mico atx vs atx

What are the pros and cons of an atx sized motherboard vs a mico atx sized motherboard besides the obvious size . My friend is telling me the mico atx is the better way to go and is the future . So let me hear from you guys . 

I'm pretty sure theres no pro/cons besides micro ATX being smaller....

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

4 minutes ago, mercury24 said:

What are the pros and cons of an atx sized motherboard vs a mico atx sized motherboard besides the obvious size . My friend is telling me the mico atx is the better way to go and is the future . So let me hear from you guys . 

ATX is more expandable and more expensive. Micro ATX is smaller and cheaper, however harder to find a z series chipset in.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Micro is smaller and if you have the money, you can get a small case and a high end reference card (and an ssd) and take your tiny ass computer wherever you go

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

1 minute ago, hconverse02 said:

Micro is smaller and if you have the money, you can get a small case and a high end reference card (and an ssd) and take your tiny ass computer wherever you go

That's ITX.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

58 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

That's ITX.

Thats what i meant

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

There's no real pros and cons beyond the size and number of expansion slots. I guess you could make the argument that micro atx boards fit in more cases, but again that's a size thing.

Your friend is full of shit btw, micro aux boards have been around for a long ass time and still haven't taken over.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

4 minutes ago, incarnate said:

Your friend is full of shit btw, micro aux boards have been around for a long ass time and still haven't taken over.

I was thinking the same thing, but enjoyed your subtle approach!  xD

+ its usually cheaper than a full size board

- limited number of all kinds of ports ( sata / ram / m.2 if it has any... / PCIe and etc)

- usually no OC features or really crappy ones that at the end blow it up 

- no fancy buttons or debugers or anything cool that you can see on the expensive ones

wanna continue?

I personally prefer m-atx boards and cases now, although a couple years ago I was all about full atx.  I guess I realized that I'm NEVER going to use more than 2x SLI and I really don't have any need for any other pci peripherals like ssd or wifi.  I guess atx is still nice when air cooling so you can get some space between cards, but I've moved on to watercooling and I cannot really see myself going back. 

Not all m-atx boards are crappy OC'ers either.  My m-atx z97 gryphon keeps up with what my atx z97 classified was able to do and it never even breaks a sweat.  ASRock has the z170m OC formula which is a GREAT board for OC (although its ATX brethren is also great) 

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

4 minutes ago, komar said:

+ its usually cheaper than a full size board

- limited number of all kinds of ports ( sata / ram / m.2 if it has any... / PCIe and etc)

- usually no OC features or really crappy ones that at the end blow it up 

- no fancy buttons or debugers or anything cool that you can see on the expensive ones

wanna continue?

There are microatx boards that can do all of those well they are just around 50 dollars more then their atx counterparts

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

There are microatx boards that can do all of those well they are just around 50 dollars more then their atx counterparts

i agree but if you want high end are you really gonna go for mini atx that limits you for almost everything?

mini itx, for the way i see it at least, its and will be a  budget choice