Can we beat Star Wars: The Old Republic in development cost?

WhiteSkyMage

Hello guys and happy new year,

And with the new year comes new hope for whatever is coming in the gaming world, especially Star Citizen. If you have not realized by now, this game has surpassed many of the high budget games in game development costs (most recent being GTA V and Destiny), and you can see the reflection of this in the new patches and demos. 

While more and more new gamers sign up, do you think we can surpass Star Wars: The Old Republic in development costs (through crowd funding) and when? Do you think the amount of money given already is more than enough for them to complete what was promised and give us more on top?

SC_2nd_place.png

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

I think as of right now it's not going to happen unless something major happens.

Star citizen has been stagnating for a long while now, with relatively few strives being made in the development of the game. Until we see something major, and they bring us some of the content that's been promised, we won't see much of a jump in funding from donations/preorders.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

6 hours ago, Atmos said:

I think as of right now it's not going to happen unless something major happens.

Star citizen has been stagnating for a long while now, with relatively few strives being made in the development of the game. Until we see something major, and they bring us some of the content that's been promised, we won't see much of a jump in funding from donations/preorders.

Stagnating, you say? You do know that 2.6 has just launched with a whole bunch of new content and a lot of improved stuff, right? Are you even following the development posts and trying the builds?

4 hours ago, colt92 said:

Stagnating, you say? You do know that 2.6 has just launched with a whole bunch of new content and a lot of improved stuff, right? Are you even following the development posts and trying the builds?

2.6 is actually the reason it surpassed Destiny in Dev funds. Id expect us to go over $160mil once 3.0 is out. 

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

19 hours ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

2.6 is actually the reason it surpassed Destiny in Dev funds. Id expect us to go over $160mil once 3.0 is out. 

Most definitely, yes. Also, we must bear in mind that more than half of Destiny's and GTA V's overall budget was marketing. CR isn't investing nearly as much in that for SC and all the dev teams are doing much more work. You don't build (or in this case, refurbish) a game engine just like that.

On 09/01/2017 at 0:07 AM, WhiteSkyMage said:

Hello guys and happy new year,

And with the new year comes new hope for whatever is coming in the gaming world, especially Star Citizen. If you have not realized by now, this game has surpassed many of the high budget games in game development costs (most recent being GTA V and Destiny), and you can see the reflection of this in the new patches and demos. 

While more and more new gamers sign up, do you think we can surpass Star Wars: The Old Republic in development costs (through crowd funding) and when? Do you think the amount of money given already is more than enough for them to complete what was promised and give us more on top?

SC_2nd_place.png

You do realise this is money earnt not money spent, for all we know this may only cost 20 mil and the rest is in the bank

5 hours ago, rentaspoon said:

You do realise this is money earnt not money spent, for all we know this may only cost 20 mil and the rest is in the bank

Well, yes but it's actually more of a money earned and spent (well, not all). I don't really think 20 mil, but more like 65mil that was in the original crowd funding goals. Most of the rest went into expanding the company and BTW it makes sense for them to spend millions especially that they hired the top star actors in the world (I can't imagine how much Mark Hamil would ask for), but combine them all and you get a big sum of money spend largely on that.

You maybe right that some of it actually stays in the bank, but if they want to implement something new, then x amount would just stay in the bank until enough funds have been collected then they spend and yeah. They would always have quite a large sum so that they don't run out you know. Afterall, all developers need to be paid and they have maintenance & rents and other expenditures to cover etc... 

5 hours ago, rentaspoon said:

Oh no, don't get the conspiracy people riled up!

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

its probably going to happen, and then we never get the final game in the end

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Begone foul DS imitation! Thou art but a fleeting whisper in the great cascade of dissenters and disbelievers. Tarry not in this subforum and with your leaving, may you waste less time upon the concerns of others.

I only lurk... wait a sec-...

My only two contributions to society: SC Ship Guide / Squadron Logos

The only thing I don't believe that is going to work is their VR implementation unless they make some kind of major major major breakthrough in the world's technology.  I think Chris Roberts should have waited a little longer till we have a NerveGear (shown in SAO), then make Star Citizen in VR. You won't get the immersion you are seeking with a 2D screen strap to your head. It has to happen with brain in fully 3D world simulation.

16 hours ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

Well, yes but it's actually more of a money earned and spent (well, not all). I don't really think 20 mil, but more like 65mil that was in the original crowd funding goals. Most of the rest went into expanding the company and BTW it makes sense for them to spend millions especially that they hired the top star actors in the world (I can't imagine how much Mark Hamil would ask for), but combine them all and you get a big sum of money spend largely on that.

You maybe right that some of it actually stays in the bank, but if they want to implement something new, then x amount would just stay in the bank until enough funds have been collected then they spend and yeah. They would always have quite a large sum so that they don't run out you know. Afterall, all developers need to be paid and they have maintenance & rents and other expenditures to cover etc... 

Unless they start buying Lamborghinis as company cars I think it's impossible for them to burn as much as they earn plus I bet part of that 60mil money was for after launch anyway.

12 hours ago, Wauthar said:

Oh no, don't get the conspiracy people riled up!

12 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Oh no! What have I done!

8 hours ago, Gyre-Taenn said:

Begone foul DS imitation! Thou art but a fleeting whisper in the great cascade of dissenters and disbelievers. Tarry not in this subforum and with your leaving, may you waste less time upon the concerns of others.

1 hour ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

The only thing I don't believe that is going to work is their VR implementation unless they make some kind of major major major breakthrough in the world's technology.  I think Chris Roberts should have waited a little longer till we have a NerveGear (shown in SAO), then make Star Citizen in VR. You won't get the immersion you are seeking with a 2D screen strap to your head. It has to happen with brain in fully 3D world simulation.

That's what happens with the rift, it tricks your depth perception IIRC

7 hours ago, rentaspoon said:

That's what happens with the rift, it tricks your depth perception IIRC

And YET people throw up... Unacceptable GIMMICK VR lies.

Let me tell you guys what I think the best "VR" is there for you. You do NOT need your PC, nor you need to pay a penny for expensive VR hardware, nor stick anything to your face. You only need to learn a skill - Astral Projection! If you wanna play ALL games that exist in the digital world today, you learn the skill, and instead of gaming all night, you go to bed early, you get off and you build up your games in the Astral realm - no coding needed, just your imagination! And NOBODY is going to SUE you even if you copy Star Citizen 1:1 and complete the whole game before the slow development in our crappy physical world are done with Patch 3.0 on the PC. By that time, you will be playing this in VR, with some Ultra Brutal graphics of the whole spectrum of light, which our human eyes will be a bottle-neck seeing less than 1% of it.

I guess that would be a replacement for PC Gaming as a whole for me in the future... And guess I when I think about it, why the heck should I bother upgrading my PC anymore....

The last Patch gave me a bit hope back, but overall im still very very sceptical.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

14 hours ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

Let me tell you guys what I think the best "VR" is there for you. You do NOT need your PC, nor you need to pay a penny for expensive VR hardware, nor stick anything to your face. You only need to learn a skill - Astral Projection! If you wanna play ALL games that exist in the digital world today, you learn the skill, and instead of gaming all night, you go to bed early, you get off and you build up your games in the Astral realm - no coding needed, just your imagination! And NOBODY is going to SUE you even if you copy Star Citizen 1:1 and complete the whole game before the slow development in our crappy physical world are done with Patch 3.0 on the PC. By that time, you will be playing this in VR, with some Ultra Brutal graphics of the whole spectrum of light, which our human eyes will be a bottle-neck seeing less than 1% of it.

I guess that would be a replacement for PC Gaming as a whole for me in the future... And guess I when I think about it, why the heck should I bother upgrading my PC anymore....

I can't tell if your serious or not..

3 hours ago, Praesi said:

The last Patch gave me a bit hope back, but overall im still very very sceptical.

What are you sceptical about?

9 minutes ago, rentaspoon said:

What are you sceptical about?

Almost Everything.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

14 hours ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

I'll have whatever you're having...

13 minutes ago, BananaDealer said:

I'll have whatever you're having...

Yeah you should try. It's an awesome experience once you get the hang of it.

10 minutes ago, rentaspoon said:

In life?

Dude....we talk about SC...