Facebook to make The News "Great Again"

Ugh. I have nothing clever or witty to say about this. I'm just horrified.

Facebook wants to help journalism thrive, and it has a plan.

Facebook on Wednesday announced "the Facebook Journalism Project," a new initiative that will include more collaboration with media outlets, new tools and training for journalists, as well as education efforts for the general public.

As part of the announcement, Facebook confirmed previous reports that it is bringing ad breaks to its videos, a potentially lucrative move for publishers and for Facebook. 

"We know that our community values sharing and discussing ideas and news, and as a part of our service, we care a great deal about making sure that a healthy news ecosystem and journalism can thrive," wrote Fidji Simo, a director of product at Facebook, in a blog post announcing the program. "That’s why today we’re announcing a new program to establish stronger ties between Facebook and the news industry."

So, from what I understand, they're going to be combating fake news, by further entangling themselves with the industry creating the fake news. Namely the "mainstream media" (Fox news, CNN, MSNBC, WAPO, NYT, HuffPo etc).

Not sure how that works in any sane manner. But I do believe that it will likely have horrible results, for everyone.

The initiative announcement is divided into three parts: collaboration, tools/education for journalists and tools/education for the public. 

In collaboration, Facebook noted that it has heard publishers want to package stories together. Though light on details, the initial idea sounds something like a digital magazine or newspaper disseminated through Facebook.

"Publishers simply choose the articles and a cover image or video to package together in a set of Instant Articles," wrote Facebook product manager Josh Roberts in a blog post about the new magazine-like format

Facebook published the image below as an example of what multiple stories from one publisher could look like.

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F344746%2Ff4e109d7-0787-4c5f-88a7-b98e7580f31f.jpg

Seems like they're going to make the news even more dumbed down that it already is.

As for tools and education for journalists, Facebook will be introducing a "certificate curriculum" in partnership with the Poynter Institute for Media Studies for journalists that complete its courses on how to best use Facebook.

Facebook will also be making CrowdTangle, the Facebook audience tracking startup that it recently bought, free for publishing partners.

As for the broader public, Facebook will be working with outside organizations "on how to better understand and to promote news literacy both on and off our platform to help people in our community have the information they need to make decisions about which sources to trust."

To that end, Facebook said it is working with Arizona State University to figure out how to support this goal, as well as working with the News Literacy Project to make public service ads on the issue.

Lastly, Facebook said it will continue efforts to "reduce the spread of news hoaxes — including ways for people to report them more easily and new efforts to disrupt the financial incentives for spammers."

Source: http://mashable.com/2017/01/11/facebook-make-journalism-great-again/?utm_cid=hp-hh-pri#eT1oNAnNwmq4

What I find sickening about this, is that they're going to be partnering with the same people who are creating fake news and false narratives. The same people who are still trying to push the idea that Russia was behind the hacks on the DNC. They continue to present this "intelligence community report" that literally provides ZERO. EVIDENCE. And only assertions. Mainly the report says "We think Russia did it. Trust us.".

And yet......they want to combat fake news. Well here's an idea. I know it sounds crazy, but maybe, just maybe....

STOP MAKING FAKE NEWS?!

I don't have a head-desk or facepalm gif strong enough for what the media is doing right now. We need to just call shenanigans, get our brooms, and start hitting people until they stop.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Makes me wonder how they would go about the top trending conflicting news articles on Google News right now.

Why do I feel like the conflicting articles between NBC and CNN isn't something they would waste any time on?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

8 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

What I find sickening about this, is that they're going to be partnering with the same people who are creating fake news and false narratives. The same people who are still trying to push the idea that Russia was behind the hacks on the DNC. They continue to present this "intelligence community report" that literally provides ZERO. EVIDENCE. And only assertions. Mainly the report says "We think Russia did it. Trust us.".

Okay, you can question the validity of the source, but if there is a source then it's not "fake news." The CIA, FBI, and NSA are sources, and the fact that the CIA, FBI, and/or NSA are making an allegation is just plain news.

The phrase 'fake news' as it has entered our vocabulary in the last couple of months is in reference to stories that are literally works of original fiction written by the same organization that is reporting it. It is not fiction that our intelligence services believe the Russian government was behind the hacks on the DNC. It's a relevant thing that's happening, regardless of your or my personal political feelings on the matter, and so the media is reporting on it.

Mainstream Media is only there to distract the public from the important issues.  That´s why I sold my TV years ago and blocked all mainstream media webpages on my PC.

So dont worry guys it´s the same shit everywhere not only in the US. I speak for Germany.

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

Mainstream Media is only there to distract the public from the important issues.  That´s why I sold my TV years ago and blocked all mainstream media webpages on my PC.

So dont worry guys it´s the same shit everywhere not only in the US. I speak for Germany.

I'm still transitioning, I've finally split from Facbook and Twitter and cable TV but find myself delving into google news every time I'm bored at work.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

20 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I'm still transitioning, I've finally split from Facbook and Twitter and cable TV but find myself delving into google news every time I'm bored at work.

I downloaded a browser addon for this purpose which blocks certain sites instantly.

58 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Ugh. I have nothing clever or witty to say about this. I'm just horrified.

So, from what I understand, they're going to be combating fake news, by further entangling themselves with the industry creating the fake news. Namely the "mainstream media" (Fox news, CNN, MSNBC, WAPO, NYT, HuffPo etc).

Not sure how that works in any sane manner. But I do believe that it will likely have horrible results, for everyone.

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F344746%2Ff4e109d7-0787-4c5f-88a7-b98e7580f31f.jpg

Seems like they're going to make the news even more dumbed down that it already is.

Source: http://mashable.com/2017/01/11/facebook-make-journalism-great-again/?utm_cid=hp-hh-pri#eT1oNAnNwmq4

And yet......they want to combat fake news. Well here's an idea. I know it sounds crazy, but maybe, just maybe....

STOP MAKING FAKE NEWS?!

I don't have a head-desk or facepalm gif strong enough for what the media is doing right now. We need to just call shenanigans, get our brooms, and start hitting people until they stop.

When the CIA and other US intelligence release reports that they believe that Russia is hacking the election, it is newsworthy, and it is not biased fro news outlets to report this. If it had been baseless, and if US intelligence had not released such allegations, I would agree with you. Heck, even Trump said "Russia probably did it" about the hacking.

http://pcworld.com/article/3156770/security/trump-it-was-probably-russia-that-hacked-the-dnc-clinton-campaign.html

Let me be clear, I am not pro-Trump, pro-Clinton or anything like that, I'm just saying that we have to accept information that comes from the government as being newsworthy, even if we may not like it.

i5-6600K @ 4.5 GHz |I| Hyper 212 EVO |I| ASUS STRIX Z270E |I| 8 GB DDR4 HyperX FURY
GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6GB @ 2088 MHz
DEEPCOOL TESSERACT WH |I| EVGA 500 W1 80+
1TB 7200rpm HDD |I| 120GB SSD
GN246HL 144Hz 1080p

Corsair K70 LUX RGB |I| Corsair M65 Pro RGB
PCPP: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/DHzYcf

29 minutes ago, typographie said:

Okay, you can question the validity of the source, but if there is a source then it's not "fake news." The CIA, FBI, and NSA are sources, and the fact that the CIA, FBI, and/or NSA are making an allegation is just plain news.

I am curious why you think these agencies don't have their own agendas?  Why you think they wouldn't make shit up?  The CIA and FBI have had numerous documented cases of straight up lying to the public.  The whole drug war was known to be false, created to suppress "others".  The CIA has repeatedly toppled governments and exploited the American people for the gain of the organization and those within it.  And the NSA will do whatever it wants since it apparently answers to no one.

I am not saying the report is false, or that Russia wouldn't try to meddle.  I am saying that the organizations you are holding up as infallible have repeated shown their insane level of fallibility.  Without evidence, you may as well just say "We have always been at war with EastAsia".  No one should accept any claims, from either side, without evidence.  If they aren't willing to show the evidence, then it isn't valuable enough for them to care.

And they have allegedly had this kind of evidence for months.  Why only suddenly bring it out?  Trump is not clean by any stretch of the imagination, but if you go at him with half truths or made up shit, it makes it that much easier from him to brush off the real stuff.  Crying wolf and all that.

58 minutes ago, typographie said:

The phrase 'fake news' as it has entered our vocabulary in the last couple of months is in reference to stories that are literally works of original fiction written by the same organization that is reporting it. It is not fiction that our intelligence services believe the Russian government was behind the hacks on the DNC. It's a relevant thing that's happening, regardless of your or my personal political feelings on the matter, and so the media is reporting on it.

26 minutes ago, NuclearKing said:

When the CIA and other US intelligence release reports that they believe that Russia is hacking the election, it is newsworthy, and it is not biased fro news outlets to report this. If it had been baseless, and if US intelligence had not released such allegations, I would agree with you. Heck, even Trump said "Russia probably did it" about the hacking.

http://pcworld.com/article/3156770/security/trump-it-was-probably-russia-that-hacked-the-dnc-clinton-campaign.html

Let me be clear, I am not pro-Trump, pro-Clinton or anything like that, I'm just saying that we have to accept information that comes from the government as being newsworthy, even if we may not like it.

The issue isn't that they are reporting it, it's that they don't question the complete and utter lack of evidence involving said report. They don't even mention it. They barely report it as an "Allegation".

I wouldn't mind them reporting it, if they also included the following comment:

"While these allegations are very serious, it is important to note that the intelligence community has not, at this point, provided any credible or tangible evidence to substantiate their claims, furthermore, the DNC has not refuted any of the information released as a result of the hacking that did occur".

26 minutes ago, ChineseChef said:

I am curious why you think these agencies don't have their own agendas?  Why you think they wouldn't make shit up?  The CIA and FBI have had numerous documented cases of straight up lying to the public.  The whole drug war was known to be false, created to suppress "others".  The CIA has repeatedly toppled governments and exploited the American people for the gain of the organization and those within it.  And the NSA will do whatever it wants since it apparently answers to no one.

I am not saying the report is false, or that Russia wouldn't try to meddle.  I am saying that the organizations you are holding up as infallible have repeated shown their insane level of fallibility.  Without evidence, you may as well just say "We have always been at war with EastAsia".  No one should accept any claims, from either side, without evidence.  If they aren't willing to show the evidence, then it isn't valuable enough for them to care.

And they have allegedly had this kind of evidence for months.  Why only suddenly bring it out?  Trump is not clean by any stretch of the imagination, but if you go at him with half truths or made up shit, it makes it that much easier from him to brush off the real stuff.  Crying wolf and all that.

This is my point. The media reports this shit as though it were fact, or at best, reports it without context that these agencies are BEYOND UNTRUSTWORTHY.

While also failing to point out that NO EVIDENCE WHAT-SO-EVER has been produced to back up their "allegations".

32 minutes ago, ChineseChef said:

I am curious why you think these agencies don't have their own agendas?  Why you think they wouldn't make shit up?  The CIA and FBI have had numerous documented cases of straight up lying to the public.

I said nothing in my post about my personal feelings about the report. That's beside the point. Said intelligence services are making an allegation and that is newsworthy. If anything, their history makes it that much more important that the press pays attention to what they say.

10 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

The issue isn't that they are reporting it, it's that they don't question the complete and utter lack of evidence involving said report. They don't even mention it. They barely report it as an "Allegation".

I wouldn't mind them reporting it, if they also included the following comment:

"While these allegations are very serious, it is important to note that the intelligence community has not, at this point, provided any credible or tangible evidence to substantiate their claims, furthermore, the DNC has not refuted any of the information released as a result of the hacking that did occur".

I'm not sure what evidence you're expecting, honestly. That's the sort of thing they would share with the chief executive, members of certain congressional committees, and other intelligence services. Even if they have evidence, they're not going to show you or I, and it's not like we could do anything with that information anyway.

10 minutes ago, typographie said:

I said nothing in my post about my personal feelings about the report. That's beside the point. Said intelligence services are making an allegation and that is newsworthy. If anything, their history makes it that much more important that the press pays attention to what they say.

I'm not sure what evidence you're expecting, honestly. That's the sort of thing they would share with the chief executive, members of certain congressional committees, and other intelligence services. Even if they have evidence, they're not going to show you or I, and it's not like we could do anything with that information anyway.

I'm a citizen, I demand evidence for allegations that a foreign power tampered with our election process in some way. Those are extremely serious allegations.

You don't get the benefit of a doubt when you have a long and sordid history of outright lying, and worse. Either provide proof, or be called a liar when you cannot or will not produce said proof.

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

This is my point. The media reports this shit as though it were fact, or at best, reports it without context that these agencies are BEYOND UNTRUSTWORTHY.

While also failing to point out that NO EVIDENCE WHAT-SO-EVER has been produced to back up their "allegations".

That's what initially set me off and looking back at the timeline it's even more ridiculous

Headlines 

Day 1 : FBI Official believes Russian State may be involved in DNC hacking

Day 2 : Vladimir Putin Personally Involved in Russian Hack

Day 3 : CIA and NSA officials agree it was a Russian Hack

Day 4 : All articles discussing different things, but mentioning Russian Hack as fact

Day 5 : FBI Releases report detailing Proof of Russian Hack

Day 6 : Obama deports all Russian intelligence officials over Russian Hack

Day 7 : Trump concedes it was a Russian Hack 

Right before our eyes with no evidence the news turned nothing into accepted fact.

It was the so-called main stream news media that coined the term "fake news" and then proceeded to put out one piece of false propaganda after another.

News used to be real, factual, verifiable information provided without spin or narrative.  Not saying muckrakers didn't exist, but they didn't pretend to be objective and weren't considered "main stream".  Now it's basically putting one monkey up against another, letting them sling sh!t, and calling it newsworthy because "a monkey did it".  Television "News" is unwatchable because of this format.  Published media is bad because it's basically bought and paid for (most of the papers aren't making money their from subscriptions).

Does Facebook produce better, innovative products and services or are they just using leverage, money, and possibly political power to take over as many aspects of peoples' lives as they can?

28 minutes ago, typographie said:

What about the 13 page FBI report detailing the incident that states they know it is the Kremlin because they used methods similar to a previous attack tied to Russia?

There's only two possibilities and both of them involve the CIA and media lying.

11 minutes ago, Prysin said:

its hard to close the door when a stack of money is blocking the door.

I wish I had that problem.

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Frankly, I'm shocked they didn't shut Fox News out.

34 minutes ago, Prysin said:

its hard to close the door when a stack of money is blocking the door.

Besides the money, think of what it would look like if Team Red got only their big news teams blocked.  Imagine the headlines Team Red could run with.  "Liberal Media Supports Cencorship"  "Facebook Doesn't Think You Should Be Allowed To Think!!"  Fox News and the other big guys would go insane, and practically foam and the mouth for such a situation.  Because once you censor someone, you essentially concede they are right (whether they are or not), and make what they say/said that much more important.

Another one hot off the press

Headlines

Trump concedes Russia behind election interference

Trump admits Russia was behind election hacking, then backtracks

'It Was Russia': Trump Admits Russia Meddled In 2016 Election

Trump admits to Russian hacking even as he attacks U.S. intelligence community

"As far as hacking I think it was Russia, but we get hacked by other countries, other people."

FaceBook and Real News in the same sentence ... ROFLMAO  never going to happen.

FaceBook IS Fake news central.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 hours ago, typographie said:

Okay, you can question the validity of the source, but if there is a source then it's not "fake news."

I disagree wholeheartedly. You see the problem here all of the time from WCCFTech, TweakTown, etc. They almost always either cite "our undisclosed/anonymous source", or they just cite themselves, and they don't actually have a source. The same shit happens in mainstream media. That is literally what fake news is.

Just because you read some published document on InsertNewsChannelHere.com doesn't mean it's real or 100% true. Even the "big boys" in news publish fake news. Almost all of them ran with this newer one that was supposedly a legit report on Trump and his ties to Russia which if true would have been deeply disturbing. Except there were tons of inconsistencies in the report if you actually read through it yourself, full of typos, and to top it off it has references to old 4Chan fanfiction.

But will they build a firewall and make twitter pay for it?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hmm,

MSM declare Pizzagate fake news in seconds despite some really questionable activity happening right in front of them.

MSM declare the documents which come via Rick Wilson as fact in seconds despite some very obvious errors and 4Chan fanfic within.

Why should I believe Facebook is going to tell me the truth?