How to overclock this 1080??

Catholickme

Hello,

Before you judge me I'm a complete newbie to overclocking in general, the only experience i have is with the EasyTune software by Gigabyte on my Motherboard.

However I got this Nvidia GTX 1080 which came prebuilt with the waterblock already installed. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-tech-labs-gtx-1080-8192mb-gddr5x-water-cooled-graphics-card-wc-14b-tl.html#t=b1

However I am getting some FPS lag when I use a 2560x1440p monitor on Ultra settings, I was thinking since ive got the cooling i could put a high overclock on there but where do i start?

Cheers for any help you can give me.

3 minutes ago, Catholickme said:

However I am getting some FPS lag when I use a 2560x1440p monitor on Ultra settings, I was thinking since ive got the cooling i could put a high overclock on there but where do i start?

You start by having a atleast 4.5ghz oc on your 5820K.

OC you cpu not your gpu there should be no reason the 1080 cant handle 2560x1440p on ultra when i have a 950 that can run 2560x1080p on medium 

I lurk a lot

12 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

You start by having a atleast 4.5ghz oc on your 5820K.

1 minute ago, peej said:

OC you cpu not your gpu there should be no reason the 1080 cant handle 2560x1440p on ultra when i have a 950 that can run 2560x1080p on medium 

Okay cheers for the advice, I'll give the cpu overclock another go tonight when i get back from work and try to get it up a fair bit. Currently running 4Ghz on the cpu with the EasyTune software.

Just now, Catholickme said:

Okay cheers for the advice, I'll give the cpu overclock another go tonight when i get back from work and try to get it up a fair bit. Currently running 4Ghz on the cpu with the EasyTune software.

Try and lookup some expert guides, you don't wanna use auto voltages, they will be too high at those clock speeds.

1 minute ago, Catholickme said:

ovbousily every chip is different but im guessing theres a good bit to go on that since my i5 is at 4.4GHz

I lurk a lot

1 minute ago, peej said:

ovbousily every chip is different but im guessing theres a good bit to go on that since my i5 is at 4.4GHz

worst case scenario he can have the first few cores running at a higher clockrate.

Benchmarks.png

so i got home and managed to get the 4.5ghz on the cpu! Whats next?