was ces boring to you this year

JCBiggs

Was CES boring to you this year?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Was CES boring to you this year?

• yes
    • no
    • yes, worst ever

outside of a few interesting products... i didnt get a kick out of anything at CES.  in fact, I think the best, most helpful thing there is the fiber cable on samsumgs quantum dot... i mean qled TV... i also found the new type of nano dot they are using (metal based) to be quite interesting.... but other than that....

meh..

1. You can do polls on the forum instead of on external websites

2. It wasn't cause of AMD shedding some light on Zen and Vega.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Yea it was fun. Bunch of peeps fucked themselves over being for too excited about Nvidia/AMD

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

EDIT: After seeing this I think my faith in the event is restored. This is what I want VR to be :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I personally found the vega stuff to be interesting.

I don't think it was as interesting as past years, but it wasn't "boring."

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

idk... i just didnt feel like there was any exciting "game changing"  products this year... 

last year LG released that G6 and it  instantly became the reference replacement for the LONG time dominator the pioneer Kuro... thats game changing...

this year we got a laptop that no one is going to buy, and another one with two extra monitors hung onto the sides of it,   a tv with the brain box moved outside, and a new name for an existing technology... i mean.. really?   wtf? lol  

a new 400 watt solar cell on the show floor would of out-shined everything at ces this year.. at least from a "positive for technology" standpoint. thats sad. 

totally agree noramllt CES is the place for crazy prototypes that we never see again or finally come out like5 years later but this year everything seemed like it was a final product and just a platform to launch the product meh 

I lurk a lot

Most was mildly interesting, don't really care about kaby lake or ryzen (at least until it's a product people can actually buy) or rgb everything. Evga's watercooling stuff I'd like to see some more of since I like the idea of it all. Nvidia's piece about driverless cars in their presentation was pretty interesting as well, I was more interested in the 'consumer electronics' part of CES than the pc tech and what most of the tech tubers were covering.

I mean it was still kind of interesting, maybe it's because I'm not looking at building a new system anytime soon.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Dude, a laptop with 3 screens! RGB ram, an 8K display!! 

It could only get better if they had a computer case which used a separate mains connection to power an electric fold out grill! 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

It may not have been the most interesting CES ever, but I sure did like the look of the Lenovo AIO thing Linus looked at. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

For the first time I actually have concepts that follow my vision  and products I may buy so CES for me was the most interesting yet. But there was som very nice things the prior two years that was groundbreaking and something like that was lacking this year.

For me, is wasn't so much boring as it was mildly disappointing.

The two things I was really hoping to see at CES were Zen and the 7th gen ThinkPads. AMD said pretty much nothing new and Lenovo only showed the ThinkPad that I care the least about.

There was cool stuff, like that Acer ultrawide laptop and the glass-diaphragm TV/speaker, and I might even consider that 240Hz monitor at $500 (though I'm leaning more towards ultrawide), but overall it was either extreme stuff I'd never buy or reasonable products I have no special interest in.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

from the stand of view. I think the show was pretty lit.. there was one, boot I'd wanted Linus to check out. ''LN2 Overclocking'' (thermal grizzly)
the cooling tech they had was quiet interesting. felt like not much was covered by jayztwocents.
Linus had the most coverage at ces 2017

The stuff about Zen/Ryzen/Vega was interesting. 
Also how Acer is hitting the budget gaming laptop market with that new Aspire.  They'll have to compete against the new Inspiron which has a 1050 also, though.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

after the uprising. still cant make out what the connection has with the product.. lol I thought it was pretty lame. .

Not at all!

Panasonic has showed some great stuff, even some new Technics gear showed up.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

I feel like CES has been boring for some time now. A bunch of the cooler stuff shown off never finds its way into affordable consumer products it seems like. It also seems like tech on all fronts have gotten stagnent and everyone is relying on their marketing team to try to spice things up

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I feel that CES this year was pretty cool. Mostly due to the announcement of the Predator and the concept of Razer's Project Valerie, (Even though it did get stolen,) Although I feel that there were more interesting "Concepts" rather than actual production models such as I said before, Project Valerie, The unnamed passively cooled cube thing, and the test models of Ryzen and Vega. Although I will say that some of the fake and simulated Car stuff from BMW (or whatever car manufacturer it was) was a complete waste of time and an Excuse for BMW to make some flashy "Future Car" to hype up their brand, But that's just me.

maybe you just have to high of an expectation going in? i only thing i wanted to see was 1080ti or amd's cpu and gpu.