How often do you upgrade your GPU? [POLL]

RyanMacRocks

GPU Upgrade  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you upgrade?

• Every GPU cycle (ex. 970 to 1070)
    • Every two cycles (ex. 770 to 1070)
    • Every three cycles (ex. 670 to 1070)
    • Wait as long as possible (ex. GTX 460 or below)
  2. 2. Do you consider both AMD and NVIDEA when upgrading or stick with one brand?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if one company vastly outperforms the other (both in price or performance)
  3. 3. Do you upgrade:

• Just your GPU
    • Your entire system
    • Depends

15 minutes ago, RyanMacRocks said:

Saw a post about whether the GTX 660 was still relevant and became curious. All answers are greatly appreciated.

Please change the options of 2. You asked 2 question that are quite the opposite (consider 2 brands and sticking with one)

2 minutes ago, OsuMasterz said:

Just wondering, what did they do?

A little too biased towards AMD, but still a good video. 

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

1 minute ago, FTL said:

Please change the options of 2. You asked 2 question that are quite the opposite (consider 2 brands and sticking with one)

Will do.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

2 minutes ago, RyanMacRocks said:

Yeah, just a day I think until Vega is unveiled and 10 days until Ryzen if I'm correct.

Awesome!! i'm not completely against intel but i don't think that kaby lake is all that impressive, i really think that amd are actually gonna cause some competition between the two this year which is awesome. 

2 minutes ago, FTL said:

Actually, idk if I can edit the poll now that people have voted. Thanks for the correction though. I see how it is unclear.

1 minute ago, Squibbies18 said:

Awesome!! i'm not completely against intel but i don't think that kaby lake is all that impressive, i really think that amd are actually gonna cause some competition between the two this year which is awesome. 

I agree, Intel isn't necessarily a bad company by any means, just needs some friendly competition. Shouldn't have taken AMD this long to get on top of their game again.

5 minutes ago, OsuMasterz said:

3 minutes ago, RyanMacRocks said:

Yeah, I see what you mean. Really hoping Vega turns out great and AMD can get some market share back. Nvidea shouldn't have the success they do with some of their bad consumer practices.

6 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I stick with my card as long as possible, when my GPU is starting to show it's really getting old and having issues with 1080p60 i'll check how far a new AMD mid-range card is.

I'm usually prepared to wait as long as a year sooo...

Anyway, if you are wondering why i just go AMD and ignore nvidia, nvidia did some sh*¨t i didn't like and i refuse to give them my money.

In the end that's all they want so nvidia isn't going to get any of it from me.

If other people buy nvidia, sure, that's up to them, it's their money not mine so whatever.

Nvidia is only doing what they're doing because they have the marketshare to do it, they can afford to close off their technologies (and the right, I might add, since they spent R&D & time developing them)

If AMD wasn't at the bottom of the barrel right now, all their technologies most likely wouldn't be open source, they've open sourced basically everything because they need to gain as much market share back as possible. They essentially have to play the good guy, to try and get as many customers as possible.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Usually when my GPU gets too old, or when performance wanes in the latest games. though with a 1070 I don't expect it to be phased out for a year or two 

the exception being Vega. if it's any good i'll switch to that. 

2 minutes ago, Lays said:

Nvidia is only doing what they're doing because they have the marketshare to do it, they can afford to close off their technologies (and the right, I might add, since they spent R&D & time developing them)

If AMD wasn't at the bottom of the barrel right now, all their technologies most likely wouldn't be open source, they've open sourced basically everything because they need to gain as much market share back as possible. They essentially have to play the good guy, to try and get as many customers as possible.

I see what you mean, by saying that they shouldn't have the success that they do I meant AMD shouldn't have allowed Nvidea to get so far ahead. It definitely is their right to do whatever they want with their tech, and if I was in their position I would probably do the same thing.

1 minute ago, OsuMasterz said:

I'll make a small list of reasons why i refuse to get nvidia :P

g-sync, expensive AF and freesync exists, as a gamer with a budget this was important to me (i have a freesync monitor now)

gimpworks, quite controversial for imo valid reasons.

3.5GB crap, i'm convinced low amounts of VRAM from nvidia cards are just part of planned obsolescence and even then they went a step further.

Geforce experience 3.0 forced sign-in crap. I mean really, wtf an account for updating drivers? Really?

Async compute, they said the 9XX series had async compute "but it was just disabled", i'm still waiting for proof that async works on those cards...

Might be another personal one but, deliberately confusing customers with the 1060 3GB and 1060 6GB.

Not caring about older cards, as i said AMD finewine (yes i know that's not an official name but whatever) has been proven true multiple times and because i keep my cards for as long as possible it's important to me how long and good the support is. And as been proven multiple times AMD does a better job of this than nvidia.

And not one that pisses me off tbh but DX12 performance is better on AMD cards so again, keeping the future in mind and with the small list above it's imo another point to AMD.

But then again this is a very anti-nvidia list, and yes AMD did make mistakes too but i limited this one to nvidia :P 

Oh yea, and it's my opinion :D if you don't agree with some things on this list, fine, i'm prepared to explain things on this list and discuss it if you want to as long as it's in a civilized way, i don't need another flaming troll spitting BS all over the place >_>

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

5 minutes ago, RyanMacRocks said:

I agree, Intel isn't necessarily a bad company by any means, just needs some friendly competition. Shouldn't have taken AMD this long to get on top of their game again.

Yeah they really should've paid more attention to the CPU market in recent years. I also can't wait till vega it's gonna be awesome to see AMD compete with the 1070 and 1080. Hopefully AMD can give Nvidia and Intel a run for their money this year.

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

g-sync, expensive AF and freesync exists, as a gamer with a budget this was important to me (i have a freesync monitor now)

3.5GB crap, i'm convinced low amounts of VRAM from nvidia cards are just part of planned obsolescence and even then they went a step further.

Geforce experience 3.0 forced sign-in crap. I mean really, wtf an account for updating drivers? Really?

Async compute, they said the 9XX series had async compute "but it was just disabled", i'm still waiting for proof that async works on those cards...

Might be another personal one but, deliberately confusing customers with the 1060 3GB and 1060 6GB.

Not caring about older cards, as i said AMD finewine (yes i know that's not an official name but whatever) has been proven true multiple times and because i keep my cards for as long as possible it's important to me how long and good the support is. And as been proven multiple times AMD does a better job of this than nvidia.

And not one that pisses me off tbh but DX12 performance is better on AMD cards so again, keeping the future in mind and with the small list above it's imo another point to AMD.

But then again this is a very anti-nvidia list, and yes AMD did make mistakes too but i limited this one to nvidia :P 

Oh yea, and it's my opinion :D if you don't agree with some things on this list, fine, i'm prepared to explain things on this list and discuss it if you want to as long as it's in a civilized way, i don't need another flaming troll spitting BS all over the place >_>

I'm 99% sure the only reason why "older cards have better support" from AMD is because they've been recycling the same Architecture for like 6 years now.  IE: optimizing for a 280x also optimizes for 7970, 390x for 290x, so on and so forth.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

All valid points. I have a bit of buyer's remorse for buying a 1050 Ti for some of these reasons. Bought it to replace a reference 7970 because it sounded like an airplane was taking off from my house. Would have gotten an RX 470 but there weren't the rebate deals that brought the price down to $149 at the time. If I had known that it would've gotten discounted so heavily I would've chosen the 470 in a second.

8600 GTS to GTX 560Ti to Titan X Maxwell, will keep it until it not longer proves capable of 1080p gaming, then I'll change full rig what shouldn't happen before 2020.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Squibbies18 said:

Yeah they really should've paid more attention to the CPU market in recent years. I also can't wait till vega it's gonna be awesome to see AMD compete with the 1070 and 1080. Hopefully AMD can give Nvidia and Intel a run for their money this year.

Hopefully; if it doesn't happen this year it had better happen next, they are running out of time with their market share dwindling so much. Just check out the Steam Hardware Survey. I love that they've been making such a great effort with their drivers (and hardware) recently however.

1 minute ago, Lays said:

I'm 99% sure the only reason why "older cards have better support" from AMD is because they've been recycling the same Architecture for like 6 years now.  IE: optimizing for a 280x also optimizes for 7970, 390x for 290x, so on and so forth.

You know, i actually completely missed those generations xD

I went from 6950 to rx 480, and the finewine stuff is already visible with the RX 480.

And tbh the 6950 probably kept up better than it should have done but i'm not complaining! Even when i sold it after having it for 6 years it was still doing IMO a decent job.

1080p60 on low/medium wasn't that bad actually, the only thing i could compare it to was a 560ti from a friend and my god was it a big difference during the last year we had them.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 minutes ago, RyanMacRocks said:

All valid points. I have a bit of buyer's remorse for buying a 1050 Ti for some of these reasons. Bought it to replace a reference 7970 because it sounded like an airplane was taking off from my house. Would have gotten an RX 470 but there weren't the rebate deals that brought the price down to $149 at the time. If I had known that it would've gotten discounted so heavily I would've chosen the 470 in a second.

Never had issues with noise and they don't do rebates where i live.

So it's always the same price everywhere all the time... Yay europe >_>

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Never had issues with noise and they don't do rebates where i live.

So it's always the same price everywhere all the time... Yay europe >_>

That was just an issue with the 7970. That thing would hit 83 degrees and you could hear the fan noise from the other side of the house. After the 7970 none of their cards were quite as bad, even the reference ones.

16 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

i would love to try out active-adaptive sync, but g-sync at a premium price is a little too much. i am looking at 1440p 144hz IPS monitors (i could get away with TN but even without content creation, playing games and media consumption with an IPS panel is second-to-none) and with g-sync the price simply skyrockets.. 

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

i would love to try out active-adaptive sync, but g-sync at a premium price is a little too much. i am looking at 1440p 144hz IPS monitors (i could get away with TN but even without content creation, playing games and media consumption with an IPS panel is second-to-none) and with g-sync the price simply skyrockets.. 

I bought a 24" 1080p TN panel for $79 on Black Friday, I still think it was a good deal but I still sometimes prefer my 19" 900p IPS.

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

Honestly, g-sync/freesync is a nice piece of tech, but imo not worth 100 bucks.

But tbh even without g-sync/freesync 1440p 144Hz IPS monitors are expensive AF.

Maybe a 1440p 144Hz TN with freesync could be for sale for a decent price but that's about it.

Long story short. From 1999 with a Pentium III 667+Nvidia Riva Vanta+256MB PC133 SDRAM (it doesn't deserve to be part of the TNT2 series, it is far worse than a TNT at all resolutions excluding 640x480, and is abysmally bad compared to the already terrible TNT2 M64) all the way to 2014 when I upgraded to an i5 4440+GTX 650ti OC 2GB+8GB DDR3 1333.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Long story short. From 1999 with a Pentium III 667+Nvidia Riva Vanta+256MB PC133 SDRAM (it doesn't deserve to be part of the TNT2 series, it is far worse than a TNT at all resolutions excluding 640x480, and is abysmally bad compared to the already terrible TNT2 M64) all the way to 2014 when I upgraded to an i5 4440+GTX 650ti OC 2GB+8GB DDR3 1333.

You used a P3 in 2013? As your main PC?

13 minutes ago, RyanMacRocks said:

You used a P3 in 2013? As your main PC?

Yep. The trick was stripping everything out of Windows XP that I would never use before installation.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Yep. The trick was stripping everything out of Windows XP that I would never use before installation.

That's impressive.