vpn for online banking

Go to solution Solved by Akolyte,
36 minutes ago, Edwardk326 said:

OK I think I get it. The general answer seems to be no don't use VPN even if it is a premium one like hotspot shield 

No, you should use a VPN if you trust it.  There are many sites that highlight on VPNs that don't log anything.  VPNs will just slow your connection but the important thing is though, they WONT secure your details from local malware.  Essentially meaning if you have a keylogger, that keylogger will still be able to log your keys, and unless it hosts a server on your computer (likely the other way round c&c server.) then it will still be able to do it even if you use a VPN.  

You're better off getting a VPN if you want privacy, but it won't protect you from viruses on your computer.  If you want to spend some money, get a good antivirus like Kaspersky.  It has a virtual keyboard to protect against keyloggers, webcam protection, a good firewall, restricts applications without a digital signature and without being trusted on KSN, it also has very good virus signatures.  If you got a PUP and that is what you are worried about, get an antivirus instead. 

hey guys I just found a pup (potentially unwanted program) on my computer thankfully I just got rid of it. anyway I just wanted to know is it safe to use a premium subscription vpn to do online banking? that's my only question. 

Motherboard: Asus Z97-Deluxe, Processor: Intel i7-4790K@4.3GHz@1.150Volts, GPU: Asus ROG GTX980 Matrix (with a NZXT G10 bracket and a nzxt x41 AIO liquid cooler), Ram: Kingston HyperX 32GB 1866MHz CL10, PSU: Corsair Hx1200i, Storage: 1TB Seagate SSHD with a Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB SSD, Display: BenQ XL2411Z, Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB, Mouse: Razer Deathadder chroma.  

pc part picker list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/hu0210/saved/#view=qHK6XL

the safest way would be to host your own VPN then you and only you have access to the data when going through a 3rd party there is always a risk that someone will skim the data but you would likely be safe with someone like tunnel bear yes

I lurk a lot

why? VPNs are for when you don't want people knowing what you're doing - eg torrenting, logging into sites on sketchy free WiFi, etc. 

Online banking is normal. Don't bother with a VPN, just use it. 

idk

5 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

why? VPNs are for when you don't want people knowing what you're doing - eg torrenting, logging into sites on sketchy free WiFi, etc. 

Online banking is normal. Don't bother with a VPN, just use it. 

That's not entirely true. VPNs can be very useful for preventing MitM attacks, something that can be devastating when bank details are involved. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

That's not entirely true. VPNs can be very useful for preventing MitM attacks, something that can be devastating when bank details are involved. 

But who would wage an MITM attack against you in your own home? Or on a GSM network?

Maybe on free wifi at a public location, but would you do your banking at a cafe? 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

But who would wage an MITM attack against you in your own home? Or on a GSM network?

Maybe on free wifi at a public location, but would you do your banking at a cafe? 

Going from recent history, the government would. :D

While it's certainly not likely you'd have an attack from your home network, it still doesn't hurt to have an extra layer of encryption. I basically only turn off my VPN when doing things that depend on low latency. 

If considering buying a VPN purely for online banking, I'd agree it's not necessary. If the VPN is going to be used for other things too, there's no point not to use it really. 

Better off creating a virtual machine (VPC if you're running windows, or vbox) and using it strictly for anything involving purchasing or banking. VPN doesn't connect you directly to your bank, so you're not less protected from unwanted applications snooping in on your activities.

OK I think I get it. The general answer seems to be no don't use VPN even if it is a premium one like hotspot shield 

Edited by Edwardk326

Motherboard: Asus Z97-Deluxe, Processor: Intel i7-4790K@4.3GHz@1.150Volts, GPU: Asus ROG GTX980 Matrix (with a NZXT G10 bracket and a nzxt x41 AIO liquid cooler), Ram: Kingston HyperX 32GB 1866MHz CL10, PSU: Corsair Hx1200i, Storage: 1TB Seagate SSHD with a Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB SSD, Display: BenQ XL2411Z, Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB, Mouse: Razer Deathadder chroma.  

pc part picker list:

36 minutes ago, Edwardk326 said:

No, you should use a VPN if you trust it.  There are many sites that highlight on VPNs that don't log anything.  VPNs will just slow your connection but the important thing is though, they WONT secure your details from local malware.  Essentially meaning if you have a keylogger, that keylogger will still be able to log your keys, and unless it hosts a server on your computer (likely the other way round c&c server.) then it will still be able to do it even if you use a VPN.  

You're better off getting a VPN if you want privacy, but it won't protect you from viruses on your computer.  If you want to spend some money, get a good antivirus like Kaspersky.  It has a virtual keyboard to protect against keyloggers, webcam protection, a good firewall, restricts applications without a digital signature and without being trusted on KSN, it also has very good virus signatures.  If you got a PUP and that is what you are worried about, get an antivirus instead. 

3 minutes ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

Yeah I did that and it cleaned the computer of spyware disguised as windows update. Now my computer is clean I just want to know can trust a VPN for online banking 

Thanks man

pc part picker list:

3 minutes ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

Yeah I did that and it cleaned the computer of spyware disguised as windows update. Now my computer is clean I just want to know can trust a VPN for online banking 

Thanks man

pc part picker list: