Random abrupt power loss/reboot issue

Hey guys. I'm new to this forum and how someone can help me out. Here is my situation....

I have all of a sudden been getting full power off crashes where my computer, right in the middle of doing something (mostly simple tasks), will power itself off as if someone cut the power to it, and then it will automatically reboot itself. These are full power offs, as if the electricity was cut from my system. All the lights go off, all the fans stop spinning, ECT. Then it reboots by itself.

I have built this system along with many others, and this is the first time I have had this issue. I am pretty tech savy with PCs, and I am just trying to see if anyone has any suggestions I have not thought of yet. Here is my setup, brought to you by PC parts picker:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/liberty610/saved/#view=G48RsY

The Samsung m.2 drive in that parts list is my main Windows 10 Pro boot drive. The intel SSD that's listed, as well as all the other standard HDDs are for storage.

On the motherboard, the 1080 graphics card is is the first 16x slot, I have a Hauppauge Colossus video capture card in the the second 16x slot, and then an Aver Media Live Gamer HD capture card in the 3rd 16x slot - if that matters.

I put this system together about 6 months ago, with swapping out a MSI board that was giving me nothing but headaches. I changed it with the Gigabyte board that is listed in the parts list. I put the Gigabyte board in about a month ago and have not had any issues with it, until this past weekend. I was doing simple web browsing tasks, it shut off right in the middle of a session I was in, and booted itself back up. Once Saturday, and once again Sunday. No blue screen error or anything, just an abrupt power off and then it auto reboots. Line I said, it's a total power loss as if the electricity went out. The first time it happened, I actually thought the power went out. Bout nothing else lost power. 

I do a little bit of high spec gaming, lots of audio work for musicians, video rendering/editing, ect (I run a small media project studio). I use HWMonitor to look at all my temps, and I know those are fine. Almost all the parts as far as cooling goes are all brand new and clearly functioning, so I know the case fans and CPU fans are fine. This can't be a temp related issue. I even ran CPU-Z stress tester for a while to get the cpu running, and the hottest it got was 48 Celsius.

I have ran maleware checks with Maleware bytes and ran virus scans with AVG, although I'm confident that it's not a virus or malware issue, as I am really cautious with where I go online with this system.

The two times this power loss/crash happened, I was not doing anything heavy at all. Just e-mail and web site checking. Nothing more. And the system was booted up for maybe an hour the first day and only 20 mins or so when it did it the second day.

When I put the Gigabyte board in, before installing anything else, I install the latest BIOS version from Gigabyte's site which was version F5. I was able to reboot and run everything normally after these happened, but 2 crashes like this in 2 days is alarming to me.

Can anyone point me in a direction to try and further diagnose this problem? I am wondering if it could be the power supply dying out on me, as it is 6+ years old with some heavy milage on it from previous builds, but that's all I can think of outside what I've already looked at.

Any thoughts or ideas? I have a new power supply on the way just in case, but I want to make sure I'm covering all possible issues.

Thanks in advance for any help!

3 minutes ago, Liberty610 said:
Hey guys. I'm new to this forum and how someone can help me out. Here is my situation....

I have all of a sudden been getting full power off crashes where my computer, right in the middle of doing something (mostly simple tasks), will power itself off as if someone cut the power to it, and then it will automatically reboot itself. These are full power offs, as if the electricity was cut from my system. All the lights go off, all the fans stop spinning, ECT. Then it reboots by itself.

I have built this system along with many others, and this is the first time I have had this issue. I am pretty tech savy with PCs, and I am just trying to see if anyone has any suggestions I have not thought of yet. Here is my setup, brought to you by PC parts picker:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/liberty610/saved/#view=G48RsY

The Samsung m.2 drive in that parts list is my main Windows 10 Pro boot drive. The intel SSD that's listed, as well as all the other standard HDDs are for storage.

On the motherboard, the 1080 graphics card is is the first 16x slot, I have a Hauppauge Colossus video capture card in the the second 16x slot, and then an Aver Media Live Gamer HD capture card in the 3rd 16x slot - if that matters.

I put this system together about 6 months ago, with swapping out a MSI board that was giving me nothing but headaches. I changed it with the Gigabyte board that is listed in the parts list. I put the Gigabyte board in about a month ago and have not had any issues with it, until this past weekend. I was doing simple web browsing tasks, it shut off right in the middle of a session I was in, and booted itself back up. Once Saturday, and once again Sunday. No blue screen error or anything, just an abrupt power off and then it auto reboots. Line I said, it's a total power loss as if the electricity went out. The first time it happened, I actually thought the power went out. Bout nothing else lost power. 

I do a little bit of high spec gaming, lots of audio work for musicians, video rendering/editing, ect (I run a small media project studio). I use HWMonitor to look at all my temps, and I know those are fine. Almost all the parts as far as cooling goes are all brand new and clearly functioning, so I know the case fans and CPU fans are fine. This can't be a temp related issue. I even ran CPU-Z stress tester for a while to get the cpu running, and the hottest it got was 48 Celsius.

I have ran maleware checks with Maleware bytes and ran virus scans with AVG, although I'm confident that it's not a virus or malware issue, as I am really cautious with where I go online with this system.

The two times this power loss/crash happened, I was not doing anything heavy at all. Just e-mail and web site checking. Nothing more. And the system was booted up for maybe an hour the first day and only 20 mins or so when it did it the second day.

When I put the Gigabyte board in, before installing anything else, I install the latest BIOS version from Gigabyte's site which was version F5. I was able to reboot and run everything normally after these happened, but 2 crashes like this in 2 days is alarming to me.

Can anyone point me in a direction to try and further diagnose this problem? I am wondering if it could be the power supply dying out on me, as it is 6+ years old with some heavy milage on it from previous builds, but that's all I can think of outside what I've already looked at.

Any thoughts or ideas? I have a new power supply on the way just in case, but I want to make sure I'm covering all possible issues.

Thanks in advance for any help!

So pcpartpicker's compatibility filter calculates the wattage during IDLE. I've had this problem myself. Your Psu is not supplying enough power for your (awesome btw) build. I'd suggest running Aida 64 stress test and see if I try happens again- if not, at full load it runs- then I'll reevaluate. Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, CFstorm said:

So pcpartpicker's compatibility filter calculates the wattage during IDLE. I've had this problem myself. Your Psu is not supplying enough power for your (awesome btw) build. I'd suggest running Aida 64 stress test and see if I try happens again- if not, at full load it runs- then I'll reevaluate. Thanks! 

He's got a 750w when in reality he could easily run on a 550w

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

He's got a 750w when in reality he could easily run on a 550w

Not at load. That is why I suggested running Aida as a test.

Sorry, that power supply is wrong actually in that parts list. I just noticed that. The power supply I have is the Corsair HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V power supply. I better change that ha.

16 minutes ago, CFstorm said:

Thanks for the reply, but I will also mention I have actually lightened the power load recently. This system had no issues at all for a good month or two, and I had 2 other standard 500gb hard drives in the case. I took those out for the 5tb replacement. I never had issues before this past week, and I've ran that psu with past systems that had more demanding power to them, so I'm pretty sure the psu by default is enough juice.

8 minutes ago, Liberty610 said:

Thanks for the reply, but I will also mention I have actually lightened the power load recently. This system had no issues at all for a good month or two, and I had 2 other standard 500gb hard drives in the case. I took those out for the 5tb replacement. I never had issues before this past week, and I've ran that psu with past systems that had more demanding power to them, so I'm pretty sure the psu by default is enough juice.

Okay

32 minutes ago, CFstorm said:

Not at load. That is why I suggested running Aida as a test.

People have run SLI 980Tis on a 650w

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

6 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

That's awesome. You are going to go places. 

14 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Yea, I'm not a complete computer wiz, but I know that this psu, when it's functioning properly, it's more then enough juice for my system. Even going to cooler master's site and using their psu calculator and adding a few extras to the list to be on the safe side, it still only says I need 528watts total. I always go above what it says, because I'm sure I'm going to keep adding on.

I've ran this system for hours on end the past month without issues, up until last week that is. And in the previous weeks I've done demanding gaming, Video rendering with Vegas Pro/Hand break, and have had audio recording sessions that was accessing 3 of the hard drives simultaneously. No issues at all up until recently.

I've also had identical systems like this without issues on this power supply before. The parts list I posted has generally been my setup for a few years now, with me just swapping out upgrades or adding drives.

Does this sound like a psu issue?? I have a SeaSonic Platinum SS-860XP2 860W replacement on it's way already, but If there is something else I should be looking out for, I would like to be aware of it...

Thoughts?

I discovered through a PSU tester that the power supply was indeed dead. I have replaced it with a Seasonic Platinum 860w unit. Been up and running for a couple days without issues. Thanks for trying to help out fellas! All seems to be good now (knock on wood).