Intel CPU generation naming

I'm just curious how the naming scheme will go. We've had an i7-6700k, now an i7-7700k. What's next? i7-8700k? What happens when we hit the 10th generation? Will we have an i7-10700k, or an i7-x700k? How do you think it will go?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I honestly think they would just start over again when they get the chance. Maybe they might even go higher, but if you look at it the name looks silly if you go up to 10000k and 10000 (for non k cpus). I think they just might change things once we receive the 9000k and 9000 (non k) series.

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

By that time humanity won't exist the same way it does right now so meh xD

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

My guess which will probably be wrong, they'll move away from the "Intel core" name and call them something else, go to i3/i5/i7 and start from the bottom again.

If i'm right, someone come quote me again in 10ish years xD 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

5 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

My guess which will probably be wrong, they'll move away from the "Intel core" name and call them something else, go to i3/i5/i7 and start from the bottom again.

If i'm right, someone come quote me again in 10ish years xD 

imagine in the future somebody using i7 980x considering it a high end cpu. 

10 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

I honestly think they would just start over again when they get the chance. Maybe they might even go higher, but if you look at it the name looks silly if you go up to 10000k and 10000 (for non k cpus). I think they just might change things once we receive the 9000k and 9000 (non k) series.

Maybe they will do what HTC did and call it "intel one" only to then have to give it a number because people were getting confused.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

34 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

imagine in the future somebody using i7 980x considering it a high end cpu. 

yeah lol and the old i7 980x is crap

On 1/10/2017 at 5:15 PM, nerdslayer1 said:

its surprisingly good cpu for its age 

i meant in the future a person using the next 980x and calling the old one is crap

1 minute ago, Spencer109 said:

i meant in the future a person using the next 980x and calling the old one is crap

an extreme processor will never be crap they will be legends in the future.