Can I tape a hard drive to my case?

Sparkling Soap

I need to remove my hard drive case to fit my GPU. Where should I put my hard drive? Should I tape it down to the bottom of the case with the plastic tray holder it's usually in? Or maybe tape it inside the optical drive holder?

What kind of tape to use?

2 minutes ago, Sparkling Soap said:

I need to remove my hard drive case to fit my GPU. Where should I put my hard drive? Should I tape it down to the bottom of the case with the plastic tray holder it's usually in? Or maybe tape it inside the optical drive holder?

is it a mechanical drive or a ssd?

I lurk a lot

8 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

What do you think, mate?

yes but somepeople mix up there termanology and just call all of them hard drives no need to be so patronising when im only asking a simple question 

I lurk a lot

i taped a drive in a laptop using sports tape. did not move the laptop much but the drive connectors got loose after about a year

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

21 minutes ago, Sparkling Soap said:

I usually use automotive double sided tape (the shit you hold fender flares and crap on with).

in the cage is fine as long as nothing on the bottom of the drive is going to short, so make sure nothings poling out.

I've also taped drives vertically on rear panels, just make sure its level and on a right angle. Tick foamy tape is also better for vibration dampening when doing this.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

tape seems like a good idea. Mabey the stuff GOPRO uses since it seems to be fairly strong

Use a double sided velcro strip so its easy to remove later.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

Should be fine using thick high-quality double-sided tape, and clean the surface of the case and drive housing with rubbing alcohol.

Could use the push-lock command strips as well.

This is all obviously assuming you minimize cable strain, and make sure nothing is going to short and let the smoke out.  Also be sure you don't tape over any of the vent holes on the drive.

Drive seeks are probably going to be pretty noisy if it's taped right to the inside of the case.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

On 1/12/2017 at 5:27 AM, peej said:

is it a mechanical drive or a ssd?

On 1/12/2017 at 5:32 AM, Lacrimas said:

What do you think, mate?

It's a legitimate question. As @peej mentioned, LOTS of people on LTT forums mix of the terms, or colloquially call all "local storage" "hard drives". That includes referring to SSD's as hard drives. In this context, it's incredibly important to know if they actually mean a hard disk drive, or if they meant SSD by mistake.

@Sparkling Soap, if you're running an SSD, using tape is totally fine. However, if you're using an actual hard drive (mechanical), I'd highly advise against it. The drive wouldn't be very secure, and could eventually separate itself due to the constant vibrations wearing out the tape. Plus, it could impact performance and/or longevity of the hard drive, due to excess vibrations.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 2017-01-14 at 7:56 PM, Lacrimas said:

A little bit late to the party, aren't we? He probably already taped the damn thing.

Possibly. But I have no idea about his time frame. I surely hope he didn't. You can, but why risk cutting the life short on your drive?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)