Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

YouTube comments on the LinusTechTips channel are awful.

10 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

The new notification system in youtube is just so bad, and user unfriendly, before you could just open the bell, see the entire comment chain, reply, give thumbs up, watch the video literally do all without even leaving the page you were on, now these new notification are just a over polluted full comment on a small box that if you click redirects you to the video but not to the comment itself, completely worthless... I already wasn't using much the comment section of youtube but now I don't use it at all.

If you go google.com they still have the old interface.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

If you go google.com they still have the old interface.

I know, it feels wrong that I have to go to google so I can reply a comment in Youtube though xD
Oh if only Google would leave Youtube alone and stop screwing with it, since the remove of stars rating system every single update Google done to YouTube in my eyes was trash... every one... no wonder there is so much cancer in it today, it is google's fault in my point of view.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700KF @ 5.0Ghz (5.1Ghz 4-core) |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490 UD |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX @ 2666Mhz CL13 |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone else noticed how the dislike button on youtube comments does literally nothing. A comment could have 50 likes and a thousand dislikes but all you will see is the likes. Really dumb. Would be better if it worked like reddits comment system

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, XenosTech said:

I still don't get why ppl are getting a knot in their panties over some thumbnails... Did you not get relevant info on the product seen in the thumbnail ?

In some cases, no, the thumbnails do not provide relevant information. Luke with a picture of three CPU's floating out of his mouth almost like a vomit of silicon? What the fuck does that have to do with anything? It certainly doesn't give me a sense of the review or even a good view of what the product looks like. CPU's aren't the most exciting, but I would personally prefer a really nice B-Roll close up glory shot of the CPU, close enough so that you can read the CPU part number off the die lid.

 

I do not want to see fake/forced silly faces. If they can capture a true "in the moment" silly face because something unexpected happened while the camera was rolling? Sure, no problem. But most of the new thumbnails feel very insincere and forced. Like someone shouted to Linus right before they snapped the picture "MAKE A POUTY SAD FACE!"

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

In some cases, no, the thumbnails do not provide relevant information. Luke with a picture of three CPU's floating out of his mouth almost like a vomit of silicon? What the fuck does that have to do with anything? It certainly doesn't give me a sense of the review or even a good view of what the product looks like. CPU's aren't the most exciting, but I would personally prefer a really nice B-Roll close up glory shot of the CPU, close enough so that you can read the CPU part number off the die lid.

 

I do not want to see fake/forced silly faces. If they can capture a true "in the moment" silly face because something unexpected happened while the camera was rolling? Sure, no problem. But most of the new thumbnails feel very insincere and forced. Like someone shouted to Linus right before they snapped the picture "MAKE A POUTY SAD FACE!"

The thumbnails were never supposed to give relevant info it's just a place holder much like an icon to your desktop... The videos themselves still contain relevant info to said product in the thumbnail... No matter how stupid of a face they make in their thumbnails as long as the info is relevant and legit to the product it isn't clickbait... So again, I really don't understand why people are getting their undies in a knot.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

The thumbnails were never supposed to give relevant info it's just a place holder much like an icon to your desktop... The videos themselves still contain relevant info to said product in the thumbnail... No matter how stupid of a face they make in their thumbnails as long as the info is relevant and legit to the product it isn't clickbait... So again, I really don't understand why people are getting their undies in a knot.

Quote

The thumbnails were never supposed to give relevant info

I'm going to have to stop you right there. You're wrong. Straight up. If the thumbnail wasn't supposed to provide relevant info, why is it even there? It would be faster and more efficient to simply have the video title as a link instead, if that were the case.

 

The thumbnail is supposed to serve the same function as a News Headline article would:

The title, is of course, equivalent of the headline (That says "City hall burned in arson!"), and

The thumbnail is equivalent to the big front page picture of the burning city hall building

 

The picture gives you a quick, visual aid about the content of the video. It also sets the tone for the video too. If there's a stupid silly thumbnail that looks like it belongs on a Pewdiepie video, then I assume that's what the content will be like.

 

EDIT: There's also a difference between "clickbait" and "not a good thumbnail". I haven't claimed it was clickbait a single time in this thread. I'll wait while you go through my posts to check... done? Yep.

 

So yeah, the thumbnails are bad, not specifically clickbait.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm going to have to stop you right there. You're wrong. Straight up. If the thumbnail wasn't supposed to provide relevant info, why is it even there? It would be faster and more efficient to simply have the video title as a link instead, if that were the case.

 

The thumbnail is supposed to serve the same function as a News Headline article would:

The title, is of course, equivalent of the headline (That says "City hall burned in arson!"), and

The thumbnail is equivalent to the big front page picture of the burning city hall building

 

The picture gives you a quick, visual aid about the content of the video. It also sets the tone for the video too. If there's a stupid silly thumbnail that looks like it belongs on a Pewdiepie video, then I assume that's what the content will be like.

I'm quite curious as to how you're comparing a video thumbnail to a news paper article.... Neither are related to each other and serve 2 different purposes... Sure a newspaper would do that effectively because there's usually a short paragraph of the pic there, you don't get that with a vid thumbnail and the titles are vague 8/10 times but when you actually watch the vid it's all the relevant info you were looking/hoping to get. So I'll keep asking why is everyone getting their underwear in a knot over a thumbnail

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

I'm quite curious as to how you're comparing a video thumbnail to a news paper article.... Neither are related to each other and serve 2 different purposes... Sure a newspaper would do that effectively because there's usually a short paragraph of the pic there, you don't get that with a vid thumbnail and the titles are vague 8/10 times but when you actually watch the vid it's all the relevant info you were looking/hoping to get. So I'll keep asking why is everyone getting their underwear in a knot over a thumbnail

Why do you get your "underwear in a knot" over people disagreeing with your assessment? I don't understand it, personally.

 

You have an opinion. That opinion is "the thumbnails are fine". That's cool! I celebrate that we both live in societies where we can disagree with things, and the person with the unpopular opinion isn't executed on sight.

 

I have an opinion. It's different from yours. I clearly explained in detail why I have my opinion. If you still cannot see why lots of us are displeased with the thumbnails, then I suggest we end this discussion, and request a mod to lock the thread.

 

Otherwise, we can continue to discuss this, and realize that different people may not all share your opinion. In fact, it seems that many disagree with you. I would wager that on the forums, at least, you are probably in the minority with your opinion. But that's just a guess, and I have no data to back it up.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Why do you get your "underwear in a knot" over people disagreeing with your assessment? I don't understand it, personally.

 

You have an opinion. That opinion is "the thumbnails are fine". That's cool! I celebrate that we both live in societies where we can disagree with things, and the person with the unpopular opinion isn't executed on sight.

 

I have an opinion. It's different from yours. I clearly explained in detail why I have my opinion. If you still cannot see why lots of us are displeased with the thumbnails, then I suggest we end this discussion, and request a mod to lock the thread.

 

Otherwise, we can continue to discuss this, and realize that different people may not all share your opinion. In fact, it seems that many disagree with you. I would wager that on the forums, at least, you are probably in the minority with your opinion. But that's just a guess, and I have no data to back it up.

What I'm trying to understand is why people feel that they're entitled to something... I'm pretty sure LMG doesn't put a gun to any of our heads and force us to look at or watch any of their vids and yet people feel the need to tell them to stop or say dumb stuff like I'm subbing from the channel or retort to name calling and being just childish... If you don't like it just move on they'll do as they see fit with their channel and if they start to lose enough ppl they'll change, it's just that simple.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

What I'm trying to understand is why people feel that they're entitled to something... I'm pretty sure LMG doesn't put a gun to any of our heads and force us to look at or watch any of their vids and yet people feel the need to tell them to stop or say dumb stuff like I'm subbing from the channel or retort to name calling and being just childish... If you don't like it just move on they'll do as they see fit with their channel and if they start to lose enough ppl they'll change, it's just that simple.

Entitlement and dissatisfaction are different things. Did you confuse that?

 

You are correct, no one is forcing us to watch LTT videos. However, I do not like the direction they are going in, so I voice that displeasure. Some of their content is still good. That good content does receive a view from me. But I watch less and less videos because of the thumbnails, and other practices (That laptop revival video was an assault on humanity). On the videos I do watch, if the thumbnail was stupid, or the title misleading, I will dislike the video.

 

You have a very black and white attitude to this. There is room for constructive criticism, and for Linus, and team, to see positive criticism and take feedback from it. I do believe they care about their viewers. But I also strongly believe they are a business first and foremost, so they're doing what's good for the business, not necessarily what's good for viewers, or what's good for me.

 

I respect their ability to make those choices. But that DOES NOT mean I just have to sit quietly in the corner. I am allowed, and should be allowed, to politely display my displeasure, what what I think the problems are.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

What I'm trying to understand is why people feel that they're entitled to something... I'm pretty sure LMG doesn't put a gun to any of our heads and force us to look at or watch any of their vids and yet people feel the need to tell them to stop or say dumb stuff like I'm subbing from the channel or retort to name calling and being just childish... If you don't like it just move on they'll do as they see fit with their channel and if they start to lose enough ppl they'll change, it's just that simple.

People don't feel entitled. People dislike seeing something they enjoy become worse.

If your mom made great spaghetti, then one day it tasted really salty. Like if she had dropped the entire salt shaker into the dish. You might think "well maybe she made a mistake" and then finished your dinner anyway.

 

Then you noticed the same terrible taste the next time you got served spaghetti. This time though, you asked her "mom, why is the spaghetti so salty?" and she replied "this is how I will make spaghetti from now on. I don't like it either, but I will keep doing it". Wouldn't you ask her to use less salt?

Would you really think "oh well, I am not entitled to tasty food. I should either eat it or not eat it. There is no sense is voicing my complaint or offer helpful criticism"?

 

In fact, just stop watching is the least helpful thing you can do, because if everyone just stopped watching then they would have no idea WHY people stopped watching. Maybe they would attribute it to the video content being boring? Maybe they would think it is Youtube's changed algorithm? Maybe they would blame their excessive use of ads? There are a billion reasons why someone might dislike their content, so if you don't like some part of it you should voice your opinion so that they get a chance to improve before you leave.

 

 

Here is a quote from Chris Roberts (from one of Linus' videos) that I think people should listen to:

Quote

I don't mind people having negative and positive (opinions) as long as you're constructive in doing it, because it shows investment. So you really care. People care. When they don't like something they go aaahhhh *shakes hands*, "I want this to be fixed", because they care. It's not because they are just being a troll or something.

The people who are saying negative things about Linus' videos (and by negative I mean "I dislike this because X" or "you should do Y instead") are the real fans who dislike seeing their content they enjoy stray away from what they like.

 

Maybe it's because a large amount of users on this forum are very young and can't handle the idea that their idol isn't perfect, but having this "nobody should complain! Just leave if you don't have anything nice to say" attitude is really harmful to everyone. The viewers lose because they don't want to watch the content anymore, and the content creator loses because all of a sudden he/she loses viewers without having any idea why views are dropping, or how to fix it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Edzel if you ever read this.  PLEASE can you just once, only once say "Giggity" on film.

 

 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

 

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

 

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, XenosTech said:

I'm quite curious as to how you're comparing a video thumbnail to a news paper article.... Neither are related to each other and serve 2 different purposes... Sure a newspaper would do that effectively because there's usually a short paragraph of the pic there, you don't get that with a vid thumbnail and the titles are vague 8/10 times but when you actually watch the vid it's all the relevant info you were looking/hoping to get. So I'll keep asking why is everyone getting their underwear in a knot over a thumbnail

yPNPOlo.jpg

 

This image sums up my issue with your post

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

They had a good thing going and threw it all away for more clicks and more ad revenue. 

Business is in business to keep business in business.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2017 at 6:24 PM, LAwLz said:

Be careful there Prysin. Too much salt is bad for the heart.

Haha I think he was a little too salty. The videos are not of such great quality as they used to be but they might be running out of ideas since they upload videos daily. That's a point to consider

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×