BBC to set up team to debunk 'fake news' stories

You can't stop it from happening. The best you can do is to educate viewers on why a fake news story is fake (Eg: provide evidence that disproves the subject, or clarify misleading titles/statements, etc).

CBC has been doing this lately too. They just released an article with a "quiz" that featured 10 random news story titles, half of which were real and half were fake news.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I do find it terribly ironic that news companies doing this also publish news that tends to be less than 50% true. 

Interesting video on this: 

Worth mentioning that this video was uploaded before CNN lost credibility during the election. 

Only reasonable way to address fake news honestly, you don't ban it. You disprove it.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

21 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Great stuff. I have a suggestion BBC: Start with some of the ones you've published, like anything involving the gender pay gap.

Read this not gonna have a discussion about it here, but if you don't believe there is a pay gap then.. yeah 

I love seeing these topics on LTT and the cancerous political discussions that result from it. Really brightens my day.

7 hours ago, Wolther said:

Read this not gonna have a discussion about it here, but if you don't believe there is a pay gap then.. yeah 

Gender wage gap (in this context) is a myth, don't meme yourself.
This is called an EARNINGS GAP, women don't EARN as much as men.
It's not women not being paid the same wage for the same qualifications, work, hours, etc.

8 hours ago, CoeGunnell said:

BBC to set up team to debunk 'fake news' stories

What are people's thoughts on the BBC trying to stop all the fake news on the internet?

>>> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/bbc-team-debunk-fake-news-stories-media-james-harding-a7525686.html?cmpid=facebook-post

Listen lad, if the BBC can stop Sara Jay and Lisa Ann in their tracks then i have full faith that the BBC can stop fake news, can ya dig it?

On the real, i don't have any faith in any organization stopping "fake news".

Especially organizations where fake news comes from *cough* FACEBOOK *cough* CNN *cough* BUZZFEED *cough* SALON *Cough*

I have chronic bronchitis, no bully pls

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Why though? Trump is an expert on the news. Just ask him. That's why he refused questions from CNN and took them from Breitbart.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

15 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Why though? Trump is an expert on the news. Just ask him. That's why he refused questions from CNN and took them from Breitbart.

lmao you don't have to be an expert to understand that CNN's fake news

3 minutes ago, Memories4K said:

lmao you don't have to be an expert to understand that CNN's fake news

CNN has a corporate bias and tells half truths to protect their corporate interests. They're useless for keeping yourself totally informed about everything that's going on in the U.S. and around the world. At worst, I've seen them jump the gun and report something that didn't happen because they wanted to get the story 1st, but everytime, they've recanted. I'm a Bernie supporter, so I know how useless they were in fairly reporting on him. However, CNN doesn't purposely make stories up. That is my definition of fake news. Making shit up. Even if CNN did make shit up, Trump then taking questions from Breitbart is a fucking joke.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

CNN has a corporate bias and tells half truths to protect their corporate interests. They're useless for keeping yourself totally informed about everything that's going on in the U.S. and around the world. At worst, I've seen them jump the gun and report something that didn't happen because they wanted to get the story 1st, but everytime, they've recanted. I'm a Bernie supporter, so I know how useless they were in fairly reporting on him. However, CNN doesn't purposely make stories up. That is my definition of fake news. Making shit up. Even if CNN did make shit up, Trump then taking questions from Breitbart is a fucking joke.

Last time i checked breitbart doesn't go around spreading 4chan fanfictions as news

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Last time i checked breitbart doesn't go around spreading 4chan fanfictions as news

Why does Breitbart need fanfiction when they create their own?

48 minutes ago, Memories4K said:

Gender wage gap (in this context) is a myth, don't meme yourself.
This is called an EARNINGS GAP, women don't EARN as much as men.
It's not women not being paid the same wage for the same qualifications, work, hours, etc.

Wth does "meme yourself" even mean? There are many cases where a woman may do better quality work than a man, but the man may be paid more than that woman. 

In related news, the veritas group just got caught on camera (audio/video) trying to offer a potential "agent" $500K to organize a disruption at the inaugural for Trump.  Got to give the internet trolls more to work with.

This veritas group is responsible for the highly edited videos that brought down A.C.O.R.N and misrepresented Planned Parenthood's abortion services.  There are other things they have done as well.

First source I could find:  http://www.inquisitr.com/3872373/trump-inauguration-sting-operation-conservative-group-caught-trying-to-pay-liberals-to-riot/

10 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

However, CNN doesn't purposely make stories up. That is my definition of fake news. Making shit up. 

HAHAHAHAHA bruh
someone link all those videos of CNN getting caught making shit up

No but that's fine, i'm not protecting Breitbart of all people so much as bagging on CNN for losing literally all credibility that alternative media has actually gained credibility.

And now we're on to the wage gap. Nice. Good to see some discussions of women's rights among ill informed political arguments.

3 minutes ago, Memories4K said:

HAHAHAHAHA bruh
someone link all those videos of CNN getting caught making shit up

No but that's fine, i'm not protecting Breitbart of all people so much as bagging on CNN for losing literally all credibility that alternative media has actually gained credibility.

I don't watch CNN at all so most of the stuff I find out about them is on YouTube when they do something extraordinarily stupid. I'm still pretty sure they recant most of them time. If they don't, I don't really care. That's their problem. I'm not trying to protect them. I'm just saying Trump is a clown for what he did at that press conference.

14 minutes ago, Wolther said:

Wth does "meme yourself" even mean? There are many cases where a woman may do better quality work than a man, but the man may be paid more than that woman. 

It's a colloquial phrase, it's meaning is plainly "Do not do anything that would hurt yourself or confidence in yourself"

Yes, it's called negotiating a salary by marketing yourself based on your own value. The man could have more years in a company, better qualifications, be more prone to ask for raises (something we already know men do more of), live in a higher-cost area, there are extraneous variables you need to account for. There are many cases where women get paid the same, if not more, despite men providing a higher quality service, does that automatically mean men are objectively paid less for being men?

10 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

I don't watch CNN at all so most of the stuff I find out about them is on YouTube when they do something extraordinarily stupid. I'm still pretty sure they recant most of them time. If they don't, I don't really care. That's their problem. I'm not trying to protect them. I'm just saying Trump is a clown for what he did at that press conference.

CNN got exactly what they deserved. The only clown at the press conference was Jeff Acosta. 

3 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

CNN got exactly what they deserved. The only clown at the press conference was Jeff Acosta. 

I've already said before I don't give a shit about CNN. What about BreitBart?

38 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Again, yes, younger women (IN TOTAL) make more money than younger men do (IN TOTAL) but just like the overall gender wage gap, this is an earnings gap and men are not being paid less and/or hired less because of their gender.