Thinking of upgrading OS

Osmium

So I have been running Windows 7 64 bit for a year or so now and I am perfectly satisfied with it. However Windows 8(.1) is undeniably better for BF4 because of it's support of the new Direct X. However I know it is worse for some other games out there.

So to my understanding Win8 will run upcoming games with the new DX much better than Win7. However with Mantle around the corner DX may be on it's way out(I don't think so but it is a possibility).

So I am asking others for their personal opinions. Some might see things one way or others another (or not if I am missing some key bit of information).

Is it worth the money to "upgrade"?

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

DX 11.2 is windows 8.1 only. so you wont see it on Windows 7

If you play a lot of BF4 then yeah it will be worth your time swapping over, I hope mantle does well but i doubt it will replace  DirectX as Microsoft wont allow it. 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

So I have been running Windows 7 64 bit for a year or so now and I am perfectly satisfied with it. However Windows 8(.1) is undeniably better for BF4 because of it's support of the new Direct X. However I know it is worse for some other games out there.

So to my understanding Win8 will run upcoming games with the new DX much better than Win7. However with Mantle around the corner DX may be on it's way out(I don't think so but it is a possibility).

So I am asking others for their personal opinions. Some might see things one way or others another (or not if I am missing some key bit of information).

Is it worth the money to "upgrade"?

Up graded to windows 8.1 last week and not looked back, however because I have mutable monitors the metro interface is actually really good as it only come us on one screen so its like a really cool start menu now....

Also not had one single crash blue screen, all my adobe software is running better so its all good so far, slightly impressed...

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

Also about how hard to get used to is Win8?

From XP to 7 for me I hardly noticed. 8.1 supposedly gives it more of a windows feel but Id like to hear someone's thoughts.

In my opinion no, but then again you are named after an element whose name means "smelly" in Greek so...

In my opinion no, but then again you are named after an element whose name means "smelly" in Greek so...

...Care to elaborate why not?

And it means smell for the record.

I don't think it is worth 80-100 bucks for slight FPS increase, and mantle will hopefully help at least for BF4. I would personally use the money for upgrading my rig and not OS.

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

I agree with you, here, but maybe if he's got cash sitting around, why not dual boot both of the OS's? also you sig is the greatest thing I've ever seen ever.

Thanks, I worked on it for a while. Probably will add more. :D

Dual booting would be cool, but I don't see the point of two windows unless you have apps that need different versions of windows. Plus he would also need another boot drive or to partition his existing drive. If he has the cash though then go ahead.

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

Yeah you are right.

I kind of figured though since the money for an OS won't buy anything to upgrade with without saving up more money I may as well go for it. I've been talked out of Win 8 I guess.

...Care to elaborate why not?

And it means smell for the record.

Well because I don't see it worth the cost for the tiny fps increase - especially if you have an AMD GPU and will therefore be utilising Mantle instead of DirectX. The differences between DirectX 11 and 11.2 aren't really that huge anyway. If I was going to move to Windows 8, it wouldn't be for DirectX 11.2, it'd be for SMB 3.0. However, the UI being as terrible as it is, I'd probably be more inclined to move to Server 2012 as my desktop OS instead.

and yes "osme" means "to smell". Osmium was given this name because it is smelly, ergo its name refers to the fact it smells funny.