Does 60 FPS on a GSYNC display appear more 'smooth' than 60 hz normal display? 

arthurdemelo123

Does 60 FPS on a GSYNC display 60 hz appear more 'smooth' than 60 fps/hz normal display?  
I saw the amd free sync test program
its look more smooth but I don't know if it is marketing or really makes the diference 

actually improves?

If we're talking exactly 60FPS, then no, they should look the same. If it were anything below 60FPS, then yes, GSync will look smoother. 

GSync makes a hell of a difference with a lot of games. It really works best with monitors with high refresh rates as you're more likely to be below the refresh rate compared to a 60Hz monitor. 

If both monitors are 60Hz, the one with adaptive sync will look just the same but it will be free of screen tears, or if you enable vsync on the normal monitor, the one with adaptive sync will have less latency in terms of input lag.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

If your game is running at exactly 60 FPS all the time without dipping or going higher, they the 2 will be the same. Where g-sync really shines is that it will look buttery smooth no matter what framerate your game is being rendered at (down to 30 FPS, below that, nothings gonna help the choppiness)

It should provide a better viewing experience in most games since your framerate tends to jump around depending what's on the screen. It also makes it so you don't have to make the choice of v-sync vs. screen tearing.

When in doubt, re-format.

6 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

GSync makes a hell of a difference with a lot of games. It really works best with monitors with high refresh rates as you're more likely to be below the refresh rate compared to a 60Hz monitor. 

I'd add that adaptive sync helps a lot with driving 4K screens, since it makes 30-45 fps playable instead of a stutter fest.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

So... lest's say i have a 144 hz monitor and i use a program to lock at 144fps no shit sync 'v sync'

i'm ok? it is cheaper

1 minute ago, arthurdemelo123 said:

So... lest's say i have a 144 hz monitor and i use a program to lock at 144fps no shit sync than

i'm ok? it is cheaper

You'll likely still get screen tearing unless the game sits at exactly 144FPS all the time. The key to not having tearing is the monitor and GPU being synced to display frames at the same time. Setting a FPS cap means the framerate can essentially bounce off that cap, causing tearing when the monitor and GPU FPS are not synced. 

26 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You'll likely still get screen tearing unless the game sits at exactly 144FPS all the time. The key to not having tearing is the monitor and GPU being synced to display frames at the same time. Setting a FPS cap means the framerate can essentially bounce off that cap, causing tearing when the monitor and GPU FPS are not synced. 

But if i try 2 gtx 1080 and my game runs ''more'' than 144 fps all the time, and i use Msi afterburner to Limit fps 'IN THE GAME'

that's is not ok? the game will run 144 fps like g sync no?

2 minutes ago, arthurdemelo123 said:

But if i try 2 gtx 1080 and my game runs ''more'' than 144 fps all the time, and i use Msi afterburner to Limit fps 'IN THE GAME'

that's is not ok? the game will run 144 fps like g sync no?

Even if the game is limited to the same framerate, it can still get tearing because it isn't synchronized.

3 minutes ago, arthurdemelo123 said:

that's is not ok? the gane will run 144 fps like g sync no?

No, it will not be the same. It will force it to stay below 144Hz, but it will do nothing to sync the GPU and the monitor. An FPS cap paired with GSync/Freesync works well, as it ensures the adaptive refresh rate is always enabled, but just capping the FPS doesn't match up the frames to the monitor. 

Has a noticible diference 100 hz and 120hz 144hz?
G sync 100 hz or 144hz no g sync?

38 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

At least at 144Hz screen tears are not that visible

Computer Specs:

Spoiler