Trouble overclocking with MSI Afterburner

ericwilliams2120

Afternoon ladies and gents,

So I am attempting to overclock my GPU for the first time. Things have been going fairly smoothly thus far, however I've run into a little bit of a road block. I have an ASUS ROG Geforce GTX 1070 and I've been using MSI afterburner after doing some research. Apparently it's the best program to use. Anyways, I have unlocked the ability to change the core voltage however the units are in % and not mV. Every single YouTube video that I have watched has the units in mV. Does anyone know how to change the units? I've looked everywhere yet no one is able to. I've been trying to overclock using just the % core voltage but I can only increase my core clock to +135 MHz over my standard clock before having to change increase my core voltage. I tried this but I keep getting a crash in unigine valley. Any ideas? I've attached a PDF with my settings on afterburner.

Thanks in advance.

Doc1.pdf

I wouldnt really bother much with Voltage on Pascal as it barely makes a difference if you increase it or not. Besides you are way too much limited by NVIDIA Green Lock to affect your OC significantly.

However I never seen % slider on voltage in Afterburner.

35 minutes ago, ericwilliams2120 said:

-snip-

Pascal has a different system of overclocking. It uses % instead of mv like in the previous gen cards. If you want to play with the nitty gritty voltage points, CTRL-F will give you the voltage curve editor where you can set what voltage happens at what clock rate. Be careful though, you don't want to accidently reduce voltage too much at the lower clocks.

You usually have to increase the core voltage to get farther. Curious, though, what are your core clock / memory clock offsets? What do you get for memory speed / GPU clock?

1 hour ago, scottyseng said:

Pascal has a different system of overclocking. It uses % instead of mv like in the previous gen cards. If you want to play with the nitty gritty voltage points, CTRL-F will give you the voltage curve editor where you can set what voltage happens at what clock rate. Be careful though, you don't want to accidently reduce voltage too much at the lower clocks.

You usually have to increase the core voltage to get farther. Curious, though, what are your core clock / memory clock offsets? What do you get for memory speed / GPU clock?

I haven't touched the memory overclock at this point. Taking one step at a time. According to Unigine Valley Core clock of my GPU was 2164 MHz and my memory was running at 4004 MHz. Core clock offset was set to +135. Memory clock offset was set to 0.

So is the core voltage value a percentage of the standard voltage being used? So for example, my GPU voltage seems to be running at 1.062V at full load. If I change my core voltage to +10, is that 10% on top of the 1.062V that it normally runs at?

Also, I took a look at the voltage curve editor you suggested. It only goes up to 1200mV, or 1.2V; is this the max limit of voltage that I can give my card? It would make sense to me that if I tried to go higher and crashed, that would be the reason.

Thanks for the help

1 minute ago, ericwilliams2120 said:

-snip-

2164MHz is quite high, I can see why you're crashing. Only a few 1070s are able to break much farther past 2.15GHz. Even fewer are able to go to 2.2GHz. I myself have mine stuck at 2130MHz.

Yeah, that's how core voltage works. Sadly Nvidia limits the max core voltage. You can drag the Core Voltage to max and have zero issues at all because it's nowhere near enough to damage the card.

Yep, that's the limit you can give the card.

2 hours ago, ericwilliams2120 said:

Afternoon ladies and gents,

So I am attempting to overclock my GPU for the first time. Things have been going fairly smoothly thus far, however I've run into a little bit of a road block. I have an ASUS ROG Geforce GTX 1070 and I've been using MSI afterburner after doing some research. Apparently it's the best program to use. Anyways, I have unlocked the ability to change the core voltage however the units are in % and not mV. Every single YouTube video that I have watched has the units in mV. Does anyone know how to change the units? I've looked everywhere yet no one is able to. I've been trying to overclock using just the % core voltage but I can only increase my core clock to +135 MHz over my standard clock before having to change increase my core voltage. I tried this but I keep getting a crash in unigine valley. Any ideas? I've attached a PDF with my settings on afterburner.

Thanks in advance.

Doc1.pdf

With Pascal the slider is a percentage of the voltage headroom between the base value of 1.061 and the maximum of 1,093v. No you cannot change units and 1% does not equal 1mv.

Pascal overclocking is mainly relying on the GPU boost to get the 2100mhz that you are hearing about. The best core clock that you will be able to get is somewhere in the region of 1700 using the slider.

If you look at the voltage curve (Ctrl-F in AB), you can see how the curve increases in the Y value as voltage increases across the X axis from left to right. Each voltage point actually has different overclocking potential. With your card, the point at 1.061V can OC +135 points, as you increase the voltage slider, the next point becomes active, however, 1.075V cannot OC to +135, maybe 1.075V can only get to +130 and remain stable. That same principle applies to each of the remaining points as you move across the graph. You need to test each point along the way to maximize your clock settings.

As you do not game down around teh .800V level, you also have the option of leaving the entire curve at stock values and only pulling the curve values in the 1.075 - 1.093 range up to the high clock speeds and testing your FPS level. With the lower voltage points remaining at lower levels, the card will tend to draw less power and keep you high gaming clock speeds more stable  

Makes so much more sense now. Thanks a lot fellas, I appreciate the help. I think I'll just leave it and focus on my CPU overclock and dialing that in. 

Cheers and a Happy New Year to all.