Kaby lake cpu

So after seeing the latest LTT video about kaby lake cpu (i7-7700k), there is one question: is kaby lake worth it?

Not if you come from any of the last 4 generations of intel cpu's unless it is for new "features"

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

1 minute ago, malon said:

Not if you come from any of the last 4 generations of intel cpu's unless it is for new "features"

Well i don't care about 4k Netflix so..

Not worth the purchase, if you want the same experience with the kabylake just get skylake.

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

4 minutes ago, Fourmi_Killer said:

Well i don't care about 4k Netflix so..

Yea intel made a bad move doing that. This will lose some of there amount of stock they sell this year on kabylake. Amd is looking like they might take a stand.

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

2 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

Not worth the purchase, if you want the same experience with the kabylake just get skylake.

This is stupid advice. People really need to stop recommending the 6700k over the 7700k for new builds. Both CPU's cost the same and the 7700k is across the board better.

It's just not better enough to generally be worth upgrading to from an already competitive CPU.

1 minute ago, Paradine Sage said:

This is stupid advice. People really need to stop recommending the 6700k over the 7700k for new builds. Both CPU's cost the same and the 7700k is across the board better.

It's just not better enough to generally be worth upgrading to from an already competitive CPU.

Since when did i recommend the 6700k? Oh yea that's right I didn't. We are talking about a 1 to 3% performance boost, Oh, and lets not forget 4K NETFLIX ONLY WITH KABYLAKE!!

PCPartPicker

1 minute ago, Joseph Hartness said:

Since when did i recommend the 6700k? Oh yea that's right I didn't. We are talking about a 1 to 3% performance boost, Oh, and lets not forget 4K NETFLIX ONLY WITH KABYLAKE!!

The Kaby Lake chips cost the same amount of money as the equivalent Skylake chip while offering across the board better performance. I quoted you saying "just get Skylake". That is flat out bad advice unless you have some way for him to get a Skylake chip at significantly under MSRP.

8 minutes ago, Paradine Sage said:

The Kaby Lake chips cost the same amount of money as the equivalent Skylake chip while offering across the board better performance. I quoted you saying "just get Skylake". That is flat out bad advice unless you have some way for him to get a Skylake chip at significantly under MSRP.

Tell me the amount and proof that skylake will sell at the exact same price as kabylake without MSRP. I guarantee you that skylake will go down in price as soon as kabylake hits the shelves. Just think of all the other cpu's that are still worth a buy compared to kabylake, not just skylake, others as well from past generations. Just because something is slightly better doesn't mean its worth it. They offer smaller higher base clock, WOW!, no one cares about kabylake at this point, I am sorry. Again I'm not angry or trying to belittle you I am just tired of companies not innovating like they used to.

PCPartPicker

26 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

Tell me the amount and proof that skylake will sell at the exact same price as kabylake without MSRP. I guarantee you that skylake will go down in price as soon as kabylake hits the shelves. Just think of all the other cpu's that are still worth a buy compared to kabylake, not just skylake, others as well from past generations. Just because something is slightly better doesn't mean its worth it. They offer smaller higher base clock, WOW!, no one cares about kabylake at this point, I am sorry. Again I'm not angry or trying to belittle you I am just tired of companies not innovating like they used to.

The price of Skylake isn't going to drop simply because Intel is the only one who could drop it. Profit margins for the sellers on 6700k's are already pretty low, they just can't cut prices all that far below where they are now and still make a profit. Kaby Lake is also likely to be relatively low demand precisely because it is not enough better for anyone already on a good chip to upgrade to it, so it will fairly quickly be selling at around MSRP.

And again, if you are in the market for a new Intel chip that's not X99 right now then Kaby Lake is generally where you should be looking. It's the best price to performance for current gen Intel chips.

You also don't buy a -K SKU unless you plan on overclocking it, otherwise you are just wasting money. That makes the base clock irrelevant, where you should be looking is at what you can expect to hit, 24/7 stable, on an all in one water cooler or top tier air cooler at around 1.3 to 1.35 volts. For a 6700k that point is 4.7 to 4.8 Ghz. For a 7700k that point is 5 Ghz +.

As for companies not innovating, why did you expect something better out of Kaby Lake? This is the optimization step of their road map, we knew ages ago that there was going to be no die shrink and no change in IPC. This was always just going to be higher clocks for the same voltage, with performance gains being pretty directly equal to how much you can up the clock and the only other benefits being the ancillary stuff.

It is worth it. Intel optane memory offers much more memory, at much faster speeds, when it comes out, you will want a Kaby Lake, or you will be missing out.

The other benefits are high single core clock speeds, and 8 threads if you buy the i7-7700K, since it can be overclocked higher than the i7-6700K, making it better.

So if your excuse for not upgrading to Kaby Lake is "not enough performance increase" then I will remember that when you whine that you can't use Optane without completely upgrading your build down the road for possibly more money than what would cost you for just buying a 7th generation processor now. I.E. Your money is spread out, and You get the inevitable upgrade early anyway.

As for waiting for much better performance, it's gonna be a long time, so if you don't upgrade hoping for something more powerful down the road, keep in mind you are going to be waiting several years, possibly up to 4.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular