Using an HDTV as a monitor?...

dave4shmups

I'm just wondering how well this would work for PC gaming.  I don't know if there are HDTVs with a one millisecond response time, for example.

the response time is terrible. Also getting it to scale to the tv correctly may be difficult

Depends on the TV for the latency. Many of them have a "game mode" which will lower the latency significantly at the cost of color accuracy and such.

The main issue I've heard of is input lag and latency. There is also the fact that many TVs don't support the same color compression and might cause an issue with the readability of text. Just make sure the TV supports Chroma 4:4:4 instead of the standard 4:2:0 found on many TVs.

depends on the response time, anything high then 10 is a bad judgment call.

The geek himself.

12 minutes ago, masterkickass7 said:

the response time is terrible. Also getting it to scale to the tv correctly may be difficult

5 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

depends on the response time, anything high then 10 is a bad judgment call.

Recent tvs from the past few years have input lag below 20ms which is as good as regular non-gaming marketed monitors.

Playing games on them is perfectly fine, you just don't get the advantage of a super fast 144hz 1ms monitor would give you.

http://ca.rtings.com/

https://displaylag.com/display-database/

I would recommend a samsung tv, those have some of the lowest input lag and work great when connected to PCs.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

IMO if you're not a competitive gamer then they're fine. If you can't detect the latency when you move your mouse then it probably isn't going to affect your user experience.

Personally I have a thing for sony TV's in this application because they're compatible with almost anything.

1 hour ago, ShepBook said:

The main issue I've heard of is input lag and latency. There is also the fact that many TVs don't support the same color compression and might cause an issue with the readability of text. Just make sure the TV supports Chroma 4:4:4 instead of the standard 4:2:0 found on many TVs.

I have no idea why you aren't suggesting that one just output RGB to the TV instead of YCbCr. o.O