or i7-6700k
  • cooling: CM hyper 212x
  • RAM: 16 GB corsair vengeance LPX.
  • GPU: GTX GeForce 1070 Gigabyte G1 Gaming
  • MB: Gigabyte z170x gaming 6
  • PSU: EVGA 750 80+ bronce semimodular.
  • HDD: 1 Tb WD 7200 rpm
  • SDD: 240 Gb samsung 850 evo

If you have any other comments about the other components (compatibility or just some advices) i'll appreciate them.

 

Thanks for your comments.

Why not get the 7700K? It's pretty much the same price. Maybe a Z270 board?

Current PC Rig: i7 7700K with Cryorig H7 || MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon AC iTX || MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB || 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz || 240GB Adata Premier SSD || 1TB WD Blue || EVGA 550GS || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv iTX || Dell U2715H

Laptop: Macbook Pro Late 2016 with Touch Bar (15inches): i7 2.GHz || 16GB RAM || 512GB Flash || Radeon Pro 460 4GB VRAM

Link to post
Share on other sites

i5 and i7 have basicly the same signle core power u will see like 4 fps jump on the i7 to the i5 also get a kaby lake as there cheaper and better then sky lake

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

 

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, spacemen13579 said:

Why not get the 7700K? It's pretty much the same price. Maybe a Z270 board?

It's a similar price but not really a improve for gaming... so I dont see the point on invest in a 7700k. About the MB I haven't really search about a Z270.

Link to post
Share on other sites

also heads up u dont need the LPX u only need a 2133mhz ram dont pay more for high speed ram u wont see the difference 

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

 

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

Link to post
Share on other sites

i have

i5-7600k

16gb hyper x fury (2133mhz)

xfx rx 480 8gb rs

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu 

 

this build is running bf1 at 80fps ultra at 1440p (VSR)

cpu usage at 80%

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

 

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CatXice said:

i have

i5-7600k

16gb hyper x fury (2133mhz)

xfx rx 480 8gb rs

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu 

 

this build is running bf1 at 80fps ultra at 1440p (VSR)

cpu usage at 80%

nice build. Did u OC the CPU?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Afabril said:

nice build. Did u OC the CPU?

 

nope all standard clocks

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

 

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Afabril said:

First I have the concern if the i5 will get obsolete for future games sooner that I think and maybe it will bottleneck the gtx 1070 I'm planning to get.

I can't easily believe an i5-6600K will become "obsolete" for games in the next few years. So far it doesn't look like Intel plans on making CPUs with greater than 4 threads available for cheaper than $300 anytime soon, so it would therefore be slightly suicidal for game developers to plan on the bulk of their audience owning them. We may be headed for that eventually, but I don't think it's going to happen for a while.

 

How much an i7 helps depends on what games you're going to play and at what framerates. If you want to play Battlefield 1 and try to maintain 100+ FPS, that appears to take an i7. If you're only aiming for 60 FPS and playing a wide variety of games, you're probably not going to regret having an i5.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, typographie said:

I can't easily believe an i5-6600K will become "obsolete" for games in the next few years. So far it doesn't look like Intel plans on making CPUs with greater than 4 threads available for cheaper than $300 anytime soon, so it would therefore be slightly suicidal for game developers to plan on the bulk of their audience owning them. We may be headed for that eventually, but I don't think it's going to happen for a while.

 

How much an i7 helps depends on what games you're going to play and at what framerates. If you want to play Battlefield 1 and try to maintain 100+ FPS, that appears to take an i7. If you're only aiming for 60 FPS and playing a wide variety of games, you're probably not going to regret having an i5.

Thanks a lot for your comment. I just want to play most of the games with 60+ FPS on ultra settings. I just saw some posts saying the differences between i5 and i7 were about 2-5 FPS... If that is the case I will invest in the i5-6600k and probably OC it. I'd save considerable amount of money,

Link to post
Share on other sites

The middle term with the i7 6700, will be better than the i5 6600k, give you HT for more future proof and you can save the buck from overclocking(stock cooler+cheap mobo).

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0ghz  |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Dark Rock 4 |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3333mhz CL15 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 80Plus Platinum  |~| Boot: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Acer Predator X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
 
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900 @4.75ghz |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3400mhzCL15 Viper Steel |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti |~| PSU: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 80Plus Gold  |~|  Boot:  Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2x2TB SanDisk SSD Ultra 3D |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Viotek GN34CB 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.


HTPC / "Console of the house":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Afabril said:

Thanks a lot for your comment. I just want to play most of the games with 60+ FPS on ultra settings. I just saw some posts saying the differences between i5 and i7 were about 2-5 FPS... If that is the case I will invest in the i5-6600k and probably OC it. I'd save considerable amount of money,

Yeah, sometimes it is 2-5 FPS. Sometimes it's 0. Sometimes it's quite a bit more, but on most benchmarks I've ever seen that showed such a difference it occurred when the i5 was already well. So it's usually not going to be a matter of, "an i7 can play this game and an i5 cannot." It comes down to what you're trying to do and if you have a monitor that can take advantage of very high framerates.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×