Do you believe in a god?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in a god?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

Not from what I've read.

So post your sources.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Kids remember to have at Least three INTEXT CITATIONS and your Works Cited page. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

See even though I don't believe in any gods,  I still know that people have every right to believe in whatever they want. If that's making your nightly prayer to the spork Lord,  then do it. Whatever you believe in,  keep believing in it,  don't let people's beliefs interfere with yours. Religion is a touchy subject because people like when other people agree with them. I don't find it silly or dumb if you believe in God, that's your business,  not ANYONE else's. That's why I don't think threads like this should be allowed. The Internet is where all the communistic propaganda originates from. Just keep beliefs where they belong,  with you,  not shoving it down every bodies throats. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

2 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

See even though I don't believe in any gods,  I still know that people have every right to believe in whatever they want. If that's making your nightly prayer to the spork Lord,  then do it. Whatever you believe in,  keep believing in it,  don't let people's beliefs interfere with yours. Religion is a touchy subject because people like when other people agree with them. I don't find it silly or dumb if you believe in God, that's your business,  not ANYONE else's. That's why I don't think threads like this should be allowed. The Internet is where all the communistic propaganda originates from. Just keep beliefs where they belong,  with you,  not shoving it down every bodies throats. 

I get that it's a touchy subject, I've had several discussions with my Christian friend in real life but we both enjoy it because we like hearing each other's perspective. 

I'm not sure why you're bringing up Communism but blocking free discussion is just as authoritarian. Nobody is shoving their belief down anyone else's throat since this is an actual free discussion, nobody is required to participate or even read it.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

19 hours ago, stconquest said:

It is not like that.  It is the way he assumes quoting scripture is always the way to validate the belief.  He is moving away from the personal journey that he should have available to him and tries to force the convictions of his religious interpretation onto people (like myself) that won't buy it in any way.

He goes as far as to highlight "what Jesus said" in red as if to say that is relevant to some discussion with me.  I don't gives a rat's patooty what "jesus said".  He should be able to realize that.

Some Christian churches are pretty horrible and produce some really disconnected people, not saying he is one of them... just that the rhetoric is far removed from reality; a deep nonsensical spiral into the cold nothingness of being needlessly wrong.

Alas, aren't we all wrong from time to time?.. but that is another discussion.  :P

If you don't care, then ignore it, simple as that. I'm not trying to force anything, I'm simply making a discussion. If you want to take that as me trying to force it on you, that's your opinion.
I highlighted what Jesus had said because it was relevant to the discussion.
Your comment which I replied to:

Telling children there is a hell is a sin... good job christians... good job :D

Preaching christianity is often like saying:  Here, have some psychological shackles.

I have heard good sermons, and bad sermons.  The good priests don't dare scare children with promises of eternal hell.

19 hours ago, IOI-655321 said:

Here comes the christian. Bet he was born into a christian family amirite.

Indeed, I was. Is there a problem with that?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

40 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

If you don't care, then ignore it, simple as that. I'm not trying to force anything, I'm simply making a discussion. If you want to take that as me trying to force it on you, that's your opinion.
I highlighted what Jesus had said because it was relevant to the discussion.
Your comment which I replied to:

Indeed, I was. Is there a problem with that?

I am not trying to upset you here, so please do not take what I say next in a derogatory way... I am being critical.

You mentioned in this thread that part of your duty is to spread the word of god.  I may have a problem with that, depending on how this is accomplished.

Why assume that select passages from the bible would carry any weight with someone like me?  Why would you assume passages carry any weight with anyone that has not made clear that they have invested time into that book?

I look at the mechanisms of fear you yourself have attempted to promote and wonder why it is effective, and furthermore how is it not considered cruel to use such tactics on younger children that one would hopefully be trying to build a trusting relationship with?

If you tell me something is blasphemous, I will gladly test that theory by saying it.  I will wait for a swift punishment and none will arrive (big discovery /s).  You will then tell me that I will face judgment, not in this moment, but after death.  I will then say that that is intellectually ingenuous and proclaim you have no idea what you are saying.

IDK, I was raised Christian and enjoy the communal aspect of church.  That is about it.  Oh, and we have weekly communion.  That sweet wine and fresh (blessed) bread tastes so good when you have not eaten breakfast... mmmmmm... mmm.

:D

5 hours ago, corrado33 said:

This question is easy to answer.

There simply hasn't been enough time for a society to develop and figure out faster than light travel for us to have seen/met anybody else.

Light travels too slow for us to be able to detect signals from other cultures (yet). 

Life, as we know it, hasn't been around for the 13.8 billion years that the universe has been around. The first few star "cycles", meaning, the first sets of stars that existed, were made mostly light elements, hydrogen, helium, etc. Those start lived and died and produced some heavier elements. (Remember stars run on fusion, they fuse light elements into heavy elements.) The same thing happened again (and again), producing enough heavy elements for life to exist as we know it now. (During that time supernova produced enough of the even heavier elements (heavier than iron) to make life possible as well.) The most common stars have a life expectancy of ~ 5 billion years. Most people say we're on our 3rd to 4th star "cycle" as in now we mostly see 3rd and 4th generation stars. Stars made from the ashes of other stars essentially. 

What this means is that life could only really develop (as we know it) during this last star cycle, so there hasn't been enough TIME for societies across the universe to contact each other or find each other. 

I mean jeeze, Iron is an essential part of the electron transport chain, humans, as we know it, couldn't exist before this third generation of stars. 

Id say, that given the fact that weve basically leapfrogged in the last two hundred years in terms of tech, and are expanding rapidly, that in the next 100-300 years we'll be harvesting asteroids and colonisin our solar system. I would put it ahead of a civilisation half a billion years older than us to be able to travel ftl. They just porbably dont know the we are here.

- snip-

5 hours ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

Life formed almost instantly after the earth cooled and got its water.

this tells me life is extremely common in the universe if it forms so quickly on a cool planet with some water. There are probably of hundreds of thousands if not millions of eart like planets in our galaxy. 

Unless aliens are all as primitive as us or much more advanced and use a communication system we haven't created(tachyon faded system for example) and can't detect then there should be a lot of aliens in the universe.

it would only take one species to colonize the galaxy and it would only take a couple million years at a sub light speed of 1 percent, we can do 10 percent with the Orion drive so even less time than a couple million years.

most likely other parts of space aren't being rendered to as High of a resolution or civilizations are deleted from existence by the creators of the universe after they become too advanced and start using too many resources or start fucking with the laws of physics and ruining their experiment.

Lemme get this straight:

Life formed on the earth as soon as it was cool enough and wet enough for it. Therefore, every single earth like planet must have life. If theres so much life around, why hasnt it colonised the universe? Therefore we're living in a simulation that doesnt have the resources to render the rest of the universe?

I want what he's smoking.

- snip-

2 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Lemme get this straight:

Life formed on the earth as soon as it was cool enough and wet enough for it. Therefore, every single earth like planet must have life. If theres so much life around, why hasnt it colonised the universe? Therefore we're living in a simulation that doesnt have the resources to render the rest of the universe?

I want what he's smoking.

Correct.

that or civilizations are being deleted for using too many resources after they're found out.

4 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

Correct.

that or civilizations are being deleted for using too many resources after they're found out.

Just to be clear, you've got all this time for wild speculation, but no time to post those sources for all this information? 

My (first) build: i7 4790k | Noctua NH-U14S + NF-A15 | Gigabyte Z97X-SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate 2TB SSHD | 2x MSI R9 270X TwinFrozr crossfire | Seasonic G Series 750W 80+ Gold | Asus VX238H 23" | GAMDIAS HERMES | Logitech G602 | Steelseries QcK | Windows 8.1

30 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

Correct.

I... I.cant even. Your argument is based entirely on utterly unproven assumptions... jesus christ.

- snip-

As an Atheist the only thing I'll say in this thread is that religious arguments always go the same way. There are always fanatics and those are the people who are more likely to be attracted to discussions. The most vocal people tend to also be the newest at it because for them it's still new. And that's the impression people will always get. Extremely vocal fanatics who haven't really worked out the finer points of their beliefs yet. When you want to not like a group you will cherry pick the worst bits. 

Combine that with a belief amongst some religious folk that god has a monopoly on beauty? You've got quite an image. It just happens to be a load of BS. Just like pretty much any other stereotype. And that's where these sorts of threads almost always derail. Instead of listening to each other a lot of people would rather argue against the stereotypes. Because it makes you feel better about yourself if you can think the people who disagree with you are loons.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

4 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

I... I.cant even. Your argument is based entirely on utterly unproven assumptions... jesus christ.

He must be smoking the dankest 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

9 hours ago, BadluckBrian said:

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I am Roman Catholic. And I believe in our Nvidia God.

I do prefer that no one makes threads like these even if its off topic, I did and it got out of control. Try not to make threads on religon.

The geek himself.

3 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

I am Roman Catholic. And I believe in our Nvidia God.

I do prefer that no one makes threads like these even if its off topic, I did and it got out of control. Try not to make threads on religon.

We're monitoring the thread.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Good to hear.

The geek himself.

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

It's going well, wouldn't you say?

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

Just now, Natsoup said:

It's going well, wouldn't you say?

So far. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

*This is my personal opinion and does not/should not reflect any beliefs or ideas of the USAF*

I am a man of logic with realistic views and beliefs about the world we live in, but I also believe in the G-d who made this all come to be. Faith is a huge part of my life; science and G-d coincide within myself, but any scientific theory or idea that conflicts with anything G-d said is something that I don't buy into or consider to be factual. Science is ultimately man-made, but it should never be deemed invalid, especially in the current age.

Aspiring IT technician... The AF is getting in the way. Poet and PC enthusiast (of a lower caliber, so-to say) :)

1 minute ago, PCn00b3000 said:

Science is ultimately man-made, but it should never be deemed invalid, especially in the current age.

Science is based on principles that we use in our day-to-day lives. Being skeptical after someone makes a big claim with no evidence, is completely natural, and as far as I'm concerned, is a trait that your deity would've inserted into our thinking minds. 

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Science is based on principles that we use in our day-to-day lives. Being skeptical after someone makes a big claim with no evidence, is completely natural, and as far as I'm concerned, is a trait that your deity would've inserted into our thinking minds. 

Things that I believe will never make sense to anyone who only critically analyses things without also understanding that the religion I practice requires faith and living by it. We as the human race will never have the answers to every possible thing in the world, so perhaps we were never meant to. For things out of our control, we have no choice but to hope and believe those things will work out. For me, there has always been a deity who controls things outside of our reach.

I can't explain it, but I feel peace in knowing that the balance of nature is held in the palm of a perfect being who cares for His creation.

Aspiring IT technician... The AF is getting in the way. Poet and PC enthusiast (of a lower caliber, so-to say) :)

On 1/18/2017 at 5:27 PM, Arty said:

Naw, I don't, I am a man of logic, so if someone proved that thier was a god, then I would "believe" , until then I hold by, that religion was created to falsify hope in people. 

Doesn't the fact that even the idea of there being a God prove the very existence of one?

2 minutes ago, Corbyn Trumbley said:

Doesn't the fact that even the idea of there being a God prove the very existence of one?

If that is only true for the existence of a god but no other claim, then I would say no.