CPU stuck to heatsink and can't get it off

I created a thread a few days ago about getting a new cooler to my CPU. It finally arrived to day but got a major problem when I removed the old stock cooler. At first the heatsink wouldn't come off of the CPU so I started the computer back up again and had the cpu at full load for about 20 minutes at around 75 degrees celsius. When I went back to try to remove the heatsink again, the whole CPU came with it. The problem I have now is that it seems impossible for me to remove the CPU from the heatsink. The old paste is stuck like glue. I have tried to use cotton swabs with alcohol around it, I've tried to use my hairdryer to blast heat around and I've tried to use dental floss with alcohol but can't find a way to get it between the CPU and the heatsink. I'm not sure what to do at this point and I don't want to damage my CPU.Should I try to heat it with my hair dryer for a longer period of time? Are there any tricks I can use to get it off?

Just assuming you're talking AMD here, and what I tend to do is take a flathead screwdriver and GENTLY pry it off with a wad of toilet paper between the CPU and screwdriver.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Wow that sucks are you sure you didn't use thermal adhesive? The dental floss is a good idea or try fishing line

10 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Just assuming you're talking AMD here, and what I tend to do is take a flathead screwdriver and GENTLY pry it off with a wad of toilet paper between the CPU and screwdriver.

Yeah, it's and AMD FX-8350 with stock cooler and paste. I can try that but I hope I don't damage the CPU.

8 minutes ago, crashahotrod said:

Wow that sucks are you sure you didn't use thermal adhesive? The dental floss is a good idea or try fishing line

I'm not 100% sure but it's the stock paste that came with my AMD FX-8350. Do they really ship it with thermal adhesive?

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Twist it in a clockwise motion.  

Maybe I'm just super weak but it feels like it is impossible to twist it off for me this way. :/

Edited by HotFire

2 minutes ago, HotFire said:

Yeah, it's and AMD FX-8350 with stock cooler and paste. I can try that but I hope I don't damage the CPU.

I'm not 100% sure but it's the stock paste that came with my AMD FX-8350. Do they really ship it with thermal adhesive?

I've done it quite a few times with both AMD CPUs and the old 478 Pentium 4's and I have yet to damage one. Main thing doing it is put the TP on the PCB side, and slowly pry it off.

Also while the stock coolers don't use thermal adhesive, the thermal pad that they do use for whatever reason likes to get REALLY stuck onto the CPU after a few months.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

5 minutes ago, HotFire said:

Maybe I'm just super weak but it feels like it is impossible to twist it off for me this way. :/

You might have to pull your man hands out of the drawer.  :D

Take a Q-Tip and soak it in isopropyl alcohol.  Then take the soaked Q-Tip and saturate the area around the CPU heat spreader and cooler.  You're trying to get some to seap in between the cooler and the CPU's heat spreader.  Let it soak for a few minutes and then twist it with your man hands!  Be careful not be bend any pins.

If you end up going with the prying method, just make sure that your are careful with scarring or damaging the CPU.  

Either should work for you.

Get minimum 70% rubbing alcohol, go for the 90-99% if you can find it.

Sit your heatsink on the table with the cpu facing up. With a q-tip, and a razor blade, see if you can work some of that alcohol into the space between the CPU and heatsink. This may take some time for it to soak in, but your CPU wont be damaged by getting wet from the alcohol.

When in doubt, re-format.

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

You might have to pull your man hands out of the drawer.  :D

Take a Q-Tip and soak it in isopropyl alcohol.  Then take the soaked Q-Tip and saturate the area around the CPU heat spreader and cooler.  You're trying to get some to seap in between the cooler and the CPU's heat spreader.  Let it soak for a few minutes and then twist it with your man hands!  Be careful not be bend any pins.

If you end up going with the prying method, just make sure that your are careful with scarring or damaging the CPU.  

Either should work for you.

I've been trying to get alcohol to seap in but it's almost like the paste is filling up the space perfectly between the CPU and the heat sink. I can't get alcohol to seap in or get dental floss to find its way in between.

I've been at this for hours now and it seems impossible to get it off. Is the alcohol I'm using really bad? I got recommended to use something called T-Röd in swedish on swedish forums but I can't seem to get between the CPU and the heatsink. Do I have to get razor blades or something? It's like no space at all between the heatsink and the CPU.

4 minutes ago, HotFire said:

I've been at this for hours now and it seems impossible to get it off. Is the alcohol I'm using really bad? I got recommended to use something called T-Röd in swedish on swedish forums but I can't seem to get between the CPU and the heatsink. Do I have to get razor blades or something? It's like no space at all between the heatsink and the CPU.

If you haven't tried dropping it back in the socket, twisting the heatsink around, and then doing the prying method I mentioned, try it. It works wonders.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

If you haven't tried dropping it back in the socket, twisting the heatsink around, and then doing the prying method I mentioned, try it. It works wonders.

Holy moly! I tried it again after using the hair dryer for a longer peroid of time and it popped right off! I'll clean it off now and see if I can reseat it in the socket. I saw that a few pins got bent when I first removed it. Thanks for the help eveyone! Wish me luck!

1 hour ago, HotFire said:

Holy moly! I tried it again after using the hair dryer for a longer peroid of time and it popped right off! I'll clean it off now and see if I can reseat it in the socket. I saw that a few pins got bent when I first removed it. Thanks for the help eveyone! Wish me luck!

To bend them back, be gentle and use a credit card to align them all. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

To bend them back, be gentle and use a credit card to align them all. 

I tried it but my cards are a little too small I think. I'll have to go to the store tomorrow and get some tweezers to carefully bend them back straight. Hopefully I won't have to purchase a new CPU.

11 minutes ago, HotFire said:

I tried it but my cards are a little too small I think. I'll have to go to the store tomorrow and get some tweezers to carefully bend them back straight. Hopefully I won't have to purchase a new CPU.

its better to use something thats long and has a straight edge to it. like a credit card, driver license, or a laminated card

It worked using a mechanical pencil and a credit card! I was worried for a moment when I started the computer that it said "new cpu detected" but everything is working fine so far. Temps have gone done by more than 20-30 degrees Celsius after changing the cooler. No more overheating! xD Thanks for the help everyone!