4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Last time I was first, Nick and Luke roasted me so hard

i am going a number two :P 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i am going a number two :P 

You missed and got third xD

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

we know how beautiful the face of Linus is, but can we please save that for the CSF videos and add thumbnails, of, I don't know, the actual thing that transpires in the video?

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

I'll fix your cables (seriously), i would have to fly down to do it but i would find it to be fun

Edited by Archeval

17 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

we know how beautiful the face of Linus is, but can we please save that for the CSF videos and add thumbnails, of, I don't know, the actual thing that transpires in the video?

This

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Finally a decent video coming out of LTT. I didn't know about those dual 10 Gbit/1Gbit switches. Super cool.

Also, it's weird to see one of those clappers (the things they use to synchronize audio and video) in an actual finished production (in Linus's back pocket.)

only 2 high speed ports? would it be cheaper to put 10G PCI NICs in the file server?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

6 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

only 2 high speed ports? would it be cheaper to put 10G PCI NICs in the file server?

The product is obviously a consumer level product. Most consumers don't have more than 1 server. Sure, it'd be great to have 10 Gbit between each computer in the network, but that's not really necessary.

The sad thing is that a 10GbE adapter doesn't cost much more to make than a 1GbE adapter, and the steep pricing is just companies price gouging.

1GbE is woefully inadequate for the needs of even a basic PC user, and teaming does not benefit all traffic. 1GbE should have been phased out on all but the most basic computers (e.g., things like netbooks).

1GbE has been obsolete for at least 10 years now, and it is just ridiculous that we are seeing any any mid to high end motherboard ship with 1GbE today.

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

The product is obviously a consumer level product. Most consumers don't have more than 1 server. Sure, it'd be great to have 10 Gbit between each computer in the network, but that's not really necessary.

i was asking about the cost effectiveness of only having 2 10G ports on the unmanaged switch vs filling a server PCI slots with NICs. it looks slightly cheaper to buy NICs.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

6 minutes ago, Razor512 said:

The sad thing is that a 10GbE adapter doesn't cost much more to make than a 1GbE adapter, and the steep pricing is just companies price gouging.

they want their R&D costs and licensing costs. price will remain high until something newer comes along. fibre is still out of my reach

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

43 minutes ago, Razor512 said:

1GbE is woefully inadequate for the needs of even a basic PC user

No, it's not.

If GbE was inadequate for basic users, or the average user, manufacturers would be selling 10GbE at every big box store under the sun for a smaller price.

More issues stem from latency, speed inconsistency, slow upload speeds, poor consumer networking equipment (excluding high end), and the sad state of web browsers, than from throughput.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, shadowbyte said:

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

So does that network switch include PoE?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

No, it's not.

If GbE was inadequate for basic users, or the average user, manufacturers would be selling 10GbE at every big box store under the sun for a smaller price.

More issues stem from latency, speed inconsistency, slow upload speeds, poor consumer networking equipment (excluding high end), and the sad state of web browsers, than from throughput.

Think of it like a PC hardware version of comcast.

1GbE sucks, but instead of putting some real effort into fixing it, the motherboard makers, and router makers, are just looking at us while doing this.

1 minute ago, Razor512 said:

Think of it like a PC hardware version of comcast.

1GbE sucks, but instead of putting some real effort into fixing it, the motherboard makers, and router makers, are just looking at us while doing this.

Not really, 1GbE is still overkill for average users that doesn't have custom/high end NAS solutions, +1GbE internet, or local game servers.

GbE is still more than adequate for the typical user at home.

You might be right 10 years from now, if file sizes grow to require more than GbE to transfer in a timely manner. But that's not now, and by that time, 10GbE will be the standard, GbE will be the budget choice.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Razor512 said:

1GbE is woefully inadequate for the needs of even a basic PC user, and teaming does not benefit all traffic. 1GbE should have been phased out on all but the most basic computers (e.g., things like netbooks)

It really isn't. I'm all for 10Gbps to become cheaper but lets not kid ourselves. Most end users don't have any network storage and aren't transferring files across the network. And at this stage even the ones that do are copying those files between HDDs. And therefore well under 1Gbps. The biggest files they have are probably BluRay rips which are probably 1080p and aren't going to stream at over 100Mbps let alone 1Gbps.

And that person with the NAS and BluRay rips isn't even the average consumer. That person is ahead of the bell curve. The average consumer is more likely streaming videos over WiFi from the internet. They're the sort of people who might stumble across this video and wonder what the point is if it doesn't make the internets or WiFi faster. They probably think that their "1900AC" router actually gives them 1.9Gbps (it doesn't) and makes their 30Mbps internet faster (it doesn't).

Again, I'm excited to see 10Gbps networking slowly become a more mainstream product. When it drops bellow a certain price and I have more than one device that can take advantage of it? I'll be jumping on board. Whether I have an actual need for it or not. But if it was as cheap as 1Gbps is already? You'd have consumers buying them, plugging 100Mbps devices into every port and claiming they notice the difference in speed......

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

5 hours ago, Razor512 said:

1GbE is woefully inadequate for the needs of even a basic PC user, and teaming does not benefit all traffic. 1GbE should have been phased out on all but the most basic computers (e.g., things like netbooks).

1GbE has been obsolete for at least 10 years now, and it is just ridiculous that we are seeing any any mid to high end motherboard ship with 1GbE today.

I forgot that 90% of the world has 1024.01 Mb/s download and upload speeds.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I forgot that 90% of the world has 1024.01 Mb/s download and upload speeds.

Or high end NAS solutions revolving around RAID and/or SSDs.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

How fast of a network would I need to keep up with these drive speeds?

iiryVmo.png