What's the point of leak testing for extended periods?

I always see people saying how you need to leak test for like 12-24 hrs but that seems pretty ridiculous. Anytime I've ever had a leak was during filling and after you fix it I've never had it leak again. 

Is this just something that was required during the early days of WC because there were issues with machining and tubing?

The most I leak test is like an hour or two and that's mainly for bleeding more than anything. 

I know people are pretty split on how long you should leak test and they are also split on whether it's even necessary to do it for long periods of time anymore. 

Leaks usually happen once you start using the computer due to the heat expanding stuff correct? So wouldn't leak testing for hours and hours with the system off be pretty pointless when the first time you start putting load on the system it begins to leak?

I personally dive right in after I've bled the system and run benchmarks for an hour or so and sit there and watch for leaks. I haven't had an issue yet doing this so it must work!

What are your thoughts?

I think after an hour you'll know if it's leaking or not... 24 hours is ridiculous for finding a leak.

I agree but that's what people recommend, that or 12 hours. 

I've also seen people recommending leak testing while they sleep which just seems stupid since if a leak happens while you're asleep what good is that going to do? All that will do is flood your entire computer which will probably damage it even if it's not on. 

I'm pretty anal with things so I don't even like leaving my computer on if I'm not gonna be around for an extended period of time. 

I tend to unplug the fans once its up and running and let it get to a good high operating temp and then close the fill port on the rad, so you have a closed system that wont over pressurise with expansion of the coolant...

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

To make sure it doesn't leak.

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

I tend to unplug the fans once its up and running and let it get to a good high operating temp and then close the fill port on the rad, so you have a closed system that wont over pressurise with expansion of the coolant...

That's a pretty smart idea. So you're forcing the expansion right off the bat with the absolute worst case scenario. 

To make sure it doesn't leak.

I didn't ask what the point of leak testing in general was, it was about needing to do it for such a long period of time. 

That's a pretty smart idea. So you're forcing the expansion right off the bat with the absolute worst case scenario. 

I didn't ask what the point of leak testing in general was, it was about needing to do it for such a long period of time. 

I think you misunderstood me, What I wanted to say was: To make SURE it doesn't leak.

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

I persoanlly run my loop for 60-120 mins and try and pull the tubing out of the fittings to see if it holds.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I persoanlly run my loop for 60-120 mins and try and pull the tubing out of the fittings to see if it holds.

You should do that before filling maybe?

I dont leak test with water anymore,I use air. Connect your compressor to the loop with 1/4 fittings with an air rated stop valve and a pressure gauge,pressurise the loop to 7 Psi then shut the valve. Any pressure loss is indicative of a leak,to find the leak then use a solution of dish soap on each fitting,any leaks wil cause bubbles.

Normally i test for around an hour,air is very quick at finding leaks.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

You should do that before filling maybe?

I dont leak test with water anymore,I use air. Connect your compressor to the loop with 1/4 fittings with an air rated stop valve and a pressure gauge,pressurise the loop to 7 Psi then shut the valve. Any pressure loss is indicative of a leak,to find the leak then use a solution of dish soap on each fitting,any leaks wil cause bubbles.

Normally i test for around an hour,air is very quick at finding leaks.

That's what I meant.

Also, that's a very good idea with the air.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

That's what I meant.

Also, that's a very good idea with the air.

Its an entry level plumber technique for gas lines,so much cleaner than filling THEN finding a leak....especially with unicorn oil fluids being so outright expensive.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.