What ultrawide monitor to buy? Advise wanted

TheGuyNL

Hey there guys,

Currently I am looking at buying a new ultrawide monitor for the better work and gaming experience. But I am not really sure what to go for, that's why I ask you guys for help.

So I am having trouble choosing between 1080p and 1440p, I have a GTX970 which should be able to run both of those fine, though the 1440p one will require lower quality settings.

Then, when choosing the monitor itself, it is also difficult. So many different screens, a lot have issues with background bleeding or just bad QC.

So guys, can you give me some directions? What to look out for, which are good and which are bad? 

Thanks!

// TODO: Update signature to include PC buid.

The dell u3417w has no reported issues with QC nor BL bleed. Speaking from experience here, dell's are typically the best with regards to quality control. In fact, besides being factory calibrated out of the box, that's one of their main selling points.

You should note; the u3415w (older model with a shallower curve) had some reported issues with glow around the edges. That has since been fixed the their latest model though.

I can't speak for LG panels. Also, whether people would like to admit or not: ASUS is well known for having poor QC standards.

Edited by eLucid

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

18 minutes ago, eLucid said:

The dell u3417w has no reported issues with QC nor BL bleed. Speaking from experience here, dell's are typically the best with regards to quality control. In fact, besides being factory calibrated out of the box, that's one of their main selling points.

You should note; the u3415w (older model with a shallower curve) had some reported issues with glow around the edges. That has since been fixed the their latest model though.

I can't speak for LG panels. Also, whether people would like to admit or not: ASUS is well known for having poor QC standards.

Thanks for your reply! I have been looking at the u3415w and read about the background bleed. I was unaware of the newer model (17w) but it looks like that is a monitor that matches my requirements.

// TODO: Update signature to include PC buid.

No problem, mate. It's an excellent choice.

Enjoy it!

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8