Obama taking actions against Russia for "Election Hacking"

TidaLWaveZ

_86282919_029745648-1.jpg

I had no choice but to post this, not necessarily because of the Obama Administration's actions, but more out of my curiosity I have with the included FBI report.  I've rifled through it multiple times and I'm hoping the community may find or understand something that I'm missing, specifically the part where they can directly attribute either the DNC hacking or some other large scale attack that had a major influence on the Presidential election. Hopefully someone can shed some light on the report, because I'm not seeing the connection. 

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3248231/Report-on-Russian-Hacking.pdf    -FBI report posted by The New York Times 

The Obama administration struck back at Russia on Thursday for its efforts to influence the 2016 election, ejecting 35 Russian intelligence operatives from the United States and imposing sanctions on Russia’s two leading intelligence services, including four top officers of the military intelligence unit the White House believes ordered the attacks on the Democratic National Committee and other political organizations.

- The New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/29/us/politics/russia-election-hacking-sanctions.html

What do you think? Is there damning evidence that Russia influenced the 2016 US Presidential election within the FBI's report?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I don't like Russia, but USA isn't the best either.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Might be better to place this under General Discussion

1 minute ago, Gamessys said:

Tech news...

Well hacking is a technique that involves tech and computing

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

Tech news...

It sort of is tho, because the hacking, but it's very close to the line, yes.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

10 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

Tech news...

Sorry if large scale cyber attacks and thirteen page "technical" FBI reports detailing how they attributed the attacks to a certain attacker doesn't fit your definition of tech news. I do understand the strife with not wanting political opinions pushed into tech news.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Wasn't the dude's password "P@assword"?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I doubt they tampered with the election I think it's just a bunch of liberals still whining about how trump won and are still trying to find a way out of it. All I'm saying is if trump called election tampering if he lost it would have been called a conspiracy. It wouldn't have had this much coverage if the circumstances were reversed

1 minute ago, Ion4545 said:

I doubt they tampered with the election I think it's just a bunch of liberals still whining about how trump won and are still trying to find a way out of it. All I'm saying is if trump called election tampering if he lost it would have been called a conspiracy. It wouldn't have had this much coverage if the circumstances were reversed

Sigh. Sure buddy. That's why the republican run FBI and CIA both have agreeing reports. Just keep blaming the Liberals for ruining "Your" Country while screaming about how you love freedom.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

5 minutes ago, Ion4545 said:

That's a hilariously lazy analysis. There is no evidence Russia actually did anything, but to say it is the same as Trump saying it was rigged with no evidence because he thinks he's the greatest is a completely different thing. But don't get logical thinking get in the way of sticking it to "them liberals."

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Well, there were technically two breaches. Also, group code names with "Bear" in it are ID'd as Russian.

The first was done by the group that is code named as "Cozy Bear." This is guaranteed to be done by russians as there was continuous communication between a server known to be operated by this group and DNC computers.

The second, more known breach, was by a new group dubbed "Fancy Bear." According to Ars Technica:

After Crowdstrike and the DNC revealed the hacks and attributed them to Russian intelligence-connected groups, some of the files taken from the DNC were posted on a website by someone using the name Guccifer 2.0. While the individual claimed to be Romanian, documents in the initial dump from the DNC by Guccifer 2.0 were found to have been edited using a Russian-language version of Word and by someone using a computer named for Felix Dzerzhinsky, founder of the Soviet secret police. (The documents are linked in this article by Ars' Dan Goodin.)

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Well, there were technically two breaches. Also, group code names with "Bear" in it are ID'd as Russian.

The first was done by the group that is code named as "Cozy Bear." This is guaranteed to be done by russians as there was continuous communication between a server known to be operated by this group and DNC computers.

The second, more known breach, was by a new group dubbed "Fancy Bear." According to Ars Technica:

the fancy bear breach could be bait for all we know - nobody remains that obvious when leaking data

idk

4 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

That's a hilariously lazy analysis. There is no evidence Russia actually did anything, but to say it is the same as Trump saying it was rigged with no evidence because he thinks he's the greatest is a completely different thing. But don't get logical thinking get in the way of sticking it to "them liberals."

"There is no evidence Russia actually did anything, but to say  it is the same as Trump saying it was rigged with no evidence because he thinks he's the greatest is a completely different thing." I don't understand how you see a difference both have little to no evidence

Firstly : The US intelligence agencies can make claims all they want, at the end of the day they're not neutral and have a lot (of funding) to gain from making bogus claims that negatively impact US-Russian relationships. 

I'll believe it when I see the results of an independent investigation.

Secondly : The US is known for rigging and influencing elections wherever and whenever they see fit, even the 1996 Russian elections are suspected to be influenced heavily.  And when there is no election to tamper with but they don't like the leadership of certain countries, they have been known to invade said countries to overthrow the regime and install one of their own choosing, all in the name of democracy and finding weapons of mass destruction.

So if this was indeed a hack by the Russians, the US merely reaped what they sowed.

Lastly, I find it hilarious how everyone is focusing on the source of the hacks rather than getting to the bottom of the rigged primaries that the hacks exposed. 

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

the fancy bear breach could be bait for all we know - nobody remains that obvious when leaking data

They have known patterns, they've been attributed with previous spear phishing attempts against the military and other organizations but just recently got the code name "Fancy Bear" due to the DNC hack. Dell SecureWorks also were the ones to originally detect the spear phishing against the DNC with hard evidence and they also said that they were moderately confident that the attack was Russian in source.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Obummer at it again!

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

I'll believe it when I see the results of an independent investigation.

https://www.secureworks.com/research/threat-group-4127-targets-hillary-clinton-presidential-campaign

https://www.fireeye.com/content/dam/fireeye-www/global/en/current-threats/pdfs/rpt-apt28.pdf

Independent enough for you? FireEye was contracted by the DNC but are still independent. SecureWorks is completely independent and were the ones to originally detect the attack.

Even if they did hack it. DIdn't they make a recount because Hillary wanted one. (correct me if I'm wrong i ju8st googled this) And didn't she lose the recount soooo

6 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

That report is ridiculous: old hacks, mitigations listed have nothing special, no proof of Russian government involvement...
The best thing that they said is that tools used by the Russian government were used in the attack, but even US government buy hacking tools, so that doesn't prove anything.

That's where I'm at, with my knowledge I don't see the connection. I may have a CIS degree and a few years of work experience, but I certainly don't know everything.

14 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Hillary lost and recounts worked against her. The Democrats need to get over it already. 

Regardless of election results, a serious data breach of one of our major parties happened. You just don't ignore something like that.

5 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Regardless of election results, a serious data breach of one of our major parties happened. You just don't ignore something like that.

No one ever wigs out when China does it. Why is that? Also, what if the 'serious data breach' was virtually allowed by leadership within that major party?

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

9 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

You're right.
If there was actual election hacking by Russia then we should look into it, but we should understand that this "hacking" isn't like Russia changed the votes in the election results; it was a leak of information that exposed how the DNC primaries were rigged and brought to the public eye how corrupt Hillary and many of those on the Left are, which influenced the minds of voters.
It's kinda like if i were to get evidence that Jared, from Subway, touched little kids and i gave it to the police, so i "influenced the minds of the police" by giving them evidence that Jared, from Subway, is a child sexual predator.
Just so we're all in the clear here on exactly what this situation really is.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

26 minutes ago, Ion4545 said:

"There is no evidence Russia actually did anything, but to say  it is the same as Trump saying it was rigged with no evidence because he thinks he's the greatest is a completely different thing." I don't understand how you see a difference both have little to no evidence

Are you serious? DNC docs were leaked so we're trying to find out how (still no evidence Russia did it). What exactly happened to Trump or the RNC that needs to be investigated? Yes, he's an idiot for making shit up.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit