Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've decided to do a mineral oil PC, but unfortunately there's not a whole lot of info that I could find on it

 

I have a few questions on it:

-Can any fish tank be used, or is a certain materiel required

-Can the I/O be submerged

-Is a pump and external radiators required, or is the temperature safe enough without them

-If not, how would I go about setting up the pumps and radiators, I could not find standalone radiators

 

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Anglogang said:

I've decided to do a mineral oil PC, but unfortunately there's not a whole lot of info that I could find on it

 

I have a few questions on it:

-Can any fish tank be used, or is a certain materiel required

-Can the I/O be submerged

-Is a pump and external radiators required, or is the temperature safe enough without them

-If not, how would I go about setting up the pumps and radiators, I could not find standalone radiators

 

Thanks

Here this goes over a lot of the finer details but you will ideally want a glass or acrylic tank that has seals like silicone types that are oil resilient. IO and such can be submerged but you risk your cables being compromised by the mineral oil as they harden over time and creep up the wires. 

 

In terms of cooling if you have a large enough tank with surface area you can get away with no radiators but if it's small a raditor used to cool the oil is necessary, note that all seals but be changed to neoprene type seals as most are not oil resistant. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Anglogang said:

-Can any fish tank be used, or is a certain materiel required

 

anything, if i were to do it i would use aluminium or copper for heat transfer

11 minutes ago, Anglogang said:

-Can the I/O be submerged

 

i wouldn't coz apparently cables wick up liquid and it leaks out the other end

11 minutes ago, Anglogang said:

-Is a pump and external radiators required, or is the temperature safe enough without them

 

you will need to cool it somehow. the liquid will only absorb so much heat up to its boiling point. you want to cool it before it reaches boiling. you dont make things hot or make things cool; you transfer energy.

 

             ☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

anything, if i were to do it i would use aluminium or copper for heat transfer

16 minutes ago, Anglogang said:

What's the point of oilcooling if you can't see the rig?

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

 OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL GPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

MY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz and pushing | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" 2560x1080 Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

2017 Audi Q7 | iPhone Xs Max | Apple Watch Series 3 42mm | 2018 MacBook Pro 15" [i7/560X/16GB/256GB] | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | harmon/kardon CL | Apple AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shiv78 said:

What's the point of oilcooling if you can't see the rig?

my goal would be to have a fanless system and maximise the heatsink surface area. slightly related: have a look at the cray super computer. i think it was like a fountain with coolant flowing over sandwiched circuit boards

             ☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

my goal would be to have a fanless system and maximise the heatsink surface area. slightly related: have a look at the cray super computer. i think it was like a fountain with coolant flowing over sandwiched circuit boards

The concept works but you need quite soe surface area. Here is my mineral oil passive cooled build.

it can handle 500 - 600 watts 24/7 (and 1 kW for about 1 hours when it's a cold start). All the information you need is in the build log:

 

 

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Link to post
Share on other sites

I built on efor my tech class. we used a 5.5 gallon fish tank and a cut and bent side panel to hold the hardware and as a motherboard tray. 

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 years later...
On 1/10/2017 at 1:05 AM, Evanki4 said:

I built on efor my tech class. we used a 5.5 gallon fish tank and a cut and bent side panel to hold the hardware and as a motherboard tray. 

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

I seen a video on linus tech tips the plastic goes weak & ram slot was broken after while did you face any problem like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know where to get the schematics or renders if you wanted to make your own acrylic cut or 3D printed Puget mineral oil PC?

Link to post
Share on other sites

fail post

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w | VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma |

GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC w/OC & Barrow Block | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 Evo 256GB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P |

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Faizan220 said:

Does anyone know where to get the schematics or renders if you wanted to make your own acrylic cut or 3D printed Puget mineral oil PC?

its a box/tank ...i mean ..cant get much easier to design.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w | VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma |

GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC w/OC & Barrow Block | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 Evo 256GB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P |

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×