Data back-up solution

Randy R

I'm reaching out for suggestions for cheap data backup.
So I have a 12 bay server, of which I have about 12-14 TB currently that I would like backed up somehow.

I have a 6 TB raid1 array. But I'm not convinced about raid1 as a permanent solution, as I recently lost a raid1 array in another server (both ssd drives failed at the same time)

The other drives and 7-8tb are unprotected. I also lost a 3tb seagate drive, died in the middle of a file transfer - Read heads appear damaged. 

I have about 300gb backed up on amazon glacier, some of my most precious files, the price isn't that good. 

I'd like to use one of those monthly fee backup your computer sites, like backblaze or crashplan.

The issue with this is that, although I live in a large city in the US, our internet speeds are third world. Nevermind, the third world has gbit internet, maby we're 4th world? whatever, 220-280 days of uploading 24/7 for me to backup. So this solution is a no-go.

I need other options, I don't know what is the best besides keeping offline copies on more hard drives or optical media. Not an ideal solution.

Appreciate any other ideas.

How about something onsite, but ridiculously tough like an IOsafe?

You won't have the advantage of offsite backups, but it's a onetime fee, and you don't have to trust someone else with your data.

Oh, and your internet could be worse....You could be Australian.

3 minutes ago, cncr04s said:

I'm reaching out for suggestions for cheap data backup.
So I have a 12 bay server, of which I have about 12-14 TB currently that I would like backed up somehow.

I have a 6 TB raid1 array. But I'm not convinced about raid1 as a permanent solution, as I recently lost a raid1 array in another server (both ssd drives failed at the same time)

The other drives and 7-8tb are unprotected. I also lost a 3tb seagate drive, died in the middle of a file transfer - Read heads appear damaged. 

I have about 300gb backed up on amazon glacier, some of my most precious files, the price isn't that good. 

I'd like to use one of those monthly fee backup your computer sites, like backblaze or crashplan.

The issue with this is that, although I live in a large city in the US, our internet speeds are third world. Nevermind, the third world has gbit internet, maby we're 4th world? whatever, 220-280 days of uploading 24/7 for me to backup. So this solution is a no-go.

I need other options, I don't know what is the best besides keeping offline copies on more hard drives or optical media. Not an ideal solution.

Appreciate any other ideas.

im sorry but i dont have a serious answer but what about the ancient mystical thing called DvD's? Tape drives? floppy disks?

First PC Build

CPU: i5 4690k  (4.7Ghz 1.36v)                                        MOBO: MSI z97 gaming 5

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 gaming x                  Case: NZXT s340 elite Black/Red

Storage: 1tb seagate SSHD, 240gb PNY ssd                    PSU: Corsair RM750X

Cooling:H100i V2 / Bequiet Fans

16GB Hyper X Fury Memory

Benched on CPUZ (Single-thread=2140) (Multi-Thread=8316)

Fire Strike 1.1=13660

Time Spy=5519

Cinebench R15 (CPU= 509cb) (OpenGL=118.28 FPS)

Unigine (Superposition 4k optimized=5581) (Heaven Extreme=120.6 FPS Score:3038) (Valley Extreme HD= 92.7 FPS Score:3879)

you dont have any offline storage?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

you dont have any offline storage?

I used to backup on dvd's but that was when 1TB was a huge amount of data.

I don't have any good solution at the moment.

Amazon Cloud Drive lol, i have heard people having uploaded over 12TB+ of of files without issues, I can't upload over 4GB file prob b/c my internet sucks, it gets to 100% and then restarts multiple times so it can take a day or 2 to successfully upload , but others seemed to be able to upload TB's of data. only 60.00 a mo would be very inexpensive

My PCPartPicker - 1st Build

5 minutes ago, cncr04s said:

I used to backup on dvd's but that was when 1TB was a huge amount of data.

I don't have any good solution at the moment.

tape drives are still around. theres also hot swap bays.

Buy two drives and rotate them offsite everyday. It will keep you safe from fire and theft too.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, Bradl79 said:

Amazon Cloud Drive lol, i have heard people having uploaded over 12TB+ of of files without issues, I can't upload over 4GB file prob b/c my internet sucks, it gets to 100% and then restarts multiple times so it can take a day or 2 to successfully upload , but others seemed to be able to upload TB's of data. only 60.00 a mo would be very inexpensive

Yea, but it would take a whole year to finish uploading. my internet sucks, they don't offer any faster speeds.

2 minutes ago, cncr04s said:

Yea, but it would take a whole year to finish uploading. my internet sucks, they don't offer any faster speeds.

yeah i agree, i only get 1.5MBps so it pisses me off when i try to upload larger than 4GB files and it resets, i thought maybe u would have fiber

My PCPartPicker - 1st Build

6 minutes ago, cncr04s said:

tapes. Get them used and there cheap

But tape drive writers cost about as much as 10 6tb drives.
Or at least I haven't been able to find a reasonably priced one.