Do I need USB-C ports on my motherboard

Hi,

I need to replace my motherboard, but can't offer to buy a new CPU. That means it has to be a 1150 motherboard. I don't need multi-GPU support and I don't do any RAID configuration. I found Asus motherboards having USB-C ports (USB 3.1), and they are quite expensive. Is it worth spending more for this? I mean I currently don't have any device having USB-C ports, but it's just an attempt to futureproof my system (though some might say futureproofing isn't really a thing). What advantages does USB 3.1 offer besides larger bandwidths, and what could it be used on a desktop except copying large files?

Thanks

Since you don't have any USB type C devices I Don't see the reason you should get an MB with type C support. 

I have a Nexus 5x and the USB type C is handy for quick charge. 

However for longevity purposes I would get an MB with support for USB type C. 

The time that you will get a device with a type C port really isn't that far away IMO.

Further more type C also brings thunderbolt into the mix, but that's only really interesting on notebooks.  

Depending on the revision it can basically do just about anything from data transfer, audio/video to speakers or monitor, external GPU enclosure and powering external devices (even monitors i believe). It's really versatile, however there aren't a lot of devices out there right now but it's coming.

Whether it's worth spending more on it is up to you, and there will probably be add on cards that will provide these features in the future just like they did for USB 3.0 back in the day, so you don't really need to future proof I'd say.

Ya, if you ever get a USB C device, you need to have a USB C mobo hole for quick charge if you want to charge off your PC, plus theres some nice peripherials for usb c

2 minutes ago, Lievenazerty said:

Since you don't have any USB type C devices I Don't see the reason you should get an MB with type C support. 

I have a Nexus 5x and the USB type C is handy for quick charge. 

However for longevity purposes I would get an MB with support for USB type C. 

The time that you will get a device with a type C port really isn't that far away IMO.

Further more type C also brings thunderbolt into the mix, but that's only really interesting on notebooks.  

Wouldn't quick charge work with a wall plug?

Can you elaborate on the advantages thunderbolt would offer? The only times I've seen Thunderbolt being useful was for Mac laptops since it would allow to use a dock. Let me know if there are other good uses for desktops.

3 minutes ago, Sack said:

Depending on the revision it can basically do just about anything from data transfer, audio/video to speakers or monitor, external GPU enclosure and powering external devices (even monitors i believe). It's really versatile, however there aren't a lot of devices out there right now but it's coming.

Whether it's worth spending more on it is up to you, and there will probably be add on cards that will provide these features in the future just like they did for USB 3.0 back in the day, so you don't really need to future proof I'd say.

This makes me keep thinking that the main advantages are for laptops. Why would I need an external GPU for my desktop? I'm totally fine using HDMI for my monitor too, so I'm not still not seeing any real advantage.

A wall plug would definitely be fine for quick charge as long if it type C to type C. 

Having type C with thunderbolt capability would allow display over that port. 

Other than that type C doesn't offer much of an advantage for desktops aside from being reversible.

EDIT: But like I've said for longevity purposes type C is the way to go. More and more devices will start supporting type C soon. 

11 minutes ago, Lievenazerty said:

A wall plug would definitely be fine for quick charge as long if it type C to type C. 

Having type C with thunderbolt capability would allow display over that port. 

Other than that type C doesn't offer much of an advantage for desktops aside from being reversible.

EDIT: But like I've said for longevity purposes type C is the way to go. More and more devices will start supporting type C soon. 

Seems like I'm not getting a USB-C since I'm not able to find real advantages. Any recommendation in terms of specs to look at?

A

3 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Seems like I'm getting a USB-C since I'm not able to find real advantages. Any recommendation in terms of specs to look at?

Are you or are you getting an type C MB, your first sentence seems a bit contradictory :P

1 minute ago, Lievenazerty said:

A

Are you or are you getting an type C MB, your first sentence seems a bit contradictory :P

Oops. I'm not.

1 minute ago, Lievenazerty said:

The MB really comes down to the chipset your CPU needs.

I've found an MSI board for €44 (~$46) https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/418515/gigabyte-g1sniper-b6/specificaties/

Thanks. That's pretty much the type of motherboard I had in mind but I thought it was too cheap. I can see that there's no need to pay a lot of money if you don't do any overclocking, RAID or multi-GPU.

1 minute ago, IAmAndre said:

Thanks. That's pretty much the type of motherboard I had in mind but I thought it was too cheap. I can see that there's no need to pay a lot of money if you don't do any overclocking, RAID or multi-GPU.

Something in that price range would be perfect for you all things considered.