How To Get Into The Mood To Play Video Games

vigorstick

Has anyone else dealt with wanting to start a new game so badly but not wanting to ruin your experience by not being in the mood to play it? I've been dealing with this for the past week or so and it's starting to drive me insane. I bought Doom last week and was super pumped to play it, but then had to wait for it download overnight (2MB/s - kill me >:(), started it the next morning and stopped after 30 minutes because I got bored so quickly.

And I know it's not Doom's fault because there's plenty of other games in my Steam library that I have yet to start but dammit I just can't bring myself to!

Any ideas on how to remedy this headache?

Watching movies helps me get in the mood for games. If I watch LotR I want to play Witcher 3. If I watch an exciting action movie I usually want to play an FPS or something.

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

Hmmm

Maybe video games aren't your thing

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Watch things that are related to games.

When I lack confidence in a certain subject, I usually watch something that is related to that subject to gain more confidence. Inspiration is what I get.

Such as animation. I watch amazing animations, and I am suddenly inspired to make animation.

I get this a lot. there's so many games i want to play, and have plans for what to do in them. but once i start it up and everything is loaded, i only play for an hour or two.. 

funny enough i started to play some DOOM. one of the best single player FPS experiences, but i got tired of it after an hour. i wanted to finish Titanfall 2's campaign mode as well but for some reason i never get around to doing so.

and my pc rig isn't exactly slow. strange isn't it... have a 1070 but complain about nothing to play. 

at least i've finished Dishonored 2 this week.. but geez this game was dull. the level design was amazing, but everything else was nothing like the first game. also spent a week or two beating Darksiders 1 since it got a remaster patch, but i haven't touched the second one yet. 

perhaps i'm getting burned out.. the last games i got extremely sucked into were the Witcher 3 and assetto corsa. in fact i plan to get a wheel and pedals and start racing again 

12 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Hmmm

Maybe video games aren't your thing

I've been playing games since I was 3 years old, and this "gaming mood" problem I'm complaining about has only been effecting me for a week. Video games certainly are my thing.

1 minute ago, vigorstick said:

I've been playing games since I was 3 years old, and this "gaming mood" problem I'm complaining about has only been effecting me for a week. Video games certainly are my thing.

Ah I only said it half serious

If it's only been last week that you can't get in the mood, maybe it is time for a break.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, AniJan said:

Watch things that are related to games.

When I lack confidence in a certain subject, I usually watch something that is related to that subject to gain more confidence. Inspiration is what I get.

Such as animation. I watch amazing animations, and I am suddenly inspired to make animation.

I'll give this a try. Maybe some trailers and soundtracks will help.

sounds like virtual impotence... maybe there is a pill for that

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d  Motherboard:  Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite  RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 16GB DDR5 6000   GPU:  Zotac RTX 4090

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair SHIFT RM1000x  Display:  ASUS AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC

6 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Ah I only said it half serious

If it's only been last week that you can't get in the mood, maybe it is time for a break.

I had a feeling that you might have been joking, but you triggered me just enough for a serious reply :P. But maybe not playing games is what I need. Guess I'll try not playing games for some time and just wait for the urges again.

1 minute ago, vigorstick said:

I had a feeling that you might have been joking, but you triggered me just enough for a serious reply :P. But maybe not playing games is what I need. Guess I'll try not playing games for some time and just wait for the urges again.

Yeah, maybe you can pick up another hobby while you're at it. More hobbies = better imo

Computer Specs:

Spoiler